Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne V6 Vs. BMW X6 35i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 AM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Really not a comment that can be verified now, can it? its not WHAT you race, its WHO you race....
That is true, the driver of course plays a major role. But they are many on the BMW sites like e90post and bimmerfest that would agree that 335i's are faster by a good amount over e46 M3's regardless of the driver.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Torque

The new BMW turbo produces peak torque (lets substitute thrust here) at 1200 rpms. Thats like 1 second after you hit the gas!

The Cayenne V6 makes peak thrust at 3000 rpms a little later on...

Another serious point to consider is the fact that the BMW is inline 6 whereas the Cayenne is a V6. Inline 6's are naturally smoother by design.

I love the new Cayenne, but dollar for dollar I'd get a X5/6 35i over a Cayenne V6.

My 2 cents.

DRP

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Agreed

I don't want to flame, but truthfully, the Cayenne has never offered any performance advantage over its X5 counterpart.

Until the Ms came along, the press coverage of the Cayenne turbo gave it the image of the Porsche of SUVs. But I've always said the more you take power out of the equation the clearer picture you'll have on the true ability of the car. Example... a 2 litre diesel 5 series with M sport pack. is a great drive with 184 hp.

I have a 4.8 X5 sport and was really excited about the new Cayenne primarily b/c of the diet it's been on. But I agree that there hasn't been enough increase in performance to keep pace with the competition. The 911 engineers know how tough it is for a nat. aspirated road car to keep pace with a turbo model - hence the GT2RS.

The question is, why doesn't porsche offer the Cayenne here with all blown engines - including a diesel? The V6 supercharged audi used in the Cayenne Hybrid (w/out the hybrid gear) could be the base model. A detuned 4 litre V8 tt in the S etc... That would have allowed them to really retain the highest step on the podium.

One thing you have to give to Porsche and the Cayenne is that their expertly tuned traditional suspensions are more rewarding to drive hard then BMWs suspensions that utilize massive techno gadgetry to attempt to bend the laws of physics.

Our X5 lease is up in a year. Unless the price drops on the Hybrid, Its will be another X5 in the garage again.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:49 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
We can all compare, but what is better to you isn't necessarily better to the next person. I just took delivery of a '11 V6 and couldn't be happier. Sure, I could have been in a X5/6 for a similar or lesser $ amount, but neither one of those quite fit what I was looking for. I have a good friend who just purchased a new X5 3.5 and they love it. Exterior styling, IMO, are close (he has the M package, which makes it much better looking), but there is no comparison on the interior of either the X5/6- the 2011 Cayennes are in a different league. The X6 exterior styling is very unique. I like it, but I know I would tire of it. I don't have much wheel time in either the X5/6, but have owned a 5 series. I would much rather drive my base Cayenne over the 5 series, which I loved- hands down. Again, TEHO. On paper, one can appear better than the other, but it's really up to the driver to decide what is better for him/her.

I read the VR6 the base Cayenne was to be used for the first 2 model cycles, so maybe we'll see Porsche's own V6 in the base Cayenne in 2019 or so. I also recently heard that it could be sooner, but who knows.

And how could anyone compare a turbo Panamera or Cayenne engine with any V6?? Talk about comparing apples to steaks.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by drspeed
The new BMW turbo produces peak torque (lets substitute thrust here) at 1200 rpms. Thats like 1 second after you hit the gas!

The Cayenne V6 makes peak thrust at 3000 rpms a little later on...

Another serious point to consider is the fact that the BMW is inline 6 whereas the Cayenne is a V6. Inline 6's are naturally smoother by design.

I love the new Cayenne, but dollar for dollar I'd get a X5/6 35i over a Cayenne V6.

My 2 cents.

DRP
Cayenne v6 is later in the hp band for RPMS.........but it is a VR6 or caddy cornered inline six on one solid block and not a V design......

Regardless I think BMW left the HP underrated to stomp any other 6 in its class but when it comes to forced induction versus a regular engine.......you tell me who gets higher HP, torq, etc...

So its not truely apples to apples.....

Last edited by cordsig79; 02-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Now to go back on forced induction........not to say it wont be without problems but I am glad ford is experimenting wiht the twin turbo V6 in their F150, mustangs, and lincoln lines........some of which are cranking 300-500 hp....and I agree with the Asia markets Cayenn V6 with the audi sourced V6 motor 3.0 supercharged, pushing 333 plus hp......thats the one you should be comparing to the x6/x5.

god only knows how well their beta models will fair and the if styling will linger and not just fall apart after 3 years..........they did make the prone to electirical issue range rovers.

I am literally listening to a coworker call around begging for help......his car has been a nightmare since buying it....

First day, rolling up to the restaurant with his wife.......and the doors all lock except passenger door so, they have to enter and exit along with the valet, that way.

And now it just keeps draining out........

Wow....off topic.....

Last edited by cordsig79; 02-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
What's better in status?

Let's ask the Germans.

#1....Porsche
#2.....Mercedes Benz
#3.....BMW
#4.....Audi

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
I've driven the 35i in the 5 series GT and the new X3 and the Audi supercharged in an A6 Avant wagon. Both engines are fantastic; I preferred the Audi but my wife nixed it as too low slung for entry exit.

I drove the X3 last month and hated the EPS steering. Interior also seemed too small and too budget. Drove one block to Porsche and now get delivery of my CS in March. Had Porsche sourced the supercharged six into the Cayenne I probably would have gone that route, especially if it was the higher output version.

Too bad too that Audi threw the 2.0 turbo into the Q5 instead of the 3.0. Now the entry model has a new 8spd and the flagship continues on with its poor outdated powertrain, Car and Driver notwithstanding. No wonder Porsche cannot keep up with Cayenne production.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by ronl
I've driven the 35i in the 5 series GT and the new X3 and the Audi supercharged in an A6 Avant wagon. Both engines are fantastic; I preferred the Audi but my wife nixed it as too low slung for entry exit. Had Porsche sourced the supercharged six into the Cayenne I probably would have gone that route, especially if it was the higher output version.

Too bad too that Audi threw the 2.0 turbo into the Q5 instead of the 3.0. Now the entry model has a new 8spd and the flagship continues on with its poor outdated powertrain, Car and Driver notwithstanding. No wonder Porsche cannot keep up with Cayenne production.
I know this because I have seen it answered before, all lines have contracts on them where they get caught with their pants down when new rival models and engines hit the market because they cant deliver the SC audi engine in Americas or Europe for cayenne due to preexisting contracts........Asia didnt have that contract and they have a tax about 3 liters that makes the car 30k more in cost.......

Supposedly the audi sc engine technically could be availible in a year or so when the VW agreement on the Americas sourced engine expires.........timing I assume has lots to do with this as well.

Last edited by cordsig79; 02-11-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM
One of my neighbors bought the new Q5 instead of a cayenne, and was explaining the great deal and service he got on it.

I congratulated him on it and said let me know when he needed help on ideas to save money on the brakes, oil, and some other particulars that might be issues on these cars.......he sh*t himself when I explained the cost of the brakes, oil, etc on what the dealer will charge and how they do a full rotor, pads, hardware change every time.

Buyers remorse hit him hard really bad..........he thought he got prepaid maintenance....Im not too sure Audi does that but explained he should have a good warranty but cozy up with someone on the parts and use a few recommended places for labor.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's all personal preference. I wouldn't buy a base model Cayenne - I'd get either an S or a turbo.

As for looks, the X6 doesn't do it for me. It looks to me like it was designed by the same guys who designed the Ponitac Aztec.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM
It's all personal preference. I wouldn't buy a base model Cayenne - I'd get either an S or a turbo.

As for looks, the X6 doesn't do it for me. It looks to me like it was designed by the same guys who designed the Ponitac Aztec.
Ha ha......when bored in traffic....I always think the Aztec is the perverted attempt at a Prius......

Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Although I wasn't looking at your specific BMW I was looking at the X6M and X5M and although I ended up ordering a CTT I would always buy a Cayenne over and X BMW. ANY.