Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne CTT exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
After lurcking and posting here for a while, I've come to the conclusion that 2nd cat by-pass would be the way to go. I want a little more sound but not intrusively so. I still want the quiet refined lack of sound for relaxed daily driving.

How much improvement in mpg might there be?

I changed from Chevron to Shell nitrogen because it gave me a 1-2 mpg increase. Besides, I'm leery of techron additive effects on my oil/engine.

I'm assuming there would a reduction in weight.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gr8ful
After lurcking and posting here for a while, I've come to the conclusion that 2nd cat by-pass would be the way to go. I want a little more sound but not intrusively so. I still want the quiet refined lack of sound for relaxed daily driving.

How much improvement in mpg might there be?

I changed from Chevron to Shell nitrogen because it gave me a 1-2 mpg increase. Besides, I'm leery of techron additive effects on my oil/engine.

I'm assuming there would a reduction in weight.

I don't know about your quality of gas, Chevron gas isn't available here in Alberta, but I run it every chance I get when I go out of province. I don't use Shell gas, never had good luck with it personally. I use Husky/Mohawk as the octane rating is higher on all grades, and I get fairly good returns in mileage.

I can't say about the secondary cat deletes, mine were changed just prior to me buying my CTT, but the previous owner said there has been a positive improvement (mainly power and sound). Extremely quiet inside, never intrusive noise in the cabin.

As far as weight savings, I don't think it's enough to really get carried away over (probably 15-20lbs removed), but everything adds up and it all affects mileage somewhat.

Can't speculate on mpg increase, I would venture to say it would be a marginal gain (less backpressure, easier spooling, etc) I'm always stepping on it a little too often to hear the sound it makes...

Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
With my driving habits and my fuel bills, I'm figuring the mod will pay for itself--eventually. Besides, it'll be more fun. I plan upon making this a half a million mile SUV. Passed 86,000 recently and darned beast saved me twice in one week towards the end of October. Can't put a price on safety.

I just ordered and got a bunch of spare parts. I figured the prices aren't going down anytime soon--especially for platinum plugs.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I just did this mod over the weekend with a 1" pipe due to the ease of installation - one weekend afternoon, cost- which was $10 (already had everything else) and the fact that I didn't have to drill into my muffler tips.

I wish I did a before and after, but I can tell you that inside the car I was initially disappointed and didn't hear any discernible sound difference (with secondary cat bypass and a tune).

Then I had my wife take it around the block and romp on it - and it is loud!

My expression from my driveway was

The sound was loud in a good way to me..similar to a mustang with Flowmasters on it upon WOT. When you are off of it, it is as quite as factory

I definitely will not be shopping around for a new "sport sound" muffler for close to $1K.

Can't wait to see the surprised faces around my area.

Thanks FastHackem for posting this cheap mod.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Looks a little like the PSE hack for the 996 and 997. I'll bet it would sound even better with a larger diameter bypass pipe...

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
I did secondary cat bypass AND straight pipes in place of the rear muffler. I like it LOUD. I should have it back later this week and will post a vid.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
pics

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM
89Tiger is infamous around these parts
Sick!

Any CEL issues? Any problems passing state emissions test?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I've got one of each set left:

The 2011 TT:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=301

And the 2004-2008 TT:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=310

Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 89Tiger
Sick!

Any CEL issues? Any problems passing state emissions test?
CEL issues wont be an issue since the o2 sensors are located way way way up stream from this mod.

Ergo, passing emissions wont be an issue since a CEL is not thrown.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM
89Tiger is infamous around these parts
Absolutely right...O2 sensor connected to primary cat

Njoy!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
sinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud ofsinister05CTT has much to be proud of
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
So this may be a dumb question - but does everyone do these cat bypasses and homemade weld jobs just for the sound factor, and there happens to be a performance boost? Or is it the other way around?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
performance and sound. Removing the secondary cats will make it noticably louder but you will get a nice performance gain as well due to removing the restriction in the exhaust. Turbo cars like as little back flow as possible that is why I removed both the secondary cats and the rear muffler and just did all straight piping. The turbos actually noticibly spool up quicker and the torque curve feels a lot flatter all the way through the rpm band now as well as a noticible gain in hp at higher rpm's

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i've my cat delete pipes on the way and im stoked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne CTT exhaust