Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Comparing BMW X5 or Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I really like the V6 as well.. and with the ability to get manual.. what a big win! The Cayenne interior is so much nicer then the X5.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Jenk, I know you are still weighing the pros and cons of both these models and just hope/wish that you make the decision that's right for you. I am disturbed by the fact that X5's has quite a few reliability issues but there could be a bias considering that this is the Cayenne forum.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
BMW pro that Porsche doesn't have free maintainance..if your wife is like mine you will need it...otherwise pcar all the way!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:57 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Outright best SUV in the planet as of this day on several fronts: Performance, nimble handling with absolutely zero body roll, sublime steering response, stunning interior, audio system, heritage, exclusivity, reliability......all comes with a heavy price tag (ie V8, PASM, air-suspension, PDCC, PTV, natural leather/18-way seats, Burmester). One has to decide whether they want the best or not. There is nothing wrong in settling with something lesser than the best. After all we don't eat in the best restaurant or wear the best watch, perfume etc every single day. A 30 K price difference is pretty steep when you consider a fully loaded CS and a X5 but we knew what we wanted. It is only money we are losing by going with the CS (in my case 30K)..we can earn it after all.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-30-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Personally I think the BMW free maintenance is a joke! 15,000 mile oil changes and free wiper blades - whooptydoo!.

I had a 335xi for three years. That free maintenance equated to two oil changes and one set of wiper blades.

The build quality on our 2006 cayenne **** is far superior than the 2007 XI.

I would go for the S though. The exhaust note is wonderful.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM
+ 1 for Nikolas's comment. The free service for my wife's MINI is a BIG joke.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Brez is on a distinguished road
Well I saw the cayenne today for the first time. It was a customer pick up so I just look at the outside. The manager did let me sit in it. I've got to tell you, iwas impressed! Mid month is when he will have some for test drives.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
+1 on the free BMW maint. Believe me, they will get back back from you as soon as yours is out of warranty. That is when the repair bills get expensive!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Jenk, I know you are still weighing the pros and cons of both these models and just hope/wish that you make the decision that's right for you. I am disturbed by the fact that X5's has quite a few reliability issues but there could be a bias considering that this is the Cayenne forum.
I have weighed them enough the past few weeks. I have to admit I've seen enough threads about the X5 and X5M's woes. I even have an order to finalize and yet I can not do it for the X5. So, you see where I stand. I don't want to do something I might regret in a year. I am in no hurry. I have had enough off line conversations about both and now, when I thought I've made up my mind, I am changing it again! But, I can do that because I am female!!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 AM
DenverClipper is infamous around these partsDenverClipper is infamous around these parts
X5's are really common in Denver - right up there with Subaru's. I like the Cayenne because you usually do not see two or more of them at every red light. I like the exclusive nature of the Cayenne and especially the turbo.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Well I finally got to test drive a CS yesterday. I can tell you without any hesitation that both my wife and I thought that it was fantastic and overall better than the X5!
Exterior: Great looking, seems more streamline and somewhat hides the size of the car
Interior: Very comfortable, layout is good and easy to use, electronics easy to use. The gauges for oil gas etc are a little hidden by the steering wheel, but ok. Room is not an issue for 4 adults that are 6'3"! Back seats are far better than X5!
Drive: On standard shocks, excellent! Very controlled turns, not bouncy, hard enough yet smooth! 8 AT was excellent, sport mode was flawless and replicated more my city drive style with a manual transmission.
I have yet to drive a V6, but on style/comfort/looks/drive the Cayenne is my new front runner! Thanks everyone for pitching in your 2 cents worth.
Cheers

Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
scott is on a distinguished road
I just did the same task. I've had 2 5 series for the last 6 yrs. Wanted an SUV for towing. Drove the X5d and X5 V8 and the Cayenne S. It was no comparison for me. The Cayenne is off the charts better. Put my order in. I will also agree that BMW free service is a joke. During a 3 yr lease, it amounted to two oil changes.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
Hi Brez - I noticed you're interested in a manual transmission for your Cayenne. I have one on order, and it's been a bit of a process to get it.

Initially I was told I could take over my dealer's december build slot for a base v6 cayenne. Turns out triptonic builds can not be converted into a manual transmission build.

The dealer needs to request a special allocation from PCNA for the stick shift. Several local dealers were not able/unwilling to get the special allocation. Once I found a dealer that would work with me it took about two weeks to finalize with PCNA. I put down my deposit on the car 10/29 and received the ref# and build date yesterday 11/12. I have a completion date of 2/22. Add on another 4 weeks for shipping and it's about 5 months from order to delivery.

I received a lot of conflicting information from different dealers. One told me that PCNA only has 6 allocations for manual transmission Cayennes for 2011. Another told me that it was not possible to get at all. The dealer I ended up purchasing from has a good relationship with the special allocations department and was able to produce the allocation without too much trouble.

Let us know what you decide to order. I think the manual transmission is going to really pump up the sporty factor on the v6 engine.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by DanK
Hi Brez - I noticed you're interested in a manual transmission for your Cayenne. I have one on order, and it's been a bit of a process to get it.

Initially I was told I could take over my dealer's december build slot for a base v6 cayenne. Turns out triptonic builds can not be converted into a manual transmission build.

The dealer needs to request a special allocation from PCNA for the stick shift. Several local dealers were not able/unwilling to get the special allocation. Once I found a dealer that would work with me it took about two weeks to finalize with PCNA. I put down my deposit on the car 10/29 and received the ref# and build date yesterday 11/12. I have a completion date of 2/22. Add on another 4 weeks for shipping and it's about 5 months from order to delivery.

I received a lot of conflicting information from different dealers. One told me that PCNA only has 6 allocations for manual transmission Cayennes for 2011. Another told me that it was not possible to get at all. The dealer I ended up purchasing from has a good relationship with the special allocations department and was able to produce the allocation without too much trouble.

Let us know what you decide to order. I think the manual transmission is going to really pump up the sporty factor on the v6 engine.
Thanks DanK,
I do agree that the manual will pump up the sporty factor. As well, for me, my brain makes the car do exactly what I wanted to do and how I want to do it! That's what Porsche spent a lot of money designing their 8 AT. It guess and manages how it thinks you want it to behave. I also don't like using the flappies on the steering or the manual mode of an auto. I was impressed when I drove the CS. The transmission in sport mode was flawless. In normal mode, there was a little bit of "hunting for the right gear" when I was driving in traffic which caused a little time lag between "foot down and acceleration start" but more my wife's style of driving. Of course it would adapt to anyone's driving style. But to avoid all this thinking for you, both my wife and I like Manual over Auto (that's good for me). Having said that, if I wanted to upgrade to a CS, the auto would be fine!

I forgot to add one thing in my previous review. To be fair to the X5, the visibility, blind spots etc was better in the X5. But this would not be enough to tilt the balance back in its direction!

cheers
Brez

Old 11-14-2010, 09:30 AM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
+ 1.
Just look inside and you'll be sold. BMW has pretty sparse interiors. Sit in the Cayenne... that's what did it for me. Gorgeous in there !!!

Originally Posted by uhn2000
I really like the V6 as well.. and with the ability to get manual.. what a big win! The Cayenne interior is so much nicer then the X5.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing BMW X5 or Cayenne