Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Comparing BMW X5 or Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
Diesel vs Petrol V6 = BMW
Diesel vs Diesel = Porsche
X50i vs CS = Porsche

The X5 offers good value for the $$$ if there is such a thing when spending +50k on a vehicle. If you are the type that holds on to things for at least 5 years, then IMO you should get whatever stirs your emotions. '

Do the blind test. Hard to do -- throw cost out of the equation.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Brez,

I didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said...

I think an X5 vs a Cayenne V6, you will probably prefer the X5. Now the V8 or Turbo is an entirely different matter!

I would suggest driving an 06 or newer, used V8 or Turbo before you make your final decision.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I too was in your same position- I did my reasearch and that led to- BMW spends mucho time in the shop. Build quality is sub par for what you would expect. Go spend some time at xoutpost and you will see what I mean. X5 is not made in germany, cayenne is. Porsche is one of the most well-engineered vehicles I have ever owned!
Ditto.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Cayenne717 is on a distinguished road
i was in the same boat , comparing BMW vs Cayenne ..
after seeing the new cayenne in person , the new interior design of cayenne just blow the BMW miles away. Plus a 5000lbs + SUV even with twin turbo engine does not feel as fast as my old 335 coupe !!

but with a load up cayenne S will get you X5/6M or ML63 , just can't beat the price for the bimmer or benz @@ ..

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Please guys...PORSCHE IS NEVER ABOUT NUMBERS (IE. $$$$) or PRACTICALITY (well with the Cayenne you can take out the practicality)....Let me rephrase it. It is never about the numbers.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
medtech is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Please guys...PORSCHE IS NEVER ABOUT NUMBERS (IE. $$$$) or PRACTICALITY (well with the Cayenne you can take out the practicality)....Let me rephrase it. It is never about the numbers.
I gotta disagree with you on that one. At some point it's ALWAYS about the numbers as everyone has some type of budget constraints.

However I do agree with the practicality aspect. If we were all practical about cars, we'd be driving used Isuzu Rodeos and have an extra $50 grand in the bank.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
FJS961 has a spectacular aura aboutFJS961 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by medtech
If we were all practical about cars, we'd be driving used Isuzu Rodeos and have an extra $50 grand in the bank.
+100
We are on here because we are "enthusiasts". If we viewed these cars as the most practical and economical way to get from point A to point B, we wouldn't be here.

I have a 2008 X5 3.0 pretty loaded up we bought new that my wife drives, she loves it and it hasn't given us any trouble at all (yet) It has the sport button with active suspension and has pretty good driving dynamics. It is however VERY ANEMIC for my tastes, especially when all 5 of us are in it.

My daily driver is a Cayenne GTS which I'll be trading in for a CTT on order. I brought up the idea of keeping the GTS for her and trading in the X5 but she isn't going for it, the BMW has a trailer hitch for her bike rack and factory rear seat ent system for kids plus 3rd row. C'est la vie.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Sure we all have a budget and I will be the first one to tell you that Porsche is value for money but still honestly can anyone here in this forum tell me that Porsche is all about numbers. Almost never. Even if a guy buying a 110k mile '86 911 for $20k starts to purely think about the numbers .... A brand new GTI or very modestly used 330i would make more sense for the dollar amount spent. Thats why I stated that Porsche is not strictly about numbers ... It's way beyond that. I did not mean that Porsche is not for anyone with a budget. Does it make sense ?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
I'm
Always working
On a
Budget.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
FJS961 has a spectacular aura aboutFJS961 has a spectacular aura about
What's a "budget"? LOL

Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I bought a 2010 X5 diesel with Adaptive drive. (And sport and Tech and and and...)

Only 20k miles on it, but no major issues- The handling w/ Adaptive is phenomenal, and the torque of the diesel impressive. The cost of a cayenne with comparable power was much more, as I recall. And youd be in low teens for mileage...

I have an M5 and a 996TT for fun- as an SUV for moving people, the diesel made it a really easy decision. Hauling groceries, crap, family, ski trips, horse shows... just luxury with grunt.

As far as "Problems", every car has their issues that get discussed and posted. Don't believe posters and their personal biases....go to Consumer Reports of other sites that aggregate real data.

Finally it is the wifes car, and she didn't like the look of the cayenne. (I tried, really...)

Xoutpost.com is a good site for info too.

A

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Ard, I tried hard to convince my wife for the X5 diesel...she absolutely loved the Cayenne and wanted it over the X5 (even without going for a testdrive) for three reasons: 1) Exterior looks 2) Interior which IMO is best in class and 3) Exclusivity relative to the X5. Hence I am now $40 K poorer...hey it's only money I am losing...I can earn it with time

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
sorry guys!

tried to convince myself that I loved the new Cayenne, but couldn't. Not 40k!!! New 2011 X5 35d for me loaded. Picking up at the PCD on 12/22. w00t tried and tried, but lost out this time. When my lease is up, I'll be looking at the new X5 and Cayenne again! maybe Porsche will drop the hybrid and go diesel!!! I'll check in on all of you from time to time.

Jen

PS I did trade the 997 so I'll change my avatar as soon as I get the X.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
FYI- any questions about the X5, you will find it at xoutpost.com

More uptight than 6speed, but ...well...you know, BMW drivers.

A

Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
JenK, I was thinking about about what happened to you the other day. Now I know....Ugghh !! X5.... just kidding. Congrats. Ya bimmerforum will be your regular home but please make this your vacation home. You got to check back in Jan for the introductory post of my wife's Cayenne.

Jokes apart. Enjoy your new ride safely in good health and you will have to post some pics and driving impressions when you get a chance. Was it tough to part with your 997 ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing BMW X5 or Cayenne