Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Buying Used Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:23 PM
VTGT is infamous around these parts
^that's good to hear.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by putput6
As for CPO, yes the old CPO plan had many things that were not covered. But Porsche has rolled out a new CPO program. Every vehicle CPO'd since August is under the new plan and basically has the same coverage as the factory warranty with only a few exceptions, like batteries.
When I bought mine in August 2009 I was told EVERYTHING was covered just like a new car and that 'it was considered a new car." Liars.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
putput6 is infamous around these parts

Last edited by putput6; 05-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Can someone get me the name and address in Germany for the head of Porsche? I am going to write him an international letter. THANX!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Cool

Originally Posted by AppleMan
Yes I was told not to get 03-04. However there are a few sweet 04 Turbo's with around 50K miles that I've looked at. So in short should I steer clear of 04 Turbos?
Originally Posted by snzuloz
I can't see what the difference is between the 06 and 04 models .

I did a TON of searching on this specific topic and came to the following conclusion.

There seems to have been more 2004 models made than any other year. Sales dropped in 2005 which explains why Porsche came out with several "Special Editions" like the "Turbo S" and "Titainium Edition" for 2006.

In 2006 sales were still down. So Porsche took a year off in 2007 to let dealer stock clear out and "Facelift" the Cayenne in hopes of stimulating sales. They also offered a couple of special editions to stimulate interest in the not-so-new model. (GTS, Transsyberia).

So a large part of the "Don't by a 2004" syndrom is based on the perception that they have more issues because of the number of cases people see, which is based in part on the number of them on the road, having a higher average mileage etc.

There are very few 2003 models in the US by comparison and you don't see people with issues pop up as often as with the 04. Simply a matter of the number of end users.

Like any car a manufacturer they will often find issues and revise parts. Some of these parts never made it to the later 05-06 production and exist on EVERY year of the car. (coolant pipes for example).

Other parts get revisions and end up on later production cars but often these parts have been retrofitted to older models through warranty or other means by the time you buy one anyway. (since they were a known issue). (like coolant pipes, coils, control arms, driveshaft etc)

Which all boils down to this: There is very little significant difference, if any, between an 03-04-05-06 (other than maybe the CD to DVD nav system and the purchase price based on this perception)

Last edited by Cole; 12-06-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
A local salesman told me that the early part of 2005 were problematic but the late production 2005's were better. Mine is an earlier production '05 CT.

However, I really think it is the luck of the draw with more heavily optioned ones being more problematic. Mine is HEAVILY optioned.

Porsche has become like other manufacturers relying upon others for parts--there are failures. While Porsche in general makes a superior design, they are always a 'work in progress.'

The newer the car, the better. Get the newest one you can afford.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
seankrider is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cole
I did a TON of searching on this specific topic and came to the following conclusion.

There seems to have been more 2004 models made than any other year. Sales dropped in 2005 which explains why Porsche came out with several "Special Editions" like the "Turbo S" and "Titainium Edition" for 2006.

In 2006 sales were still down. So Porsche took a year off in 2007 to let dealer stock clear out and "Facelift" the Cayenne in hopes of stimulating sales. They also offered a couple of special editions to stimulate interest in the not-so-new model. (GTS, Transsyberia).

So a large part of the "Don't by a 2004" syndrom is based on the perception that they have more issues because of the number of cases people see, which is based in part on the number of them on the road, having a higher average mileage etc.

There are very few 2003 models in the US by comparison and you don't see people with issues pop up as often as with the 04. Simply a matter of the number of end users.

Like any car a manufacturer will often find issues and revise parts. Some of these parts never made it to the later 05-06 production and exist on EVERY year of the car. (coolant pipes for example).

Other parts get revisions and end up on later production cars but often these parts have been retrofitted to older models through warranty or other work by the time you buy one anyway. (since they were a known issue). (like coolant pipes, coils, control arms, driveshaft etc)

Which all boils down to this: There is very little significant difference, if any, between an 03-04-05-06 (other than maybe the CD to DVD nav system and the purchase price based on this perception)
Great analysis. This makes sense to me...

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Cord. Couldn't find the sticky note. Could you link it for me please.

Also what are best tires for snow. I plan on taking it to the mtns to our cabin frequently.

Thanks
http://forums.rennlist.com/

Sorry couldnt figure it out..........go to the link, scroll down to Cayenne, then look at the admin sticks on coils and coolant tubes 101, issues, where to find, and how to fix..............

why the heck does my browser not show this.....

(http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...coils-tsb.html)

(http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...e-removal.html)

(http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...list-here.html)

Figured it out duh......

Last edited by cordsig79; 12-06-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cole

Like any car a manufacturer will often find issues and revise parts. Some of these parts never made it to the later 05-06 production and exist on EVERY year of the car. (coolant pipes for example).

Other parts get revisions and end up on later production cars but often these parts have been retrofitted to older models through warranty or other work by the time you buy one anyway. (since they were a known issue). (like coolant pipes, coils, control arms, driveshaft etc)

Cole has been very diligent on both forums.........its all fixable regardless and I think the older models are still viable purchases if they have these issues corrected or accounted for in budget, when it comes to lower purchase price now and the ratio to cost to bring it into daily driver condition, some folks get PO'd real fast...when they buy one and the gremlins come out........I still think the "new" models that went to DFI are having issues with their fuel pumps that havent come to a full head as of yet because people are resolving it under warranty....but once they get nekkid, I am sure we will hear of it!

Once this boogers paid off I would consider taking on a TT of any years for the lower price point.

Theres a dude named T2 on there and here with an 04 CTT with 204k plus miles, still rolling down the highway ....

Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Theres a dude named T2 on there and here with an 04 CTT with 204k plus miles, still rolling down the highway ....
There was just recently a guy on the renntech forum that posted over 200K+ miles too. FYI

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Snow tires: Scorpions are "N" spec'd. Can only go as low as 18's on the Turbo due to brakes. While I'm running 255x55 x 18's next set I'll go narrower and taller: 235x65 x18's. Non-studded. There are others that'll work well but aren't "N" spec'd. I'd like to add a set of Porche TekEquipment chains to the narrower tires just for back up but then if conditions are that bad, I'd as soon stay home.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
pakundo is infamous around these parts
cayenne

Hi..new to the forum here..been a porsche owner since early 90's(couple 928's , s4's,951 and regular 944.....And i saw a cayenne turbo S that i can't pass up..so here i am again back porsche world.....here's the ride that i just got lastweek...w/ 50k on the clock.... so far so good.....

Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
AppleMan is infamous around these parts
putput
I am looking at a 04 Turbo that has a extensive maint and repairs done on it was wondering if I could shot you over via email the Service history i have on pdf and you could give me your opinion?
The colis, coolant pipes and other things have been replaced my concern is its a pretty lengthy service history and maybe its just a "needy" or "bad from the begging" Cayennne.

Thanks
Garrett

My email is
igarrett@me.com

Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
AppleMan is infamous around these parts
putput
I am looking at a 04 Turbo that has a extensive maint and repairs done on it was wondering if I could shot you over via email the Service history i have on pdf and you could give me your opinion?
The colis, coolant pipes and other things have been replaced my concern is its a pretty lengthy service history and maybe its just a "needy" or "bad from the begging" Cayennne.

Thanks
Garrett

My email is
igarrett@me.com

Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
?
Coils have been revised several times. This really is not so much just a Cayenne issue but nearly every German car that uses this style coil has had some issue with having to replace them from time to time. Hopefully the latest revision is better. (FWIW, I have replaced coils on my Audi S4, VW GTI and Audi A6)

Coolant pipes are a one time fix. Every year of the Cayenne came with the plastic pipes from the factory. The repair involves replacing the plastic pipes with aluminum ones.

Rear drive shaft coupler has gone through some revisions. They seem to last 50-60k New ones should be better. OR....any 4x4/driveshaft shop can build you a nice one for $200-500. I've never had a 4x4 car that did not at least need ujoints at some point. This is a similar type deal. The rubber coupler is pretty cheap if you want to DIY at some point.

The front lower control arms were revised at least 7 times based on the latest part number I installed on mine. They were less than $500 for both Turbo S control arms.

In 2004 there was a small issue with the air compressor piston ring. VW recalled them, Porsche did not. The parts are about $150 and the repair is littlerally 20 min even for a slow beer drinking hobbyist.

What other repairs were on your list?