Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

19" or 20" All season or snow? Wheel and tire Dilemma.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 PM
dw9982 is on a distinguished road
19" or 20" All season or snow? Wheel and tire Dilemma.

I currently have the 21" turbo wheels with the summer tires and I live in so cal so its good weather all year round. But I also like to take snowboard trips to areas that have snow. Contemplating buying a second set of wheels for that purpose. Should I get good all season tires for that occasional snow trips or dedicated snow/winter tires? Keep in mind that I typically drive 400-1,000 miles to get to these areas, can Snow tires be driven on regular roads for that long period of time? Also debating on getting 19" or 20"...oddly enough 20" tires are cheaper than 19s.. Looking for recommendations for both..

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dw9982
I currently have the 21" turbo wheels with the summer tires and I live in so cal so its good weather all year round. But I also like to take snowboard trips to areas that have snow. Contemplating buying a second set of wheels for that purpose. Should I get good all season tires for that occasional snow trips or dedicated snow/winter tires? Keep in mind that I typically drive 400-1,000 miles to get to these areas, can Snow tires be driven on regular roads for that long period of time? Also debating on getting 19" or 20"...oddly enough 20" tires are cheaper than 19s.. Looking for recommendations for both..
Well I live with the snow and crap for at least six months of the year, I'll say this, all season = no season, they are good for three seasons maybe. Dedicated winter tires are much softer in construction than anything else and have to be for the temperature extremes they face, all seasons won't be able to react the same. Snow tires also wear out quite fast if driven without the snow etc (probably get two-three seasons with them for sure). If your equipping the Cayenne I wouldn't worry about the 19's, the little difference in sidewall isn't going to make that much difference (traction or comfort) I would go with the availability and thats the 20's. Either way it's a decision that is tough to call (wish I had those conditions myself), I always like to have the best available traction no matter where i go, It would be great piece of mind as well knowing that your covered for anything that might happen when you go...

Tires- Pirelli-sotto's, Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian- Hakkapallittas. Tire Rack has lots of info if you check out there site.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Call Damon at Tirerack and get his thoughts. It only takes one mishap before one makes a switch to dedicated winter tire/wheel set up. It is only a matter of time before that happens in IMHO. My rec: Go for an 18 inch wheel/tire combo. There are some very well priced options or you can get used ones for a very good price like I did months before my 2011 Cayenne ws even built.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
George718 is on a distinguished road
Get the 19's for sure. It's not just the ride comfort but the 20's will run wider. Ideally you want the narrowest tire for snow. As far as all-season vs winter tires I would go with the winter tire. As the post above me mentioned winter tire construction retains traction even during freezing temps. I always had a set of Bridgestone Winter Sports for my BMW. I had them on from Nov thru March. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Flat_society is on a distinguished road
Snow tires are a miracle product for rwd cars

Old 12-16-2010, 12:27 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
if you go with all season tires check out the Bridgestone Dueler all season tires. they're great in the snow.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
copasetic222 is on a distinguished road
I have an '09 Turbo S and I live in big snow country. This is my third winter with 20" snows on TechArt wheels. They look great and perform even better, both in snow and on winter highways.
I have no reason to consider 19's.

BTW, I am probably trading the vehicle soon, and, if so, the TechArts will be for sale.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Call Damon at Tirerack and get his thoughts. It only takes one mishap before one makes a switch to dedicated winter tire/wheel set up. It is only a matter of time before that happens in IMHO. My rec: Go for an 18 inch wheel/tire combo. There are some very well priced options or you can get used ones for a very good price like I did months before my 2011 Cayenne ws even built.
I don't think 18s will fit on a 2011 Turbo Cayenne.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please call me, I'd love to help!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
I don't think 18s will fit on a 2011 Turbo Cayenne.
Some do, you just need to make sure you measure correctly. We do.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM
George718 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Some do, you just need to make sure you measure correctly. We do.
Would the stock 18" Wheels that come on the '11 CS fit the '11 CTT

Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Do not get all season tires for snow. All season tires really are compromised all around. They are for people who truly only want one set of tires for everything. If you already have a set of summer wheels and tires, get a set of good high performance winter tires. High performance winter tires also do fine on dry pavement. When the temps are cold, even if there is no snow, they will perform better than summer tires due to their softer construction. I have driven a fair amount in the Tahoe area, and if this is where you ski, you DEFINITELY should get real snow tires.

On my '09 GTS, I have a set of Michelin Latitude Alpin in 275/40/20 on 20" OZ Canyon wheels. Looks great and performs well in snow and on dry pavement.

If you routinely use them in temps above 60-70 degrees, however, they will wear faster.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
The mountains within driving distance of SoCal don't really require true winter tires. If you're talking Mammoth or Bear, you see plenty of 2-wheel drive cars/trucks going up with what are likely all season tires. I had a season pass to Mammoth for several years and we've taken the wife's RX AWD with all season m/s tires and never had a problem, even during storms when they've had well over a foot of snow overnight. I guess it depends how often you plan to switch them on and off? If the winter tires wear faster in higher temps as SBD suggests, getting all season tires is probably the better choice since it's rarely cold in SoCal.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
dw9982 is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the help guys! I ended up finding a set of 19" take offs from previous generation with the performance snow tires about 50% tread for pretty cheap. I'll give them a shot and if it wears out quickly I will just get all seasons. Now does anyone know if I can run the tires without the TPMS?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
thanks for all the help guys! I ended up finding a set of 19" take offs from previous generation with the performance snow tires about 50% tread for pretty cheap. I'll give them a shot and if it wears out quickly I will just get all seasons. Now does anyone know if I can run the tires without the TPMS?
Yes you can. I am doing this now. You will get a warning light on the dash and a message on start-up saying that the system is inactive. That is all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 19" or 20" All season or snow? Wheel and tire Dilemma.