Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sprint booster - Which mode, "Sport" or "Race"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM
tommyg is on a distinguished road
I have a 09 Cayenne S and am certainly a candidate for this.
Just wondering though...would it be best to remove (unplug) it altogether when going in for warranty service, or is it ok to leave it tucked away?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tommyg
I have a 09 Cayenne S and am certainly a candidate for this.
Just wondering though...would it be best to remove (unplug) it altogether when going in for warranty service, or is it ok to leave it tucked away?
Reread post #8.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Reread post #8.
Hmm...post #8 doesn't really answer my question directly as to whether or not its best to remove it altogether...only that "Our Product is a TUV Approved product. We take safety and build quality above all else. Our product is plug and play and does not require cutting of any wires.
We are not aware of our customers encountering problems with our product in regards to warranty."

This refers to the no-brainer ease of installation and that it hasn't actually caused warranty problems.
Great on both counts, but it doesn't mean that the Porsche actually saw it installed. My dealer is pretty ****, usually looking for excuses not to cover problems.
Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts...I am ordering one because I just can't stand driving it this way

Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Really... how bad are the S with a slow response? Are they that different than the response on the Turbo? I'm dealing with the lag (for now), but the car has an extremely sensitive pedal, especially in Sport mode.

Hmm...post #8 doesn't really answer my question directly as to whether or not its best to remove it altogether...only that "Our Product is a TUV Approved product. We take safety and build quality above all else. Our product is plug and play and does not require cutting of any wires.
We are not aware of our customers encountering problems with our product in regards to warranty."

This refers to the no-brainer ease of installation and that it hasn't actually caused warranty problems.
Great on both counts, but it doesn't mean that the Porsche actually saw it installed. My dealer is pretty ****, usually looking for excuses not to cover problems.
Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts...I am ordering one because I just can't stand driving it this way

Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM
well, this isn't turbo lag...imagine a throttle cable with an inch of free play. That's what its like. Basically, like putting your foot into a bucket of wet mud. Whatever were they thinking?
Honestly, I've never driven any car with an e-throttle that has been this badly programmed, much less from a marque that has performance in its background.

In sport mode its great, linear and almost like a cable. Unfortunately its not really feasible using sport mode all the time because it never goes into 6th, shifts too high for normal driving and always starts in first.

I just drove a 2013 V6 (base model) and that was way better. It felt 'normal'.
Anyway, I just ordered a SprintBooster, so I'm certain that will make me smile

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Just thought I'd get back here and post my findings. AWESOME!!
It transforms the car completely, from something that feels 'lazy'.

I find that the 'red' mode (race?) is a bit too crisp...feels artificially over-eager, like some old GM cars that had an eccentric cam on the throttle bellcrank, making the first 25% of throttle opening equivalent to say 50%. This mode will be a bit awkward in normal type driving, and triggers over-eager downshifts in such scenarios.

The 'green' mode (sport) seems the best suited to my 09 S, and comes close to emulating a real throttle cable, with a more linear and direct response. I like it!!

Turning it back to 'off', shows how lame it was before. Although, having said that, perhaps 'off' will be more appealing on icy roads or snow...dunno. TBD, but I doubt it.
Anyhow, my conclusion is that this really addresses a glaring flaw in the driving dynamic (of mine anyway) and I'm very happy I tried it.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see someone or even Sprintbooster themselves go to a track with one of these and post up some 60ft times from the different modes...

Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sjt0017
I'd like to see someone or even Sprintbooster themselves go to a track with one of these and post up some 60ft times from the different modes...
Hmm...why? If you simply mash the pedal to the floor, I'd expect near similar times

Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
Hmm...why? If you simply mash the pedal to the floor, I'd expect near similar times
If the claims are that it emulates 50% higher throttle response than stock, I would assume it's going to have less throttle lag when punching the gas from a dead stop. When I floor my truck from a stop (simply mash the pedal to the floor), there's a good second before the truck starts to pull, and I'd say 1st gear is somewhat of a weak point in the full range of throttle on our trucks.

I plan on buying this regardless of this post, but it seems like pretty much everybody that has owned it swears by it, and those who don't own one are the people saying "why don't you just smash the pedal to the floor". No offense, but I wouldn't take anybody's word on this topic unless they've actually used the product first hand.

That being said, I'd like to see if the use of this product in it's respective modes would improve 60ft times on a 1/4 mile track.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Its not really about 0-60', or 1/4 mile time.
If that's what you want, then just put it in Sport mode.

This is about having similar throttle response to what you have in sport mode...but while driving around normally .
Without the changes that 'sport' mode makes to the shifting characteristics (starts in 1st vs 2nd, shifts @ higher rpm, and only goes up to 5th gear)

BTW, it occurs to me that it'll be interesting to see how this works while towing...

Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Just thought I'd get back here and post my findings. AWESOME!!
It transforms the car completely, from something that feels 'lazy'.

I find that the 'red' mode (race?) is a bit too crisp...feels artificially over-eager, like some old GM cars that had an eccentric cam on the throttle bellcrank, making the first 25% of throttle opening equivalent to say 50%. This mode will be a bit awkward in normal type driving, and triggers over-eager downshifts in such scenarios.

The 'green' mode (sport) seems the best suited to my 09 S, and comes close to emulating a real throttle cable, with a more linear and direct response. I like it!! . .
Ditto. Although if I'm not hard on the pedal at take off, I can leave it in red mode without being "launched" into orbit from a standstill.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
AWESOME!!...It transforms the car completely, from something that feels 'lazy'.

Anyhow, my conclusion is that this really addresses a glaring flaw in the driving dynamic (of mine anyway) and I'm very happy I tried it.
Same here. I really appreciate my Sprintbooster for making my pepper much more aggressive. Green mode is definitely the way to go. More pedal response and still linear enough for me.

Originally Posted by Sjt0017
If the claims are that it emulates 50% higher throttle response than stock, I would assume it's going to have less throttle lag when punching the gas from a dead stop. When I floor my truck from a stop (simply mash the pedal to the floor), there's a good second before the truck starts to pull, and I'd say 1st gear is somewhat of a weak point in the full range of throttle on our trucks.
I was just talking about the CTT somewhat weak launch yesterday. I think you are missing a few key factors:

(1) Tall gearing.. my MY has 3.23 gearing. That is really tall. In comparison, the Jeep SRT8 has 3.70 gearing! Which means that shorter gearing of the SRT8 means more aggressive launches. However, have you noticed how hard your truck pulls on the interstate with the taller gearing?

(2) All wheel drive system. It is pretty much agreed upon that AWD cars have a delay right off the line vs 2WD cars. Which is why some of the Lambo and 911TT guys to a 2WD conversion. Better launches from a standstill. It take a moment for all those mechinical links/gears to engage and transfer power to the ground

(3) Weight. We have about 3 tons of wheels to get moving from a standstill.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 09-11-2013 at 09:32 AM.