Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Does anybody know of a matching spray paint for stock silver wheels on '09 GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
elp_jc will become famous soon enough
Does anybody know of a matching spray paint for stock silver wheels on '09 GTS?

Hi gang. Like the title says, had minor rash on a wheel which I easily fixed with sand paper, but need matching paint to make the fix invisible. Used a silver paint I had laying around, but the tone is different up close. Still much better than the rash, but prefer to finish the job perfectly.

If you have a recommendation, please include paint brand and color code and/or color name. And hopefully it'd available from one of the major autoparts stores, like PepBoys, O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc.

Or if somebody knows the factory code, or PPG code, or whatever relevant information, I'd like to pursue a source for such paint.

Oh, and I imagine the '09 GTS (GTS red with black interior) has the same color wheels as previous and newer models, so if your GTS is a different year, I'd still like the information. In fact, I bet all other Porsche models have the same color wheels, but I'm not sure (info on this would be welcome, siince I could post on other high-selling Porsche models, like the 911). Many thanks folks.

Last edited by elp_jc; 04-20-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think the most common wheel paint used for Porsche OEM wheels is Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. Look online and you should be able to find it.

FWIW, I had some curb rash on my 911 and had the wheels spot repaired by a fellow who was recommended by my local dealer. He did it for $50 per wheel, and the match is perfect. That might not be a bad option for you to consider...

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM
elp_jc will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think the most common wheel paint used for Porsche OEM wheels is Wurth Silver Wheel Paint. Look online and you should be able to find it.
Thanks a lot man; really appreciate your help. Nobody carries that brand locally, but found it online. Found a kit at autogeek.com that consists of German wheel silver paint 1Z and Wurth laquer for $27. Called them and asked if 1Z was a better match than Wurth, and they said it was basically the same, that he'd get the 1Z for the Porsche. If I order both paint and laquer in Wurth it'd be $44. Have you heard of 1Z? I don't care about saving that difference, but the cheaper kit is supposedly a better (or equal) match. Have you heard of that brand? Which one would you get?

And called one of those mobile guys, but they charge $75 per wheel minimum, and want to remove the tire, which not only adds to the cost, but you have the possibility of wheel damage. I'm sure with the right paint I can leave it basically unnoticeable. Plus car is leased, so even if touch-up is a bit noticeable up close, as long as the damage is gone shouldn't be an issue. It should be considered normal wear and tear even without touching it up, but don't want to find out for $40. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by elp_jc
Thanks a lot man; really appreciate your help. Nobody carries that brand locally, but found it online. Found a kit at autogeek.com that consists of German wheel silver paint 1Z and Wurth laquer for $27. Called them and asked if 1Z was a better match than Wurth, and they said it was basically the same, that he'd get the 1Z for the Porsche. If I order both paint and laquer in Wurth it'd be $44. Have you heard of 1Z? I don't care about saving that difference, but the cheaper kit is supposedly a better (or equal) match. Have you heard of that brand? Which one would you get?

And called one of those mobile guys, but they charge $75 per wheel minimum, and want to remove the tire, which not only adds to the cost, but you have the possibility of wheel damage. I'm sure with the right paint I can leave it basically unnoticeable. Plus car is leased, so even if touch-up is a bit noticeable up close, as long as the damage is gone shouldn't be an issue. It should be considered normal wear and tear even without touching it up, but don't want to find out for $40. Thanks again.
I'm not familiar with 1Z, but it sounds like the guy you spoke with has some experience with Porsche wheels. I'm guessing you'll be fine either way.

When I had my wheels repaired, they were already off the car because my winter wheels and tires were on. The repairman had a trailer with a grinder and a down draft painting station where he could repair, paint and clear coat the wheels. I'm not sure what paint he used (it may have been a custom mix) but the match is perfect. I ended up having some touch-up done to all four wheels for a flat $200. I think prices vary tremendously depending on your local market.