Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

AC drains...water in footwell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 AM
zonnie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xsrfs
I've been actively using technical car forums for years. I have over 2000 legitimate posts. Can you teach me? Theres no way this can be a common problem and "enthusiasts" don't have any info on it. A search doesn't yield detailed results.

To everyone else trying to help or feeling my pain: thanks.
same. i posted something about pcv valve and the diaphragm leak and apparently no one knows anything about it lol

Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Blubayou is on a distinguished road
Jimmygee, nice photos! I took a trip last year to the coast and after 6 hours mine was so bad that the entire floor board was wet even the back. It took many days with the doors open to dry that mug out.
So, I took my compressed air to it from the evaporator drain side and it fired out a clump of something like a bullet!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zonnie
same. i posted something about pcv valve and the diaphragm leak and apparently no one knows anything about it lol

You do realize you quoted a 5+ year old post? This forum isn't the most active. Sometimes posts get overlooked. It can be frustrating when you are looking for an answer I know.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Domino is on a distinguished road
Since this post has been pulled out, I can share my experience about wet passenger side footwell - maybe someone finds it helpful. I got this problem after recent heavy raining at my area. That wasn't AC drain as you can guess. It was clogged drain in place between engine bay and interior (dunno how it's called) where is ECU (on passenger's side) and main brake cylinder (on driver's side) located. After I pulled windshield wiper plastic cover off, I noticed great amount of water, about 10-15 liters, under ECU. Drain was clogged with all road nastiness - leafs,dirt, bird**** etc. When it's raining heavy, water overfills that room and goes in to the interior through AC unit's airduct, that is located in passenger's side. There's two ways to clean it - hard one: pull off plastic cover under windshield and try to poke that **** with some stick or hard piece of wire. Or second way: easier if you know how to remove arch liner (underwing mud guard) and clean it from there, you'll see what to do when mudguard will be removed. But eather way, do it outside of your garage and prepare for ****rain.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by Domino; 06-22-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 AM
RoyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Im having this issue as well. Wet on the passanger side. I have dried it up now and left the car outside in the rain to see if its the rain that causes the water in the passanger side ore if its driving and the ac drain.

What i havent got yet is exactly where you go to open the drains? I found a big rubber ring with a hole in the middle where i put a screwiron into..They did not leak any water... But then i read there come down some hoses?

Last edited by RoyC; 08-31-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:00 AM
As I said before - two drain plugs are located under wheelwell (arch) mudguards, and you have to remove mudguards to access them. And you should check for water between firewall and interrior - the place, where brake booster and ECU are located.
1. open hood
2. remove windshield wiper arms.
3. remove plastic cover that is under wiper.
4. look for water.
If there is some, you can try to poke lowest point of that chamber to unclog drains, if not succesful - remove mudguards and you will access the drains. But do it outside of garage, because if drains are clogged completely, there is about 10-15 liters of stinky, rotten goo.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 AM
RoyC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Domino
As I said before - two drain plugs are located under wheelwell (arch) mudguards, and you have to remove mudguards to access them. And you should check for water between firewall and interrior - the place, where brake booster and ECU are located.
1. open hood
2. remove windshield wiper arms.
3. remove plastic cover that is under wiper.
4. look for water.
If there is some, you can try to poke lowest point of that chamber to unclog drains, if not succesful - remove mudguards and you will access the drains. But do it outside of garage, because if drains are clogged completely, there is about 10-15 liters of stinky, rotten goo.
Thanks. Will try this!

Is this the same drain as for the AC cond? When the car is running, there is condensation water comming out under the car...

Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM
No, AC has drain under car. At least mine makes puddle under passenger.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Registered PM
timojdcayenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Mang0

Arrow shows area where leak seems to occur

I seem to be having the same problem, drains in the wheel wells are fine. Water seems to be related to the A/C and pools on the driver's side.

Pic attached.
Did you ever figure this out? I am experiencing the same problem.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:22 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by timojdcayenne
Did you ever figure this out? I am experiencing the same problem.
Have you cleaned out the HVAC drain? It's right where the bottom of the HVAC box is close to the firewall. Rubber tube with a flange for the firewall.

Disconnect it from the HVAC box, have a quart pan to catch the water that will be released - then poke a stick through it until it's clear. If you're ambitious - you can remove it from the firewall and snip off the birdsmouth seal on the end.

Then lift up the carpeting and get the foam/carpeting dried out. There is about 2" of foam under the carpet that holds a LOT of water - and that water will cause havoc with the wiring harness bundles that pass through the area under the foam.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Registered PM
timojdcayenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Have you cleaned out the HVAC drain? It's right where the bottom of the HVAC box is close to the firewall. Rubber tube with a flange for the firewall.

Disconnect it from the HVAC box, have a quart pan to catch the water that will be released - then poke a stick through it until it's clear. If you're ambitious - you can remove it from the firewall and snip off the birdsmouth seal on the end.

Then lift up the carpeting and get the foam/carpeting dried out. There is about 2" of foam under the carpet that holds a LOT of water - and that water will cause havoc with the wiring harness bundles that pass through the area under the foam.
I did it and it worked. Thank you!

Old 12-14-2018, 01:42 AM
Sergey_123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Water in footwell

I would like to tell that I have the same problem in Russia. I bought a PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO in July 2011. The Vehicle was serviced exclusively by the official dealer. Timely and complete maintenance was ensured in full accordance with the service guide. . However, in summer 2015 a blockage of drainage gutters under the hood of the Vehicle occurred (not by my fault). The existence of those drainage gutters was not mentioned in the technical description of the Vehicle. There was no access to them because they were deep under the hood and under few covers. The blockage of drainage gutters caused partial flooding of the interior of the Vehicle, as well as of electrical and other equipment under the front panel (including torpedo) and high humidity in the cabin, which led to significant damages to the parts and systems of the Vehicle:1. Breakage of the cabin filters;2. Rotting of the floor mat and flooring;3. Breakage of the S/U stove motor;4. Breakage of the relay of the pneumatic suspension;5. Corrosion and subsequent malfunction of the brake pedal (periodically not returning to the starting position);6. Corrosion and subsequent malfunction of the signal **** (periodically not returning to the starting position, the alarm is being triggered spontaneously and lasts for a long time);7. Failure of the air conditioner;8. Corrosion and vast deterioration in the quality of the upholstering;9. Corrosion of metallic body of the Vehicle under upholstering.The damage to the Vehicle as described above is irremovable and creates not only a bother but obvious hazard for life and health of the operator of the Vehicle. The damage occurred through no fault of mine but owing to abovementioned reasons. I ordered an independent expert report and it showed the drainage system was designed incorrectly. However, it did not convince Porsche representatives in Russia, they were neither helpful nor diligent in performance of their obligations. I went into court with them and they kept saying that the drainage system failure was not their fault and that it was ME who should have cleaned the drainage correctly. When NOTHING was mentioned in the guide for Porsche on this subject and NOTHING was mentioned that this issue needed specific attention, HOW SHOULD I HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT? And when I took my vehicle for service each year just as it was mentioned in the service book they would never clean up the drainage and make respective remarks in my service book, so the official dealers themselves were acting unprofessionally towards my problem, they did not do all that was needed to protect my vehicle from harm caused by the leakage. My expert said that the drainage holes had not been designed in a proper way - they were too small and made of incorrect material that would not ensure the safe and timely clean-up of the system. Now I cannot use my expensive vehicle any more and it has been standing for years in my garage as I was afraid to use it for it is not safe for my health and for health and safety of others. What would you suggest me to do?

Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 AM
Sergey_123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to tell that I have the same problem in Russia. I bought a PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO in July 2011. The Vehicle was serviced exclusively by the official dealer. Timely and complete maintenance was ensured in full accordance with the service guide. . However, in summer 2015 a blockage of drainage gutters under the hood of the Vehicle occurred (not by my fault). The existence of those drainage gutters was not mentioned in the technical description of the Vehicle. There was no access to them because they were deep under the hood and under few covers. The blockage of drainage gutters caused partial flooding of the interior of the Vehicle, as well as of electrical and other equipment under the front panel (including torpedo) and high humidity in the cabin, which led to significant damages to the parts and systems of the Vehicle:1. Breakage of the cabin filters;2. Rotting of the floor mat and flooring;3. Breakage of the S/U stove motor;4. Breakage of the relay of the pneumatic suspension;5. Corrosion and subsequent malfunction of the brake pedal (periodically not returning to the starting position);6. Corrosion and subsequent malfunction of the signal **** (periodically not returning to the starting position, the alarm is being triggered spontaneously and lasts for a long time);7. Failure of the air conditioner;8. Corrosion and vast deterioration in the quality of the upholstering;9. Corrosion of metallic body of the Vehicle under upholstering.The damage to the Vehicle as described above is irremovable and creates not only a bother but obvious hazard for life and health of the operator of the Vehicle. The damage occurred through no fault of mine but owing to abovementioned reasons. I ordered an independent expert report and it showed the drainage system was designed incorrectly. However, it did not convince Porsche representatives in Russia, they were neither helpful nor diligent in performance of their obligations. I went into court with them and they kept saying that the drainage system failure was not their fault and that it was ME who should have cleaned the drainage correctly. When NOTHING was mentioned in the guide for Porsche on this subject and NOTHING was mentioned that this issue needed specific attention, HOW SHOULD I HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT? And when I took my vehicle for service each year just as it was mentioned in the service book they would never clean up the drainage and make respective remarks in my service book, so the official dealers themselves were acting unprofessionally towards my problem, they did not do all that was needed to protect my vehicle from harm caused by the leakage. My expert said that the drainage holes had not been designed in a proper way - they were too small and made of incorrect material that would not ensure the safe and timely clean-up of the system. Now I cannot use my expensive vehicle any more and it has been standing for years in my garage as I was afraid to use it for it is not safe for my health and for health and safety of others. What would you suggest me to do?

Old 05-04-2022, 08:08 PM
Samuelsaint is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by xsrfs
The water is coming out of the Driver's side, not passenger side. It is not the sunroof. It rarely ever rains here and the car is garaged. It is definitely AC condensate as the water is cold and only happens when the AC is on during a hot day.
Did you manage to sort it out? I have same issue. The carpet in driver's side is wet. I cleaned the evaporator drainage in passenger's side and I cleaned all sunroof drainage (2 front and 2 rear). It's still not sorted!