Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

there has to be another way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
mad villain is on a distinguished road
there has to be another way

Hey everyone,

I have a 2011 Cayenne S without Porsche Entry and Drive and have a question regarding the Automatic Tailgate.

Now i know there are three ways to open the tailgate.

1) push the button on the key fob
2) press and hold the button where the window controls are
3) the "button" on the actual tailgate under the "Cayenne S" model designation

The question i have is...is there only one way to close the tailgate - via the button on the inside of the tailgate (see picture) or is there another way?

I've had a look in the manual and it seems as if this is the only way but i figured i'd ask just in case i missed something. Seems a bit silly that you can't close it by pushing the button on the key fob again as is the case with every other automatic tailgate I've encountered before.

Thanks for the responses!

Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Other than pushing it closed with your hand, I believe the button on the tailgate is the only other way. The wife's RX works the same way IIRC.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by slw23
Other than pushing it closed with your hand, I believe the button on the tailgate is the only other way. The wife's RX works the same way IIRC.
we have an '06 RX and it has the "pwr door" button on the key fob and if you press it once it opens the tailgate....but once its open you can press that button again and the tailgate will close. I'm surprised Porsche hasn't put this feature in!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Wow, just learned something new about our RX! Never tried using the button to close the tailgate, but then again, I rarely ever drive it.

I agree the button on the remote should close the tailgate on the Cayenne. I also think you should have to hold the button on the remote for 1-2 secs to open the tailgate. I've accidentally opened it a couple times already, and am afraid it might happen in an inopportune time.

While I'm complaining, I also find the button that opens the tailgate on the driver door relatively useless. I don't like that you have to continuously hold it to open the tailgate all the way.

All that said, I can certainly live with the minor annoyances. Absolutely my favorite vehicle thus far.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Wow, just learned something new about our RX! Never tried using the button to close the tailgate, but then again, I rarely ever drive it.

I agree the button on the remote should close the tailgate on the Cayenne. I also think you should have to hold the button on the remote for 1-2 secs to open the tailgate. I've accidentally opened it a couple times already, and am afraid it might happen in an inopportune time.

While I'm complaining, I also find the button that opens the tailgate on the driver door relatively useless. I don't like that you have to continuously hold it to open the tailgate all the way.

All that said, I can certainly live with the minor annoyances. Absolutely my favorite vehicle thus far.
Haha yup it's defs a useful feature on the RX!

Having to hold the button on the remote for a couple seconds would be good cuz there's been a few times where I've pressed the trunk button instead of the lock button.

Then again....I always hold down the lock button for a couple seconds so that the mirrors fold in so even if they had that feature I'd probably still end up opening the trunk if I wasn't looking at the key fob when I locked the car haha

The button on the driver door is definitey useless....but I think having to continuously hold it and being able to close the tailgate only from that button inside the tailgate many be safety features. Having to hold it would be so that you don't open it into something or someone and not being able to remotely close is would be so that no one could get their fingers caught etc.

But at the end of the day as you said these are minor things and as an overall car it is amazing.....definitely don't miss the X5 it replaced lol

Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
got a loaner from Porsche today and I'm considering buying a Cayenne for my wife. So can the tailgate be closed by pushing the button on the driver door?? Not sure my wife can reach the button on the lift gate.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM
tex94 is on a distinguished road
No. The only way is by the button on the tailgate itself.

HOWEVER, I found a solution online from Kufatec.com. I have no idea how easily this integrates but it does add the ability to close from the key fob. If anyone has used it, I would love to hear more.

Check out their video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTWG...e_gdata_player

Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by dk10438
... So can the tailgate be closed by pushing the button on the driver door?? Not sure my wife can reach the button on the lift gate.
As tex94 already mentioned, you can't use the door button to close the tailgate. You can, however, adjust how high the tailgate opens and set it to stop at a height so your wife can reach the button.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
what if you have porsche entry and go??
I almost have the wife sold on the Cayenne (yeah, I know, what kind of wife needs to be convinced that she needs a Porsche over an X5 or MB GL). but this could be a deal breaker 'cuz she's on the petite side.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I almost have the wife sold on the Cayenne (yeah, I know, what kind of wife needs to be convinced that she needs a Porsche over an X5 or MB GL). but this could be a deal breaker 'cuz she's on the petite side.
I have entry/drive on mine, no difference. You do get an extra button on the tailgate to lock all the doors upon closing, that's it.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
tex94 is on a distinguished road
The BMW X5 doesnt have this feature either. My wife has a 2012 X5 and it is her number 1 missing feature. Not sure about the MB.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
As tex94 already mentioned, you can't use the door button to close the tailgate. You can, however, adjust how high the tailgate opens and set it to stop at a height so your wife can reach the button.
the loaner didn't come with the instruction manual. I gotta reprogram the liftgate before I get home so it's presentable to the wife.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM
theprezzz77 is on a distinguished road
My wife is 5'0" and 90 lbs. We adjusted it so it would be easily accessible for her and she has no problems!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tex94
The BMW X5 doesnt have this feature either. My wife has a 2012 X5 and it is her number 1 missing feature. Not sure about the MB.
FYI: on my 2008 GL, the tailgate can be closed using the button on the driver's door (as well as opened of course). I assume the 2012 ML and GL have retained this feature. Don't think you can close it with the fob though.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
the loaner didn't come with the instruction manual. I gotta reprogram the liftgate before I get home so it's presentable to the wife.
to reprogram it you just set it at the tailgate at the height that you want it to stop and and hold down the tailgate close button until it makes a sound

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.