Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne GTS Shopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
nardeezy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by taddyangle
There is a gray gts with 33k miles on eBay for $49k. It is in florida.

I think the one you are looking at is priced too high, but I get wanting to buy the one you want with all the options you want.

I watched for a long time before I bought. Deals came and went, and one thing I will say is that there will always be a better deal.

How long have you been monitoring prices?

I bet if you put all the gts that are listed on eBay on your watch list you would see that most won't sell and will be relisted.

Fire off a bunch of emails to these as well autotrader to see best deal they will offer. Follow up with phone calls.

This drill will give you a very good feel for what you should pay for that car
Right on for the reply. I've been monitoring prices using www.cars.com for a while. I've discovered that a lot of cars on ebay are also listed on www.cars.com. Also, the dealers normally drop their price after either every 2 weeks or 1 month sitting on the lot. Basically, the longer it sits, the more willing they are to sell. 1 month is not that long. Usually the 2-3 monthers are easier to negotiate with. By choice, I'm limited to only white or black exteriors and black or havana interiors. I really want a factory nav, park assist and the tow hitch. We really like the pano roof too. Anything aftermarket is unacceptable but I'd be willing to super low ball and maybe purchase, depending on what it is. Ideally, I'd rather buy within my 500mi radius. Reason being is because I've visited many cars within my 50 mile radius and the images on the internet don't pickup everything. For me, I need thoroughly visually inspect and test drive the vehicle. I'd hate to fly out somewhere to find out the vehicle isn;t up to my standards. For this particular vehicle that I'm looking at, the pano roof is really driving up the price because there is almost none within my 500mi radius.

Last edited by nardeezy; 07-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 AM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
FYI - I traded my 08 GTS at the end of December. 3 dealers all offered between 48 - 49K trade. Orig msrp was 88K. It had 34K miles and was in near perfect condition.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
Ok, so now it comes down to who wants it more. Based on your responses I suspect the dealer knows you want it. If you don't or can't find other deals, or can't wait, or don't want to open up your options for cars that might be equipped differently then the dealer has the upper hand.

If the dealer is reading this thread he has the upper-hand.

Your credit union will issue a check to you in the dealers name. You can fax a copy to them with your terms. If the don't accept you can cancel with your credit union.

I would not pay above 52,500, but then again I bought a 05S 38k this year for 23,299 and was exact color in/out I wanted so paid about 500 more than I wanted/should have. Could not go with gray. In any case I know how it goes.

Last edited by taddyangle; 07-06-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by PCJR
FYI - I traded my 08 GTS at the end of December. 3 dealers all offered between 48 - 49K trade. Orig msrp was 88K. It had 34K miles and was in near perfect condition.
Thanks! This gives me another good baseline. I went on autotrader.com and input the information of the vehicle that I plan to purchase as a trade-in and it spit out $46k.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM
An auto dealer is going to make money regardless, especially a p-dealer. I have no problem with that. I'm not an auto broker and I don't expect to pay wholesale prices. However, at the same time, I don't want to pay too much. At the end of the day, I just want to make sure I paid a fair price and that I'm happy. It's difficult to determine dealer margins because we don't know exactly how much it costs a p-dealer to purchase, prep and sell a car. If most customers were buying these vehicles close to wholesale value, I'm not sure how long they'd be in business, especially a p-dealer.

Based on experience, the sales lady has never indicated to me that someone else was ever interested in this vehicle. Normally, they'd tell me that someone would like to see the vehicle this weekend blah blah blah.

Last edited by nardeezy; 07-06-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Precision is on a distinguished road
I have a 2008 GTS Obsidian black on Full Black leather with 35k miles, I'm interested in selling. PM me for more details

Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
How much Porsche dealership overhead is built into the cost of the wholesale vehicle?

Let me know what you all think of my model (see attached pdf).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Porsche Cost Analysis.pdf (185.8 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by nardeezy; 07-06-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
ccexxp1 is on a distinguished road
you are reading that correct...they probably paid 45K for the car on trade. I think 55k will be too much, however, if they won't sell it to you, then you must look elsewhere. I bet if you went to trade that car within a month you would get the 45K...just keep that in mind. I do agree with you, that pano is great, BUT, hope it doesn't break, I hear its a pain in the neck. PS-I had an '08 loaded with pano (88K sticker in 2007) and they gave me 45K in September 2010 towards an '11 (heavily discounted the '11 though). I had 16k miles, zero damage.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by ccexxp1
you are reading that correct...they probably paid 45K for the car on trade. I think 55k will be too much, however, if they won't sell it to you, then you must look elsewhere. I bet if you went to trade that car within a month you would get the 45K...just keep that in mind. I do agree with you, that pano is great, BUT, hope it doesn't break, I hear its a pain in the neck. PS-I had an '08 loaded with pano (88K sticker in 2007) and they gave me 45K in September 2010 towards an '11 (heavily discounted the '11 though). I had 16k miles, zero damage.
In general, these cars are rare in my area. Unless its been sitting for 2 or 3 plus months, a P-dealer is gonna make their money and they will drive a hard bargain. I have pano on my E63 and so far it's been fine? We will see what happens. I started hard on the low $50k's but willing to accept $55k or $56.9k with CPO. The FMV that Edmunds spits out is ridiculous and highly in favor of the dealers.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
What do u guys thnk about Carmax? No haggling and supposedly lowest prices?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Vustadumas is on a distinguished road
Got an '08 GTS for 55K otd, back in Feb. Original sticker was 89.5K Has all the major options + pano, so I'd say they know the car is hard to find, hence the markup. Just walk away if they don't budge, I walked away twice, and they chased me out the door. Finally got what I wanted, but man, it took a **** ton of negotiating. If they want to sell it, they'll sell it.

Also, I love the car You won't regret it, even if you do feel like you might have paid a bit to much

Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Vustadumas
Got an '08 GTS for 55K otd, back in Feb. Original sticker was 89.5K Has all the major options + pano, so I'd say they know the car is hard to find, hence the markup. Just walk away if they don't budge, I walked away twice, and they chased me out the door. Finally got what I wanted, but man, it took a **** ton of negotiating. If they want to sell it, they'll sell it.

Also, I love the car You won't regret it, even if you do feel like you might have paid a bit to much
You got a killer deal because wholesale back in Feb was at least $49k! Where are you located, how many miles did it have and dud you get it from a p-dealer. I'm finding out that Carmax is a good gauge to find out if I got a fair deal. We ended up getting it and it is a great car! I was able to negotiate down a little more, not as good as your deal (based on sell price aline) but ar the end if the day we are happy!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Vustadumas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nardeezy
You got a killer deal because wholesale back in Feb was at least $49k! Where are you located, how many miles did it have and dud you get it from a p-dealer. I'm finding out that Carmax is a good gauge to find out if I got a fair deal. We ended up getting it and it is a great car! I was able to negotiate down a little more, not as good as your deal (based on sell price aline) but ar the end if the day we are happy!
I'm in SoCal. Bought from dealer. 28K miles, certified. Asking price was 61K.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, its how happy you are with the car, not how much you paid for it