Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Adding Phone Module to PCM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 AM
fullmetaljacket will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cartronics
I can only tell you our obviously biased view...maybe Eric can also give his view. We are actually Dension distributors, but choose not to sell the Gateway 500 because the following reasons:
1. The Dension does have a history of occasionally needing to be reset to get things working properly again. This is one of our biggest complaints. The Porsche MOST system is pretty finicky about timing issues, and if the internal clock of the Dension has too much variance it will lock up from time to time. This does not happen to every Dension, but when one starts, it will do it forever.
2. Our unit uses an extremely high quality DD sample and converter. People tell us that our sound quality is superb - we are most proud of this fact. The call quality and audio quality simply can not be matched.
3. Our bluetooth is built in, not as a piggy back module. Therefore the car properly sees the unit just as if it was a factory installed phone system. This makes for very tight integration and no lag at all.
4. Our unit has bluetooth (obviously), iPod input, and Aux input. It will also do a VERY high quality bluetooth streaming too.
5. Our units are assembled here in the USA (vs Hungary) - if that matters to you
6. Ours is a bit more expensive though.... due to the quality of components we use.

You see, honestly, I don't mind paying more as long as the product performs well. Maybe that's the reason why we have the cars we have.

It's great to have free enterprise, freedom of speech and democracy. Anything from the Dension camp? Or have anyone tried both?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
The reason I got the Dension was it allowed retaining the CD changer, and price. It was the least expensive solution that offered everything I wanted.

My GW500 hasn't needed resetting. And the audio quality is as good as anything you're playing back through it (MP3's are already compressed..) I'm not sure what the "lag" is in the BTA-1500 module - mine recognizes my phone as soon as I get into the truck - and downloads the phonebook. The only thing that doesn't work with a Droid phone is voice-dialing, and that's a flaw in the Droid OS, not in the bluetooth component. Voice dailing does work fine with an iPhone.

I highly recommend the USB input. It's all I use. I'd given thought to getting an iPod - but once I loaded all my CD's on the USB memory stick, I found I have no reason to. And a 16GB USB memory stick can be had for $20 or less. I see no reason for streaming BlueTooth music (the Dension is supposed to do it, I haven't tried) since memory on my phone is better used for other things.

YMMV and you may have different wants/needs. I did manage to buy the GW500+BTA1500 for $510, which I think is also Eric @ BumperPlugs special price for it. That's a bunch less then any of the other solutions I researched.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 PM
racerja is on a distinguished road
Great discussion, very informative for a noob to Cayennes like me!

So what are the cost differences? It looks like the Denison runs about $500 with iPod & Bluetooth. Is the m0bridge significantly more expensive?

Also Cartronics, is your unit different from both the Denison & mobridge? Or am I confused?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We've sold the Dension product for a long time, and were the primary US distributors for it for Porsche for five years. We also worked with Dension prior to product release, as they needed info on the US Porsche market/customer base.

What we like about Dension is that they are an R&D company, and they develop their technology. Some other products use other technology, repackage/rebrand it, then sell it as their own name. Fine, if that works.

We have thousands of happy Porsche customers with the Dension product, and contrary to some things you may read or hear, it works just fine on all Porsche head units from '03 through '08 and has zero effect on warranty (there is no cutting of any wires nor destruction of any factory parts).

Dension worked directly with Porsche for nearly two years to develop the technology they use. We like that. We also have a direct relationship with the engineering staff at Dension (Europe) so we can resolve any issues/questions very quickly.

For the money and features, nothing beats the Dension. Sure, other products may do what they are claimed to do, and that's fine. You do have options.

We have installation details we send all our customers when we ship their units. Pro install or self install is fine....with our detailed instructions, 70% or more of our customers install on their own.

We also sell directly to dealers (Porsche, Audi, MB, BMW) who install for their customers.

Email me anytime for a full overview. eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
racerja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
We've sold the Dension product for a long time, and were the primary US distributors for it for Porsche for five years. We also worked with Dension prior to product release, as they needed info on the US Porsche market/customer base.

For the money and features, nothing beats the Dension. Sure, other products may do what they are claimed to do, and that's fine. You do have options.
The other sponsor mentions that the bluetooth works just as the factory unit. Does the Denison module not do this?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
The Bluetooth module works just like it was part of the vehicle. One of the lingering questions relates more to various features (voice dialing, for example) and in most cases, this is a phone-dependent issue.

The BTA unit will mute any audio source playing, bring the call up on the PCM, then return you to the music source where you were.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
myltz400 is on a distinguished road
Good thread and thanks for you input guys. I too have been trying to decide between these two products for a long time.

To me audio over bluetooth is most important. I don't want to fiddle with sticks and most of my music is on my phone.

Can anyone that has heard both comment on the sound quality over bluetooth feature?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
V10
V10 will become famous soon enough
I've asked before but the answer was not real clear, the Cartronics/Itronic/Mobridge unit appears to be able to show the incoming/perhaps outgoing phone details in the instrument cluster in addition to the display on the PCM. I don't know if there is any display in the cluster when using the ipod/iphone for music tracks and such?? If the Cartronics/Itronic/Mobridge unit is the only unit displaying such in the instrument cluster (Cartronics/Dension Reps please clarify) then they would have an edge in this particular "added feature" category. BTW - seems odd that Dension would not display the same way too but Cartronics/Itronic/Mobridge are the only ones advertising such and obviously you'd think Dension would if they had such?!

I'm not at all suggesting this is the determining factor but is a worthy feature that should be mentioned for those that want such. Thorough details on this would be appreciated.

TIA

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Actually - Dension does show some of the info in the instrument cluster - but it depends on what display you have. It it is the orange LED one - the info is limited to CD/Track info IIRC, and these are of limited use for the reason below:

As far as I know - the problem with any display like this is it uses the PCM's display variables, which are designed for a maximum of 6 CD disks in the CD changer. So - when you have say 300 CDs recorded to a memory device, the display really has no way of displaying just what CD it is. I do seem to recall it being able to display some info on either Artist or Folder - but I'd have to check. Will try to remember to look on the way to the StupidBowl party.

Things like the MP3 information on my USB stick *does* display in the PCM display, and the Dension allows for sorting by MP3 info like: Folder - Album - Artist - and some others that I forget. With over ~400 CD's on my 16GB memory stick, being able to sort (and play) by these selections is really useful.

One thing the Dension does which I'm not sure the others do - is if you select an "Artist" and you have multiple CD's with the same artist, it will play ALL the tracks from ALL the CDs by that artist. Quite a nice feature actually.

Folder and Album on my USB stick are basically the same thing - I ripped the CD's into a folder for each CD (FreeRIP is HIGHLY recommended, fast, free and it really works well and allows for a custom layout of the directory/folder structure.)

Dunno how this would work with the an iPod since I don't own one.

FWIW - I'm not a Dension rep - just a user/fan of their product. It does what I want, and I could justify the expense, so.. I'm happy with it.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
We can help with the mObridge questions, as we are the North AMerican distributor.
I just want BT , no ipod, on my Bose PCM. Can I get that without losing my CDC ? If so, what module do I need ?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Clarificatory question: so which one has the capability to see the ipod's song currently playing, artists, album, other infos on that screen in between my tach and speedo?

Name:  IMG-20120129-01274.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  131.7 KB

If yes for both, which has more extensive info displayed?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
oseik is on a distinguished road
Do you have a Bluetooth only solution for 09 S? The itronic media is quite expensive at $1579 and it has all the bells and whistles that I don't really need. thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 AM
We do show information (depends on software level in CAR firmware too) - the area has a character limit of course (you can count the characters available in other functions, or I can ask my programmer if I can remember later today). The most information is shown on the PCM of course (more screen real estate).

Also, for those that are interested, we do have a bluetooth only model that has ZERO effect on other parts of the car (such as CDC) and we do not require any car programming either - as we use the Porsche MOST high codes and hence we got the authorization to offer to Porsche dealerships without PNA coming down on them.
So, it's only cartronics that can display 'some' information on the small screen in between the tach and speedo. The Dension info is only limited to the PCM screen, Am I right in assuming this?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket
So, it's only cartronics that can display 'some' information on the small screen in between the tach and speedo. The Dension info is only limited to the PCM screen, Am I right in assuming this?
You're wrong in assuming that. The Dension on the orange/black central screen in the cluster displays CD# and Track# - just like the factory CD changer does.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
You're wrong in assuming that. The Dension on the orange/black central screen in the cluster displays CD# and Track# - just like the factory CD changer does.
So the Cartronics displays song title and some other infos and the Dension displays CD# and Track#. Got it!