Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brake pads workshop alert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Brake pads workshop alert

Hey all,
So the other day, I get the Brake workshop alert (stupid stealership told me they had recently changed the brakes!). Anyways I inspect and see that the front pads are about at 2/16" to 3/16" and thinking well..that's not too bad, but I'll replace them anyways. I take the pass. side wheel off and get to work. While replacing the outer pass front pad, I noticed the magneto sensor had contacted the rotor and been worn down and cut through most of the wire inside the magnet. .

Anyways I replace all the front pads, put all the sensors back and the brake pad workshop still exists..I figured that once the magnet is pulled away from the rotor the alarm would clear. Am I wrong? Does the PCM automatically clear the alert? Or will I have to get it cleared? I'm going to order another sensor as well. thanks guys!!

PS..what good is a sensor if it alerts you AFTER its contacting the rotor and destroyed itself?? Um..how about some simple brake squealers, like most pads..they do the same thing to alert you. Just my rant.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Taiwanese is on a distinguished road
If light is on, that means you have to install new sensors.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Ok so then it goes OFF automatically after you have replaced the pads? I am replacing the sensor.

BTW: I was assume the Light comes ON because its time to replace pads (i.e, the sensor senses this)..not replace the sensor.. that's why the sensor is there in the first place. Since it came on late...it caused the sensor to be damaged I am assuming.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
If light goes on you need new sensors......and then brake light will go bye bye

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by nyseal
If light goes on you need new sensors......and then brake light will go bye bye
ok so these sensors are made to be a disposable/serviceable item then...cool. now I know. Thanks guys.

Last edited by 03EvoIII; 11-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
No problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
The wire you see in the sensor is made to wear through and break the circuit. This is how the car knows the pad is worn down this far. Even my 80s Porsches have the same style sensors.

FWIW, you can simply disable the sensor by connecting both wires together to complete the circuit again. Some race pads or caliper replacements don't come with the provision for sensors and this is how you disable the system.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
yea I thought about just doing that while in there. I'll definitely do it now. Thanks Cole!