Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rain Sensor & New Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
russnyc is on a distinguished road
Rain Sensor & New Windshield

Hey all,

I bought my car with ~30,000 miles and I've always been a little unhappy with the performance of my rain sensors - they didn't seem to start/stop windshield wipers properly. Recently I changed my windshield after getting some big rock chips on a road trip and now the sensor/wipers are performing perfectly. FWIW

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Interesting. The sensor relies on an optical interface with the inside surface of the windshield. Dunno what is used to make that interface - it might be something like a silicone grease, or some other viscous fluid used to couple the light transmission.

Who installed the new windshield? Obviously they did this correctly..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM
russnyc is on a distinguished road
Manhattan motorcars did the work but I think they brought in a glass shop for it. The glue between the glass and the sensor makes a lot more sense as the reason for uneven performance rather than the glass itself. cheers