Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2006Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Dr. Z is on a distinguished road
2006Cayenne S

I just purchased a 2006 Cayenne S with 17K miles in what appears to be excellent condition. Dealer can get a Porsche CPO with 24 months warranty.
Questions: 1. Should I get the CPO warranty? What else should I get the dealer to do and/or check? Any TSBs that I should be sure that we're done? Thanks DR

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM
MiniSuperDuke is on a distinguished road
How much for the 2/24 warranty? as fas as maint. read up on cooling tubes and ignition coils

Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Get the Porsche CPO. You won't regret it (I have it - and have used it extensively..) It is much better then any aftermarket warranty - any Porsche dealer will honor it, and it's basically bumper to bumper coverage.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Cpo

The dealer told me that their cost was $2320.00 for two years......

Old 04-01-2012, 09:52 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Z
The dealer told me that their cost was $2320.00 for two years......
If that's the genuine Porsche CPO - that's a bargain. Grab it.. if you doubt how much of a bargain it is - go to the other forums and search a bit for "coolant pipes".. easily a $3,000 job which can jump to $5,000 if it takes out the starter and transmission seals at the same time.

Just make sure it's the PORSCHE CPO.. not some aftermarket deal.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 AM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Congrats - sounds like quite a find for a 6 year old with mileage that low. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?

Also, I agree with the others regarding the CPO - almost sounds too good to be true. What does the mileage clause say?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
russnyc is on a distinguished road
get the CPO. I've had an entire engine replaced for excessive oil consumption as well as a variety of much smaller items such as the steering wheel because the buttons were chipping...no brainer on the CPO. 3rd party warranty is a much different deal that I'd likely pass on, but CPO is an easy choice.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
2006 Cayenne S

I have talked with the dealer (I am a long term customer of theirs...and freinds with them)...they are going to change all fluids, incl brake bleed and change all filters. They are going to replace the coolant pipes for me....I will pay for the parts (Appx $549.00) and they will pay the labor.....now the question is should I now buy the CPO....it is good for 24 months then after that it is null and void..the vehicle only has 17,000 miles and it appears brand new....the plastic is still on the mats in the back.....the reason that I would not buy it is that the major problem will be fixed..the coolant pipes...so now what is everyone's opinion? Thanks DR
P.S. I paid $36,200.00 for the vehicle which is the top of the book but I am getting everything serviced as above and a new set of tires....

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
MiniSuperDuke is on a distinguished road
You'll probably be fine without it, 80-90 percent chance you will never need it, but if you can get 2 yrs for $2320 do it, that is super cheap. I personally would sleep better at night because if you fall within the other 10-20 percent, watch out $$$$$$$$$$.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
It's always an interesting question.

I've purchased two extended warranties in my life, including one from the Porsche dealer where I bought my Cayenne. It extended my factory warranty to 8 years/80,000 miles.

I never used either one of them. Not once. Personally, I won't be buying another one. It all depends on your tolerance for risk.

If you decide to buy one, the Porsche CPO deal sounds pretty good.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
And it IS a mixed bag..

I've bought a number of extended warranties:

1st - A Zurich warranty for a used BMW 535i (E28 series) - that cost about $1500. It paid back over $12,000 in repairs in 2 years. Almost everything but the engine was eventually replaced in the driveline on that car. It was perfect when the warranty ran out - and continued to be perfect for 2 more years..

2nd - Another Zurich warranty for a used BMW 525i (E34 series) - cost was about $1,500. It just paid for itself. Transmission had a leak - had to be R&R and disassembled and reassembled to replace an intermediate gasket in it. A few other odds and ends - and it was break even on the warranty cost.

3rd - CPO warranty on an almost new (executive car) BMW 525i Touring (E39 series.. and yes - I do like BMW 5 series..) Dunno the cost, it was included in the price of the car when I leased it (and eventually bought out the lease.) It never paid for much of anything - some new power steering hoses, and ummm.. nothing much else. That one would have been a loss if I'd paid for it (I know I *did* - but have no idea how much..)

4th - extended warranty on my current real BMW (R1200R - 2 wheeled one) - haven't collected a cent on it and hope to never need to use it. It was strictly peace of mind, and pretty cheap - and one failure like a rear-drive or ABS unit would pay for it many times over. I actually don't expect to ever use it - the bike has been super reliable for 52,000 miles so far, and shows no sign of changing.

5th - CPO warranty on the Cayenne. Dunno the cost - it was absorbed by the guy I bought the truck off of. It's paid for LOTS and LOTS of stuff. The fuel system repair, including diagnosis likely cost Porsche $3,000 or more (everything was basically replaced in the fuel supply system.) Just had steering pump and steering rack replaced to try to cure a shudder in the steering when the car isn't moving (stationary..) I imagine that was $4,000 or so. I did the cooling pipes on the truck at my expense - but the CPO paid for tracking down and replacing a number of weeping rubber hoses that were leaking tiny amounts of coolant (just enough to smell, and lose about 2 oz in 5,000 miles..) Dunno what that cost. That warranty is up at the end of 2012 - I'm hoping at that point to have the truck through all it's teething problems (it has 72,000 miles on it now) and have a troublefree vehicle for 50,000 or so additonal miles.

If you're not a DIY - and you can get the CPO for that price - grab it. You'll sleep better at night and if you hate the truck - you'll get at least half the amount back in your price when you sell it.