Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What Blind Spot Mirror do You Have???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM
VaCayenneTurbo is on a distinguished road
What Blind Spot Mirror do You Have???

Has anyone found a good blind spot mirror that actually looks good? I'm not keen on spending $155 per mirror for a Aspherical - and that's on eBay. I just don't think the 1" or 2" round mirrors or those "corner styles" would look to good, especially due to all the contours on mirror glass. What have you used or found. I can't find anything online or in stores. Here is the mirror glass that I would be putting it on.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That looks like a good option, although I must admit that blind spots aren't really an issue for me in the Cayenne. I haven't noticed any visibility problems with the standard mirrors...

Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
+1 - if the mirrors are adjusted properly (so the SIDE view mirrors look to the sides of the car, not to the center of the road) and the rearview is set to look rearwards, there are no blind spots.

I'd be willing to bet about 95% of the people driving around (Cayenne or not) think side view mirrors are to see behind the vehicle. WRONG.

Someplace on a BMW forum there was a good graphic of how to set mirrors, but here is the Cliffs notes version.

Sitting in the drivers seat - put your head against the drivers window and adjust the left mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car in it. Then move your head so your nose is centered with the rearview mirror center. Move the right side mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car with it.

Now go drive around and resist the urge to change the mirrors. It will take you a bit of time to give up the idea that you should see the rear-center in your side view mirrors, but eventually you'll realize that as a passing car leaves the rear view (center mirror) it will appear in the side view - staying there until it is in your peripheral vision, and eventually ahead of you.

The mirrors on the Cayenne are ideally sized and located to be used this way...

Oh - eventually you'll be able to do the adjustment without the head movements by just looking in the mirrors. It becomes 2nd nature..

Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I keep my mirrors adjusted the same way. You shouldn't be able to see your own car in the side view mirrors when you're driving!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deilenberger
+1 - if the mirrors are adjusted properly (so the SIDE view mirrors look to the sides of the car, not to the center of the road) and the rearview is set to look rearwards, there are no blind spots.

I'd be willing to bet about 95% of the people driving around (Cayenne or not) think side view mirrors are to see behind the vehicle. WRONG.

Someplace on a BMW forum there was a good graphic of how to set mirrors, but here is the Cliffs notes version.

Sitting in the drivers seat - put your head against the drivers window and adjust the left mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car in it. Then move your head so your nose is centered with the rearview mirror center. Move the right side mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car with it.

Now go drive around and resist the urge to change the mirrors. It will take you a bit of time to give up the idea that you should see the rear-center in your side view mirrors, but eventually you'll realize that as a passing car leaves the rear view (center mirror) it will appear in the side view - staying there until it is in your peripheral vision, and eventually ahead of you.

The mirrors on the Cayenne are ideally sized and located to be used this way...

Oh - eventually you'll be able to do the adjustment without the head movements by just looking in the mirrors. It becomes 2nd nature..
Despite that, I still look "around" to double check. I've yet to have any "close" moments.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 AM
GordonLM is on a distinguished road
My '83 and '86 911s and '87 944S had nice rectangular mirrors to which I glued aftermarket convex mirrors. My '96 993 however has convex teardrop mirrors, and even with the RH mirror cranked all of the way out, I still have a blind spot. The mirror cowl wraps around the mirror so far that it blocks the view. As a temporary fix, I have rotated the spring loaded housing CCW slightly, but I always have to check to see that it has not popped back to it's normal position.