Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2009 Turbo S engine help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Nader is on a distinguished road
2009 Turbo S engine help

Just picked up a 2009 turbo S and traded in my 06 Turbo S. Love the new truck in every way compared to my 06. The one thing I did notice is that the new truck has an engine noise which the pitch follows RPM especially lower RPM and the sound is similar to a power steering pump whine. Now I checked the power steering reservoir and all is good. Sound is not affected by steering input either. Is there another hydraulic pump somewhere?

I took it to my dealership and the shop foreman had the nerve to try to convince me that it was the suspension air pump. No way since the noise it tied to RPM and sound more hydraulic then electric.

Any ideas out there?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
Any chance it could be your air suspension system and you are hearing the air pump? I had an '09 CTTS and it would constantly adjust the ride height.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 957 CTT and I have never experienced an RPM-related engine whine. I would suggest you check your PDCC fluid level since it is an hydraulic powered system. No other ideas as of right now.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
There is a vacuum pump on the back of the right cylinder head, and there is a high-pressure fuel pump on the back of the left cylinder head, though neither should be making a notable noise.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM
PHAT_S is on a distinguished road
Hi, i get the same RPM related engine wining noise, before buying it just 3months ago i got pre-purchase inspection done from Porsche main dealer here in Dubai, i assume it is the nature of CTTS but ill re-confirm it from the dealer when it will go for servicing in December.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Well that sounds interesting. Can you detail how to check it?

Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I have a 957 CTT and I have never experienced an RPM-related engine whine. I would suggest you check your PDCC fluid level since it is an hydraulic powered system. No other ideas as of right now.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok looked in the manual. Simply says fluid level is checked during regular maintenance. Now I did my 40,000 mile service early and I am sure the dipships didnt check it. The more I think of it, the more I think this is the likely circumstance. It definitely is an hydraulic moan. Anyone know how to check it?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Guys quick update. I was able to locate and check the PDCC fluid which wound up being a bit low. Got Pentosin and filled. Noise still there. No change. I am beginning to think it is the pump or a bad bearings on one of the belt drive units. HOw f ing annoying.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
Hey Nader I picked up my 09 Turbo S I have the same whine sound as well I called the salesman back out they took me into service. The shop foreman took a look at it and said its a common sound, he hears with most all TTS that he gets in there. I didnt like that answer and asked are you sure it isnt something with the power steering? he said no and began to let me listen to each side of the valve cover and I did hear the sound. My vehicle is still under warranty so I may bring it to the Porsche Dealer this was at a Ferrari Dealer. I was outside the car tonight and heard it when I was near the front bumper its really loud sound that im surprised I didnt hear when I test drove it. Could be that Im listening to every sound and creak since I just bought it....Let me know if you find anything out becuase I beleive we have the same sound, I will do the same on my end

Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the insight aspen. I will keep you posted. I was able to check the hydraulic in the PDCC system and it was on the very low end. I thought that was it. Went our and found the correct fluid and..... nothing. Still the same whine.

I have pretty much thrown my hands up since no one has an answer. I am nw thinking it might be a bearing on one of the units connected via belt to the accessories drives. Mine vibrates the floor a bit at 1500 rpm. So annoying.

Also I dont this is specific to Turbo S or Turbos for that matter. SOunds like many have the noise also but not all.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Nader no problem, I am in agreement as well about it being a bearing or a drive belt. I turned the wheel from left and right and it changed tones. I dont like the answer that its the way it is, esp since the original owner layed down 140K on a car like this, I doubt he would deal with that sound. Is your car still under warranty?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
UPDATE: Took my vehicle into Porsche Today they found nothing wrong with my vehicle and said the sound is normal, I still dont buy it but what can I do?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
As I mentioned, I gave up. Definitely not supposed to sound like that but no one knows what it is. Unbelievable.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
it is unreal was driving listening to it today I feel like its something thats on its way out like the steering pump...BTW did you get my PM ??

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Did the noise start when it got cold? Does it go away as the P!G warms up?

I've been experiencing a whirrr sort of noise on cold startup when the temps get below 40F. I believe it's alternator noise (of an alternator working hard) caused by the cold startup and the heated steering wheel switching on. It goes away within 1/8th mile or so. It's directly related to engine speed, and it doesn't do it at all above 40F (the heated wheel, IIRC turns on at 39F..) Can't recall it happening last year, but AFAIK the battery is the original in my '06, and it's now one year older.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Turbo S engine help