Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

diverter valve/ changeover valve function

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
mbagge01 is on a distinguished road
diverter valve/ changeover valve function

I wanted to ask the experts here if I have the correct understanding of the changeover/diverter valve system. In my 04 CTT I replaced the oem diverters with the evom diverters and assume that they function and are positioned the same way. Now for how I understand the system. The top of the changeover valve receives a connection from the intake manifold and gets a vacumn signal at idle or boost at acceleration. This pressure signal then travels through the perpendicular port from the top inlet port and ends up by hoses, connected to the nipples on each diverter valve. I am not sure yet where the parallel port at the bottom of the changeover valve ends up. If the signal on the diverter valve is vacumn at idle, the spring is open and air circulates from the perpendicular port to the bottom parrallel port. At acceleration, boost is applied at the nipples on the diverters as well as boost going through the perpendicular point from the intake to keep the diverter closed. Once shifting occurs or boost is released, air then circulates from the pressurized perpendicular port down through the parrallel port back to the cold side of the turbo. I am not sure either in what situations the computer manipulates the changeover valve to open or close the diverter under different situations. Does anyone know if the memory kink in the diverter hose on the passenger side can cause a problem. Also could a bad diverter valve not closing properly cause hesistation during acceleration. I have read of people putting their diverter valves on backwards as well and not sure of the ramifications of this.