Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S HORN REPLACEMENT DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Cayenne S HORN REPLACEMENT DIY

Many know I don't wrench my cars. I have, I can, but I don't due mainly to time. I took my CS in to the dealership last week for a checkup and to get a new key cut/programmed. While there, they reminded me that my low horn wasn't working. In my post-checkup report, the quote to replace the horn was $130. I'm not cheap but I knew I could try this and save a Benjamin. I ordered a new horn which arrived in a few days.

This has been written up several times by others, but it is such a common issue, I wanted to post a repair log as it may help other's save some money. And be confident to do this.

First it's easy and takes 30 minutes - mainly due to taking 10-15 minutes to figure how to get both hands in to get the plug off. This is mainly due to very short horn wiring leaving no room to pull it closer to you.

First gather a star tool, 13mm socket and flashlight. I recommend a head mounted one as it frees both hands. Then park your Cayenne with the wheels turned in to complete lock. Low horn is on the left, high on the right.

Remove 4 star screws (photo) from the bottom up to the side marker light.

Tie your fender liner back to your wheel to give easier access.

Remove the horn mounting bolt with the 13mm socket. Up to here will take 5-10 minutes.

Turn the horn so you can see the plug and reach in with your left hand and using a small bladed screwdriver, pry the wiring plug off. It actually covers the socket on the horn. It doesn't go inside the socket.

Once you have removed the wiring plug assembly, it will take less than 5 minutes to bolt the horn on, replace the 4 screws and be done.

Attached Images    

Last edited by denversteve; 09-15-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good! Thanks for the write-up!! I hope I do not have to do that anytime soon since the intercoolers will be in the way in that location.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo requires a bit more work as pulling the front bumper, a bit or entirely. Otherwise is liar.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Always wondered why the horns are so prone to filling with water and failing.. wonder what dolt designed the mount. You ALWAYS want the mouth of the horn facing down, so water that gets in will drain out, and if the snail is made correctly, trapped air in it will keep the water away from the buzzer part in the center that makes the noise.

Wonder if the horn bracket could be bent 90 degrees so the mount faces down?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM
PORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura aboutPORSCHEFREAK has a spectacular aura about
Is the low pitch horn on the passenger side? I keep reading conflicting reports.