Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Installed Galaxy Tablet as Head Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
reedickyaluss is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Installed Galaxy Tablet as Head Unit

It's still at the stereo shop getting the custom fiberglass speakerbox built which will be down in the wheel well... when I get it back next week Ill do a video review.

We removed the ashtray, and widened the gap, to fit a cd player, which functions as the main HUB for the stereo, everything feeds through the cd player. Sirius radio, back up camera, iPod, Tablet Audio, Hands Free, steering wheel controls.... everything works and sounds GREAT!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20131121_164445_zpsc6881031.jpg
Views:	6168
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	304740   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131121_164715_zps82759b56.jpg
Views:	9083
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	304741  
Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Subscribed. Keep us posted on the finished product.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Looks great so far. Take a few pictures of the speaker box too once that's complete if you would.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 AM
For sure guys.... Im hoping next week everything will be finished and cleaned up, and Ill do a video review on how everything is wired up and how we did it.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Questions.

-Why not just run an amp in place of the extra stereo down below?

I have 6 cars and have considered replacing "head units" with amps and bluetooth modules. That way I can take one tablet (nexus 7 probably) from car to car and it will play via bluetooth through the hidden amp/bluetooth module.

Should also give a very sleek clean, theft resistant look when the tablet is out of the car.

-Did you use a M.O.S.T controller to install this and get all the controls to work?

-Curious why you wouldn't just use the "Parrot Smart" as the whole system. What functionality do you gain by duplicating the tablet and the Parrot?

Just curious because the Parrot Smart is essentially an Android tablet blended with a car stereo already. Not only has its own app market for car stuff but can be "side loaded" with the other Android apps. I've also considered this route. Seems like for a single vehicle application it would greatly reduce the complexity and install costs.

Parrot Smart for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	parrot-asteroid-smart-660.jpg
Views:	3633
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	304746  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Cole
Questions.

-Why not just run an amp in place of the extra stereo down below?
The CD player offers me a few great options over just an amp.

1. Volume **** control
2. Satellite Radio (Yes you can stream SAT radio through wifi or 3g/4g but its laggy and uses a lot data.
3. Allows for bluetooth hands free calling. (Google apps such as tablet talk do not work as seemlessly.
4. iPod hookup for additional music.
5. CD Player SCREEN for backup camera.
6. Back up, in case anything happens to the tablet, I still have a head unit and still have stereo until tablet gets sorted ( don't anticipate happening.)
7. Steering wheel controls

I have 6 cars and have considered replacing "head units" with amps and bluetooth modules. That way I can take one tablet (nexus 7 probably) from car to car and it will play via bluetooth through the hidden amp/bluetooth module.
I've considered having it removable... but I have a 10" tablet at home, and a galaxy android phone.... realistically, I dont need to ever remove this tablet for anything.

Should also give a very sleek clean, theft resistant look when the tablet is out of the car.
It looks pretty factory the way it is.

-Did you use a M.O.S.T controller to install this and get all the controls to work?
No, because I installed a completely new stereo, Im not using the factory amp.

-Curious why you wouldn't just use the "Parrot Smart" as the whole system. What functionality do you gain by duplicating the tablet and the Parrot?
As good as the Parrot smart looks, it's not a true Android operating system.

The parrot has its OWN 'limited' app store. Not the google play store. The screen is nowhere near the quality or the size of a real android tablet either.

I looked at this unit, it looked promising, until I started reading reviews and realizing that its the apps that truly give the tablet its freedom, and the Parrot doesnt have the same freedom, its highly limited when it comes to this.

Just curious because the Parrot Smart is essentially an Android tablet blended with a car stereo already. Not only has its own app market for car stuff but can be "side loaded" with the other Android apps. I've also considered this route. Seems like for a single vehicle application it would greatly reduce the complexity and install costs.
How much is the Parrot? Because my tablet was $249, if I remember correctly the Parrot is twice the cost and twice as limited. Install was a breeze, there's nothing to the mount except some thick plastic manipulated and attached to a case.

And like i said... the app store is limited, and the problem with side loading apps is you are limited the slower processing power. The parrot is built to use the apps it has, side loading things, you will notice lags, and lose smoothness.

Again, I considered the Parrot... it wasnt as good as a true tablet.

Last edited by reedickyaluss; 11-22-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Thanks for the explanations.

The parrot smart is indeed almost 2x the price of your tablet alone. But it does the job of your tablet, head unit stereo, and custom install. Which I image makes it about 1/3 the total cost. Which is why I ask. I could potentially do 3 cars for the price of your one install.

Just curious what advantages you saw ( and answered, thanks.). Still trying to decide if they are enough of an advantage for me.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Not sure where you got that price.

The tablet was $250, the Cd player was $200. Steering wheel $50.

Same price at that point.

Now I have the full functionality of a real tablet, I can load any google play app I want, and the tablet has the power to run it smoothly and perfectly... Not too mention the screen clarity between a double din standard tft screen and an android IPS screen is mind blowingly different.

Install was incredibly basic and simple... nothing to it really.

How about the parrot doesnt even have a volume ****.

To some people the parrot will work perfect for them... for me, I love the unlimited options I have with a real tablet, and again... the screen truly stands out.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM
And again, the Parrot does not do the job of even just the tablet, it is essentially a knockoff tablet that is running the Android 2.3 operating software.... the parrot also doesnt even have a volume ****, or the option for HD radio. Not too mention a 20 second load up time compared to the instant ON of a tablet.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by reedickyaluss
Not sure where you got that price.

The tablet was $250, the Cd player was $200. Steering wheel $50.

Same price at that point.
No, its not.

Sure the component price is the same. But the Parrot installs right into a factory double din space or with a $15-50 "install kit" to any dash that will accept it.

How much did you pay for all the custom dash work? That is where the price difference is!!

Edit: A set up that fits in the factory spot with only an adapter is also very attractive to many shopping for a used car vs. a custom install that cut up the dash to install. One is easily and affordably upgraded to the next latest greatest tech, the other requires expensive custom work agian.

Last edited by Cole; 11-22-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
First of all, what custom dash work?

The tablet uses the same exact double din dash piece that you buy for your double din unit.

Im the one thats paying for it... Im being charged the same to put the tablet in as I would the double din... Ive said it three times... the mount is incredibly basic.

Oh, we had to pull out the ashtray, and widen the gap and have leather sewn in for the cd player.

A shop did it for $40. NO BS.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
....These are just questions. I do think your install looks cool. Good job. I was just asking to get some more data points to help if I decide to change up the stereos in my current cars. Would be nice to get a more consistent interface. Right now I have 6 different systems to remember.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
First of all, what custom dash work?

We removed the ashtray, and widened the gap, to fit a cd player,

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
It's this simple.

There's a little more involved my way, but not much versus the parrot.

But you gain a lot more freedom, you are always functioning within a new updated OS, you have the freedom of the google app store and you have a vibrant samsung IPS screen.

The difference in OS is what really stands out.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Cole

Ok.

Custom dashwork is removing vents, fiberglassing, painting, etc.

The dashwork I did was 40 bucks, so lets not take things out of context.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Galaxy Tablet as Head Unit