Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

IPD Plenum 30hp and 30lbs really...

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	379919

Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Did an internet search and found the attached dyno graph. Shows a Cayenne Turbo with a Cargraphic exhaust before and after the plenum install. Not saying it's definitive, but it might be where IPD came up with their +30 HP claim. It's old; from 2006.

Last edited by spooltime; 09-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
CALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really nice
Ipd

IPD responded and mentioned that its more for durability as someone here mentioned (crack connectors) and not HP

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CALMOTION
IPD responded and mentioned that its more for durability as someone here mentioned (crack connectors) and not HP

Wow. That's pretty damning. If I had bought one wanting HP I'd be demanding at least some of my money back for false advertising.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
After installing mine months ago , all I can say its that I lost a little torque in the lower rpm and gained a little in the uper rpm

Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
That dyno can't be right. There is more to that dyno than just an IPD plenum. Maybe the user had their plastic one crack or the first run was heat soaked? It's saying you gain 30 WHP (not crank) from just the IPD plenum. That's at least 40 crank HP with a modest 28% power train loss, and that's at 96 degrees F. So, that'll be at least 50 crank HP at cooler 60-70 degrees. If I could make 50 crank HP and get damn near close to Turbo S power (that has more boost and bigger IC's) - hell yeah I'd be all over that.

And, for me at least, the fact there are no dynos listed on his site, most people can't figure out if they're butt dyno is right, and apparently, the owner of IPD even claims it's just for reliability. You read their website and they have a section of buyers using the IPD plenum and doing a dyno, and he makes it seem like he's surprised by the results.

I think we can officially call this snake oil.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CALMOTION
WOW!!!!!!! for years we have been hearing it is for failure of these pieces but like I and others have said with years of Porsche ownership under our belts... especially with the models these are most directly sold to.... I have never seen a failure. That being said IPD has always used the HP gain to market this product and to justify the price. If we truly get 20-30HP without any additional mods then this is the cheapest HP upgrade available for our cars.

After IPD's response.. I will never buy this product unless...
1. mine fails and fails consistently and purchasing this product will lower my overall TCO if I don't have to keep replacing stock unit.
2. they are able to prove HP gains (of 20-30 like they have stated on their site)

on to the next mod!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
That dyno can't be right. There is more to that dyno than just an IPD plenum.
Yep, this proves the snake oil theory for sure.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:09 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
IPD 'finna get in some trouble.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
None of the photos shows the main difference which is the divider in the middle and how it directs airflow. The stock plastic piece allows the air from the two inlets to directly collide with each other before going into the throttle body. The IPD piece allows each path to turn and then merge in a much more parallel flow as it enters the throttle body. You can see straight through the inlets on the stocker, not with the IPD.
The only real gain I've seen with mine over the years is about 0.2 MPG and that's about it. Eventually I plan on running water or meth injection and this will be easier to mount a nozzle to over the stock piece for sure.
IMO, save your money unless you find a used one like I did. And even then make sure you get a smoking deal.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Mang0 is on a distinguished road
Oh god...

So after reading this, and having ordered my plenum, I am contemplating returning it. It hasn't been installed yet.

I guess I could always be the guinea pig for the group as this forum has given me so much good advice (long time reader/lurker, finally registered) and dyno a 'before' and 'after' forever dispelling or proving the myth?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mang0
So after reading this, and having ordered my plenum, I am contemplating returning it. It hasn't been installed yet.

I guess I could always be the guinea pig for the group as this forum has given me so much good advice (long time reader/lurker, finally registered) and dyno a 'before' and 'after' forever dispelling or proving the myth?
Save your time and money and carry out an extra oil change instead.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Haters will hate. IPD owners know its true value.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
True value of clever marketing.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 PM
ICSPres is on a distinguished road
Just a little bump and thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm looking at what if any mods I'd consider to my current TTS, 4th Cayenne. I was thinking plenum and diverter valves first. I feel $1k richer now that I'm going to do nothing for the time being. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum 30hp and 30lbs really...