Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

IPD Plenum 30hp and 30lbs really...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
IPD Plenum 30hp and 30lbs really...

Guys, do any of you have experience putting the IPD plenum on your 955/967 CTT's? 30hp and 30lbs torque...if that's true not a bad investment but I am just hard pressed to believe this...

IPD plenum:

- Optimized intake flow path
- More robust design than factory unit
- Gains of up to 30 horsepower and 30 lb. ft. of torque throughout the powerband

Old 05-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Skigod9 is on a distinguished road
Then I should be good for 50+ since that IPD would fit inside mine

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
Always wondered that, too.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road

I need a reason to buy. They look almost the same but more importantly the air flow in the inside looks to be the same as well. If it does really work then the ease of install should make it worth while adding and using.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_Porsche_Cayenne_Twin_Turbo_SharkWerks_Exhaust_EVOMSit_IPD_Plenum_Kit_37.JPG
Views:	4206
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	373534  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Just from looking at that pic I can't imagine it would offer any benefit. Same size tubing, same shape, just different material.

Just put one of these in each intake tube for +60hp/tq!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	turbonator11.jpg
Views:	3891
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	373538  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It's not likely but let us know if it works. I don't go for "but it and let's see what happens". On a naturally aspirated car, the engineers have incorporated most of what they can.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Snake oil....

Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 PM
I would really need to see a dyno before and after to believe any gains over 5 WHP.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:31 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I am sure its one of those situations where if they can get you in the door with that then they are going to say..."You are going to need this and this and this to make it complete, OH and dont forget the rocket boosters." Should be no need for one of those electric superchargers when you have twin turbos that will flow more air than that little think could have wanted to.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Quoting from IPD's website:

"The IPD Cayenne Turbo plenum has a revised diversion area and larger inlet openings that further optimizes intake air speed and volume. This more efficient design provides substantial power increases of an additional 30+ horsepower and 32+ foot pounds of torque.
The Cayenne Turbo Plenum performance gains are throughout the entire power curve and provide additional power that can be felt in the "seat of your pants".
The factory plastic intakes are also prone to cracking, especially with Cayenne Turbos producing higher boost levels. The IPD Plenum will not crack and will handle the highest of boost levels."

I installed one on my CTTS but wasn't able to confirm the claimed dyno results since I don't have easy access to a four wheel drive dyno facility. I don't think I felt anything in the seat of my pants other than a thinner wallet.

Seriously, though, I do think it offers some perceptible improvement at mid to higher engine RPMs, just not slam you into your seat improvements that some other upgrades may create more of an impression of. Just seemed like the engine revved more freely at higher RPMs once this thing was bolted on. Also, unlike the factory plastic piece, the inside runners are nicely formed and machined and as IPD states, no risk of cracking (the plenum I removed was developing a crack on the bottom inside - visible once it was removed).

I'm not giving it a ringing endorsement and wouldn't rate this the first mod to do, but I'd do this one before wasting money on a silly cold air intake that draws in hot air from the engine compartment. It's an incremental improvement that works synergystically with the other stuff you're likely to do - diverter valves, secondary cat bypass, tune, etc. It's a decent add-on if you've already done the other basic upgrades and still want a little more and don't mind the cash outlay it requires.

Last edited by spooltime; 05-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
I have the IPD Plenum installed along with AP diverter valves. I did this in prep of a GIAC tune. I read from various posts that some folks have seen the OEM version crack wit the increased boost.

As for performance, I can't say if you really get extra 30lbs of torque/30hp. What I did notice after installing both the IPD and DV was that the boost built up quicker and was held longer. My seat of the pants feel was there was an observable increase.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I think we had similar thread about this back end of last year.
No one had direct knowledge of HP/tq increase after install.
There were a couple people who said they will do it, but there were no updates and I assume they did not follow through to do the dyno runs before and after.

As to seat of the pants judgments, I have found that after I spend extra money, time/effort on a component like this, that I am inclined to believe the change will make a positive difference. Therefore I tend never to trust myself on these matters.
I did read the site where they talk about the 'secret' way to cool the air, but when you look at the part, it is metal without any cooling components built in. It is still under the same hot hood, it can transfer heat quicker than plastic can. However, energy always travels from higher concentration to lower concentration, thus a cold part is much more likely to heat up vs. Cooling down further. So if the part heats up due to being under hood, it will end up heating some air that travels in it too.
So I have no idea what benefit the part would give if volume of air traveling through it is same.
Renaissance.man built his own, with higher volume via pipe diameter, which could make difference..should check out his thread.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ciaka
So I have no idea what benefit the part would give if volume of air traveling through it is same.

IPD's marketing description states it has "larger inlet openings" which suggests it may have a higher flow capacity than the plastic factory piece.

With the engine putting out a factory rated 521HP in the CTTS, and considering the weight of these vehicles, chances are likely that you would never feel the difference whether you lost or gained 30HP. The IPD plenum won't diminish performance and likely helps at least a little, so while I'm totally okay with it, I get why others might choose different mods altogether or other approaches to the plenum mod.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
I really don't see how *just* doing the IPD plenum will do much of anything since you're still running the stock intercoolers, and the flow into the IPD plenum will only be as much as what's flowing out of the intercoolers. I could see doing this as part of a whole update to the intake system, but I've never heard of something like this making that much power in any other forced induction car. The air volume entering the throttle body is only going to be as efficient as the most constricting aspect of the plumbing previous to that. You can't just put a giant nozzle at the end of a garden hose and think you're going to shoot water out like a firefighter. If Porsche thought just widening that plenum a bit with stock IC's would net that much power, they would have done so. But, there is a lot more that goes into the design of a system like that. You also need to account for velocity at the throttle body, and just making a giant IPD plenum will slow the velocity down. A tubing system where it constricts and expands creates turbulence, which creates drag, which makes everything less efficient. If you've ever run a CFD model on something like this, nothing is usually as linear as "bigger is better." If I were going to do this properly, I'd do the CTTS IC's, larger plenum, and larger throttle body.

The CTTS has larger IC's, plenum, throttle body, and runs more boost. And, it's only making 70 HP more than the CTT. And yet, you can get damn near close to that with just getting a retune on an otherwise stock CTT running close to the same boost levels of the CTTS. I would believe better IC's making you 30 horse, or different downpipes, but not the IPD plenum alone. One of the benefits of the CTTS IC's is less pressure drop through the IC. So, if you're flowing more air out of it, then I could see an IPD plenum making sense.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Snake oil.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum 30hp and 30lbs really...