Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne 957 4.8l V8 Thermostat and Water Pump DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:27 PM
KTI
KTI is on a distinguished road
Not sure if anyone has an insight on what else might cause slow heat up.

I replaced the thermostat, took it out again tested it, took it out again to make sure everything is lined up but still the engine doesn't heat up to operating temp "185F" takes 15 minutes or longer.

Is there any other way like hoses aren't connected correctly? I purchased the car used with this issue.

The problem with the thermostat, its not stuck open, its closed. Installed closed and when I pull it apart again to inspect it, its shut.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:38 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Bad coolant temp sensor?

Originally Posted by KelTecInnovations
Not sure if anyone has an insight on what else might cause slow heat up.
I tried using zip tie method to pull out but did not work. Was stuck in there pretty good! I did fun a large metal shaving I can't figure out why it was in there or what it is from?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:01 PM
KTI
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Bad coolant temp sensor?

I tried using zip tie method to pull out but did not work. Was stuck in there pretty good! I did fun a large metal shaving I can't figure out why it was in there or what it is from?
I think I found it

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...mall/pic01.JPG

That is a good idea. Possibly a bad coolant temp sensor that's slow to detect temperature change. hmmm. Anyways where can I find the sensor location?

The metal shaving you found, maybe from water pump?

The Cayenne issue I have. The car will eventually heat up to operating temperature, but takes forever. If I drive it on the freeway on a cold night it would drop from 185-194F to 160-165F. I really hope its just the coolant temp sensor.

The thermostat isn't stuck open from visual inspection and boiling and testing the temp when it opens and closes. Is there some kind of gasket behind the thermostat? Am I missing something where water could get through?

Last edited by KTI; 12-07-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you check your coolant temp with a durametric? Might rule out a bad gauge or sensor?

Looking at the shaving I found maybe it is from the pump? Not sure how that's possible pump feels solid with no play.

Originally Posted by KelTecInnovations
I think I found it

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...mall/pic01.JPG

That is a good idea. Possibly a bad coolant temp sensor that's slow to detect temperature change. hmmm. Anyways where can I find the sensor location?

The metal shaving you found, maybe from water pump?

The Cayenne issue I have. The car will eventually heat up to operating temperature, but takes forever. If I drive it on the freeway on a cold night it would drop from 185-194F to 160-165F. I really hope its just the coolant temp sensor.

The thermostat isn't stuck open from visual inspection and boiling and testing the temp when it opens and closes. Is there some kind of gasket behind the thermostat? Am I missing something where water could get through?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 AM
KTI
I use ultra gauge http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Too lazy to run durametric which requires my laptop, where the ultra gauge does the same reading of coolant temp.

at 10 minute idling 165F coolant temp
at 15 minutes idling 185F coolant temp

Is that normal for you guys?

I'll run durametric and see if there's any different.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 AM
KTI
That is very strange. Casting left over? its a huge piece.

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Did you check your coolant temp with a durametric? Might rule out a bad gauge or sensor?

Looking at the shaving I found maybe it is from the pump? Not sure how that's possible pump feels solid with no play.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:50 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Well I finally got around to doing this tstat replacment.
I had to use the brute force method to get the socket out (what a pain!!!).
But got it all zipped back up and took her for a ride to warm it up.
I have a leak, but not from the repaired tstat or water pump, that area is bone dry. I cant find any leak at all, it seems to be just leaking out of the overflow tube then I get a coolant low display after about 4 trips around the block. I have refilled it & warmed it up with heater on, let it cool several times & and it still leaks although now much less that the first time. about 2-3 oz after shut off. the Coolant tank is holding pressure as I hear it release when I remove the cap. I removed all covers from bottom and it is dripping right by the front jack point on passenger side. I had no leaks prior to tstat replacement. It now warms up much faster that before & needle stays right at center. Anybody have any issues like this or any ideas?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Get a pressure tester. Use uv dye if you need to.

Originally Posted by mrbrianc
I have a leak, but not from the repaired tstat or water pump, that area is bone dry. I cant find any leak at all, it seems to be just leaking out of the overflow tube then I get a coolant low display after about 4 trips around the block. I have refilled it & warmed it up with heater on, let it cool several times & and it still leaks although now much less that the first time. about 2-3 oz after shut off. the Coolant tank is holding pressure as I hear it release when I remove the cap. I removed all covers from bottom and it is dripping right by the front jack point on passenger side. I had no leaks prior to tstat replacement. It now warms up much faster that before & needle stays right at center. Anybody have any issues like this or any ideas?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 PM
KTI
Did you use new water pump gasket, new o-rings for the T-stat intake socket?

Did you remove the radiator hoses? I took off the quick connect radiator hose and it wasn't seated properly so it was seeping.

If its leaking at the bottom of the water pump you won't be able to see it up top. If its leaking at the T-stat intake socket it leaks into the valley area and behind the water pump which is difficult to see.

Originally Posted by mrbrianc

Old 12-15-2015, 04:21 PM
KTI
I think I found where that piece came from.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 PM
KTI
PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM

I am still having issue with the thermostat. I purchased another new thermostat. Tested open and close at proper temperature.

PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM

While installing the thermostat in the housing, I took apart the old thermostat without the spring to see fitment inside the housing and movement. There is alot of play and movement. I feel my housing is missing something. Can someone confirm where the screw driver is pointing at. Is there suppose to be a washer or ring I'm missing?

I feel there is too much gap or play which allows cold water to get by which is why I'm concluding I'm missing something, as I tried 5 times with new parts to remedy this issue.

Anyone else have photos of where the screw driver is pointing?

Am I missing anything?

Notice the wear marks on the OP's thermostat body? Mine doesn't have play or friction as I slide the body without spring in and out, which explains how I'm getting cold water. PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM

Last edited by KTI; 02-01-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:43 PM
KTI
This is the closest one I can find online. It looks like there is something I'm missing?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:07 PM
KTI
Found a photo that shows the missing part. Still tracking it down. What I get for buying a 3rd hand car, missing parts. Wasting my time doing the thermostat change not knowing that part is missing.

I viewed the Porsche parts diagram and it doesn't show that part. If I have to buy the whole darn housing just for that ring..... $300 part FML

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
What brand Water pump and thermostat are you using?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 10-16-2016, 12:29 AM
KTI
Originally Posted by sempaipaul
What brand Water pump and thermostat are you using?

Thanks,
Paul

Thermostat BEHR
Water Pump GEBA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 957 4.8l V8 Thermostat and Water Pump DIY