Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Clean INSIDE of headlights!? It can be done!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 04:12 PM
compositeguy is on a distinguished road
I ordered the same one and will try it when it gets here. Will report back.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Walmart and Autozone also sells the same fuel dryer Methanol solution called, HEET. It's dirt cheap!

Old 11-24-2016, 10:42 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
Walmart and Autozone also sells the same fuel dryer Methanol solution called, HEET. It's dirt cheap!
But what's the purity? Any contamination will be left on the surfaces of the reflectors and lenses.

Use of non methyl alcohol is likely to cause problems since the evaporative time may be longer and allow it to absorb moisture from the air.

The use of clear-headed material works great to keep lenses from deterioration again. It also works to keep them from fogging up to begin with if you have clear ones. Good for the fog lights too.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:45 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
That should be "clear-bra" not "clear-headed". Damn Android autocorrect.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deilenberger
But what's the purity? Any contamination will be left on the surfaces of the reflectors and lenses.

Use of non methyl alcohol is likely to cause problems since the evaporative time may be longer and allow it to absorb moisture from the air.

The use of clear-headed material works great to keep lenses from deterioration again. It also works to keep them from fogging up to begin with if you have clear ones. Good for the fog lights too.
MSDS from the makers of HEET states it's 100% Methanol.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:29 PM
This was a failed experiment for me. My headlights weren't too bad, but I made them worse and may just have to replace them now.

- For my case, the methanol flush did not resolve the hazing. I don't know why since others seem to have success. But it didn't work.
- Now here is the bad part. The silver paint is SENSITIVE. The plastic tube from the siphon caused light scratches to it. I don't know if this was because the methanol made it sensitive.
- In the silver painted areas that I sloshed with methanol, the silver became slightly discolored. I went back and sloshed all the silver paint and it seemed to even it out. Not a huge deal.
- I think you need something better than a basic siphon. The tube kept curling up and I couldn't get it seated in the corner (thought my attempts cause the paint to scratch). What I did was use a spray nozzle with a straw attached to extend the length. This worked perfectly...almost. The end of the straw scratched the paint, doing a lot of cosmetic damage to the corner...did I mention it was sensitive!
- If I had to do it again, I might consider just using a small amount of methanol (only allowing it to touch the inside plastic and not he sliver pain) and then let it evaporate. That might not work, but there the risk of damage is very low. The problem is that you may pick up some chunks and they can be tricky to get rid of.
- Alternatively, I would make sure I had a good way to get the fluid out and be able to position it in the corner. I think the sprayer with a straw would be fine, but the tip would need some foam around it to keep it from scratching the paint. You could also wrap a small wood rod (or something else stiff) with the siphon tube. It just needs to be stiffer. If I had done this in the first place, I wouldn't have really buggered it up.
- With this info, you shouldn't damage the headlight. Be careful with that silver paint!

Last edited by compositeguy; 11-27-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by compositeguy
This was a failed experiment for me. My headlights weren't too bad, but I made them worse and may just have to replace them now.

- For my case, the methanol flush did not resolve the hazing. I don't know why since others seem to have success. But it didn't work.
- Now here is the bad part. The silver paint is SENSITIVE. The plastic tube from the siphon caused light scratches to it. I don't know if this was because the methanol made it sensitive.
- In the silver painted areas that I sloshed with methanol, the silver became slightly discolored. I went back and sloshed all the silver paint and it seemed to even it out. Not a huge deal.
- I think you need something better than a basic siphon. The tube kept curling up and I couldn't get it seated in the corner (thought my attempts cause the paint to scratch). What I did was use a spray nozzle with a straw attached to extend the length. This worked perfectly...almost. The end of the straw scratched the paint, doing a lot of cosmetic damage to the corner...did I mention it was sensitive!
- If I had to do it again, I might consider just using a small amount of methanol (only allowing it to touch the inside plastic and not he sliver pain) and then let it evaporate. That might not work, but there the risk of damage is very low. The problem is that you may pick up some chunks and they can be tricky to get rid of.
- Alternatively, I would make sure I had a good way to get the fluid out and be able to position it in the corner. I think the sprayer with a straw would be fine, but the tip would need some foam around it to keep it from scratching the paint. You could also wrap a small wood rod (or something else stiff) with the siphon tube. It just needs to be stiffer. If I had done this in the first place, I wouldn't have really buggered it up.
- With this info, you shouldn't damage the headlight. Be careful with that silver paint!
I cleaned mine inside, using cheap HEET applied on a clean microfiber cloth. I used a long, curved plastic stick. The curve of the stick allowed the cloth to reach every nook and cranny of the lens interior.

A 15min evaporation time....DONE.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Shoot, you should have said something before I screwed mine up. Did you have to apply some force to the tip with the cloth? I am wondering if that is why it didn't work for me (sloshing wasn't enough). Which light did you use to access the entire inside surface?

EDIT: Well, now I know why it didn't work. After trying a microfiber cloth, it became apparent the issue was on the outside. I had a pro do it and he said it was on the inside. I have also done it with 600 grit and that couldn't get it (usually start around 1000 grit) so 600 was relatively aggressive. I went to a 300 grit and it started coming off. Then worked it from there and looks great...minus the buggered up part I did. Now it will be interesting to see if I can apply some silver paint to the damaged areas. I guess the moral of the story is be 100% sure the issue is on the inside before going this route.

Last edited by compositeguy; 11-27-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 AM
Paolo Rindone is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, works for me asweel!
Save 3000EUR