Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gas strut replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Gas strut replacement

If you haven't yet replaced the gas struts assisting the doors, bonnet, and boot of your Gaydon Aston Martin...you will!
1) Don't be afraid of the job. This is well within the ability of just about anyone (in fact, replacing the bonnet and boot struts is the easiest job you will ever do next to checking your oil (actually, it might be easier...)
2) Just for easy reference, the bonnet strut part number (for my '06 DB9, anyway) is 4G43-16C826-AB. If you google that combined with Aston you'll see several sellers. The boot strut is 4G43-L406A10-AB.
3) Hint #1: When "retracting" the spring clip that holds the strut receiver to the ball on the car, practice on the new strut first before you install it. You'll need a small-bladed screwdriver. And when you retract the springs on the old struts to remove them, be careful not to scratch your paint because the screwdriver WILL slip!
4) Hint #2: You do not need to pre-position the spring clips on the new struts to install them. Just leave them as they are and push the receivers onto the ***** and they'll snap into place. It takes less than thirty seconds to actually do the installation of a new bonnet or boot strut!
5) The door struts are more challenging for two reasons: you have to remove the front wheel well liners (or at least PARTIALLY remove them...I cheated and "sprung them" out of the way); secondly, visibility and reach is a little challenging. Nevertheless, it's still easily within the capabilities of most people and there are very good instructions with photos on this site...just do a search. (Sorry...I don't have the part numbers for the doors handy; I did those several months ago).
Replacing your gas struts is one of the easiest and most rewarding jobs you can do yourself, and the parts are some of the most reasonably-priced, too!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Agreed! Easy to do and a nice improvement. Also fairly inexpensive. I recently replaced all the gas struts (boot, bonnet, doors) on my 2007 V8 Vantage and now the doors stay open at any angle, the boot lid doesn't fall on my head when it's cold outside, and the bonnet lo longer drops on its own from any angle. The boot and bonnet struts are crazy simple to replace, the doors are a little more difficult but not all that bad.