Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CTT HID Headlight - may need help - may have screwed up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
CTT HID Headlight - may need help - may have screwed up

My driver light low beam HID was flickering for some time. Eventually started giving me the dipped beam message (when headlight low beam would go off, and on with few seconds in between). Sometimes the light would go off/on for several iterations, then stay on for a while, other times I have to turn car off and on again, try see if light blinks again.

So I got focused today to fix this.
Took light out, and:

- made sure tray is not loose
- replaced harness
- opened up the ballast and made sure connections are tight.

I put it all back together. Now the low beam does not come on at all.
Anyone can think of a way to try debug where the issue is?
With the harness plugged in, I can see blinkers, can see high beams. Low beams do not work.
Could I have screwed up the ballast somehow? All I did was to disconnect the two sockets, spray some contact cleaner, then put it all back together. Also, since many of the internal wires are very brittle and start cracking insulation off, I used liquide tape to go over some wires most at risk of a short. Thats all I did.

Suggestions will be most welcome.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
If it's only one side, try swapping parts from the other side/headlamp to see if its isolated to the bulb or ballast or something else.

I recently changed both bulbs and it was a relatively simple process, just remember not to touch the glass on the bulb as it could affects its life.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:09 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Got headlight not working sorted out. Was a short inside headlight. Brittle wiring shielding crumbling off. Got liquid tape, ainted on wires in few coats. Now light turns on. Still get dipped beam message and driver ligbt blinks on and off, but at least it works. Next step swap ballast see if blinking sfill.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
was dreading doing this but the internal harness for these lights is so brittle, a lot of insulation is coming off wiring. This causes wires to short. So bit the bullet and went ahead to cut and shrink tube each wire. Took a long time but wires are now all separate.
There is a double wire in there, zip tied together and inside same shrink tube. That one was in same shape. **** poor materials selection for this headlight.
Tomorrow am will get to drive to ensure nothing turns off unexpectedly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.