Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snow tire advice...speed rating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Magdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Snow tire advice...speed rating

I need a winter wheelset for my newly acquired 09 GTS 6MT. The previous owner swapped summer/winters on the stock 21’s. Those existing Pirelli Scorpions are close to being trash. I have been a complete Nokian devotee since 1990, but was very unsatisfied with the last set on my previous DD. That had as much to do with width, and vehicle power, as anything. Because of the front calipers, 18” wheels were as small as I could go in 2016..that necessitated a 225/40/18 snow. The Nokian R2 was only S rated, and that little hot hatch literally burned them to the nubs in a little over two winters.

The second winter wheelset(bent 5 wheels in 2 winters, + a couple months this year)were white...and aggressive driving yielded rubber all over them.

My concern, while the GTS ain’t no hot hatch, it does have ability, and power. The Porsche manual shows V rated winter rubber specs. Honestly I am leary getting any S, or R rated winter tire for this. I want either an 18”, or 19” wheel/tire combo ideally.

So, thoughts on speed rating.

i live in Central New York...we USED to get winter, all winter long. Currently enduring a winter storm, and reactions, cancellations are like we are South of the border. More dry, wet days with moderate temps...have had me rethinking what I need for winter rubber.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Really...420 views and not one single response? Either helpful, or condescending, I expected so much more.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Please dont get mad. Many folks dont need winter tires. In the end, it is still up to you to decide, so maybe you should just research on tire sites and just choose one. I am sure you wont go wrong.
I drive in full time summer rubbers all year long, so have no idea. Now, you have 421 views and 1 response. Good luck with your tires though.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
Please dont get mad. Many folks dont need winter tires. In the end, it is still up to you to decide, so maybe you should just research on tire sites and just choose one. I am sure you wont go wrong.
I drive in full time summer rubbers all year long, so have no idea. Now, you have 421 views and 1 response. Good luck with your tires though.
I’m in Central New York, and we get snow...not as much, or for as long as when I was younger, but it still comes down.

I have always defaulted winter “performance” to the best tire for snowpack, ice, and slush...and Nokian’s have been that winter tire of choice for almost 30 years. The last few winters, lighter snow, and higher average temperatures...simply destroyed the last set of Nokians I had on my DD.

I am leaning toward a V rated “performance winter” tire, looking toward wet, cold roads next. Currently the pig has Pirelli Scorpion winters on it, and the rears are at the wear bars. At recommend tire pressures, 39F, 49R...it’s a little squirrelly.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Have you gone to simpletire.com? Tirerack.com? They can help with selection. I dont use 18" wheels, so you will have to research plus a little trust. Good luck with the shopping.