Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cylinder Score Noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Dariopks is an unknown quantity at this point
Cylinder Score Noise?

Hello everyone!

Recently I noticed a noise coming from the engine bay, driver side, on my Cayenne 2008 S.

It sounds a lot like similar noises I checked on Youtube where the car was diagnosed with cylinder scoring... Just posting a quick video here to get the opinion of the experts... no serious codes found using Durametric, no issues with performance.

I will check the compression on all cylinders this weekend if it’s not too cold.

My wife uses the car to take our toddler to school. Is it safe to let her continue to use the car?

Any input is appreciated. I really love my Cayenne but I am afraid this is a fatal issue for her...

Last edited by Dariopks; 02-04-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Vivid7 is an unknown quantity at this point
mileage? parked outside during the freeze last week?

it definitely has the “clank” sound. get a bore scope on amazon.

Last edited by Vivid7; 02-04-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Vivid7
mileage? parked outside during the freeze last week?

it definitely has the “clank” sound. get a bore scope on amazon.
It has 178k kilometres now. And yes, it was parked outside last week... 😞

Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM
whats the status?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 PM
whats the status?
It's not going away. The noise is still there. Did not have time to do the compression tests and check the spark plugs yet.

Will do it on the weekend. But not using the car until then.

Dario

Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dariopks
It's not going away. The noise is still there. Did not have time to do the compression tests and check the spark plugs yet.

Will do it on the weekend. But not using the car until then.

Dario
Ok, so yesterday I checked the oil level and it was on the lower side. Put about 1 and a half liters of oil and added an oil additive. That quieted it down a LOT. However, I still want to have the car professionally looked at so right now it’s at my mechanic. They will do compression and leak tests.

I got a dealership to give me a trade in value and they want to pay me $5500 CAD for it. And they will sell it for $11000 at least... I refused for now.

Will hear back from the mechanic on Monday. I might continue to drive it until it dies and then part it out if I can’t find and engine. Maybe do an engine swap and turn it into a Rat-Pig... like LS engine, RWD, tablet for instrument cluster... let’s see. Not too afraid of losing 5k now but really pissed that a fantastic car like a Cayenne has such crappy engine design... Porsche really sucks even though their cars can be great (while you lease them...).

Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dariopks

Ok, so yesterday I checked the oil level and it was on the lower side. Put about 1 and a half liters of oil and added an oil additive. That quieted it down a LOT. However, I still want to have the car professionally looked at so right now it’s at my mechanic. They will do compression and leak tests.

I got a dealership to give me a trade in value and they want to pay me $5500 CAD for it. And they will sell it for $11000 at least... I refused for now.

Will hear back from the mechanic on Monday. I might continue to drive it until it dies and then part it out if I can’t find and engine. Maybe do an engine swap and turn it into a Rat-Pig... like LS engine, RWD, tablet for instrument cluster... let’s see. Not too afraid of losing 5k now but really pissed that a fantastic car like a Cayenne has such crappy engine design... Porsche really sucks even though their cars can be great (while you lease them...).
So I think we have a good end to this story. My mechanic inspected my Cayenne, did an oil change and now it’s working quietly again. My wife uses the car for short drives to our son’s daycare. The short trip wasn’t enough to warm the engine so it was running rich. A small amout of fuel got into the oil making it thinner. And I used 0W-40 oil which is already thin. That wasn’t lubricating the engine and the valves enough. Now, with 5W-40 fresh oil the car is running well again. What a scare!

Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM
keep checking the oil and I would try to look at the cylinder walls when you can.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:55 PM

keep checking the oil and I would try to look at the cylinder walls when you can.
So I have been checking the oil now for a week and about 300km. No drop in oil level. So I think it was a scare. But to prevent issues with future polar vortex I installed 2 pan heaters and 1 coolant hose heater. Bring it on now Winter!!! (Pics of the coolant hose heater. By the way, the one you need is 1,5”.)

Last edited by Dariopks; 02-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:50 PM
Spoke too soon. Bad scoring on cylinder #6. Getting rid of it and of my 911. Very disappointed with my Porsche experience... Definitely not a car for Canadian Winters... bought a crappy Subaru.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 AM
That sucks but I kind of had a feeling you would be back with this update.