Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

?, the NAV in 2004 is CD based, is there a way to upgrade to DVD based unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
?, the NAV in 2004 is CD based, is there a way to upgrade to DVD based unit?

I was looking at picking up a CPO Cayenne S (2004) can you upgrade the CD based nav unit to dvd?

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
emissary will become famous soon enough
I don't believe there is an easy/cost-effective way of doing this. From my understanding, upgrading would require the 2005 PCM headunit, the DVD drive (which goes under the passenger seat if I'm not mistaken), the wiring harness, and all the labor involved. The upgrade will probably not justify the cost.

It would probably be cheaper to go aftermarket, which is of course another custom job as well.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
thanks maybe i should try to look for an 05 then, do you like the CD based unit?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
emissary will become famous soon enough
My disclaimer is that I mostly use the nav system for long trips. I've found the CD nav system to be adequate. For trips, I put the disk in, plot the route, engage, take the disk out, and then put in a music CD for the rest of the trip -- I've yet to have to put the nav CD back in once a course is plotted (the max I've travelled is 400-some-odd-miles in one trip).

The DVD-based system would certainly be more conveinent (not having to switch disks, etc.), and I believe the quality of the maps are better (they're certainly newer). But if you don't use it often, you'll probably never really appreciate the DVD system.

Another plus with the 05 is that you can get satellite radio. I'm currently installing an FM-modulated solution into my 04; the factory satellite implementation is much better. I don't believe that 04's can be retrofitted with an 05+ satellite system.

One other note -- I would strongly recommend seeing what deals are available on 04 Cayenne Turbos before buying an 05 S. You may be very surprised by the deals available, and I guarantee you'll enjoy the turbo engine much more than DVD-based navigation...

Last edited by emissary; 11-29-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks I hear you on that.