Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Porsche Driving Experience in New York

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:39 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Porsche Driving Experience in New York

I was invited to and attended the Porsche Cayenne Driving Experience at Shea Stadium in Corona, New York. The event was sponsored by porsche and was meant to educate those in the market for an SUV of the incredible performance of the Cayenne.
The event was set up in two areas, the off-road and the on-road. The off road area Ahad moguls, rock climbs, hills and a banked turn to expose the virtues of the Porsche's ability to provide agile terrain handling ability all under complete control. I was really amazed at how we could stop dead on a 45 degree incline without pressing on the brake and then continue with ease.

What is more amazing is the handling and performance on the autocross track that was set up on the performance side of the event. Each participant was given the opportunity to drive the S and then follow it up with a drive in the turbo. Although not quite as fast as my 996TT, this SUV is nothing short of incredible taken in the context of SUV-dom. I went through the autocross course which incorporated a straight line acceleration run, a panic maneuver, s-turns, hairpins, etc. and walked away very impressed.

It looks like one of these will have to be in my future.......

Here are some pics......

Notice back left wheel off ground in this one:

Old 08-09-2003, 11:58 AM
krm
krm is on a distinguished road
Ken, I attended the event yesterday and was amazed of the Cayenne's capabilities on and off-road (especially the Turbo).

Here's a portion of the post I wrote over on funcars...

In the performance driving part of the experience, I test drove both the S and the Turbo on a short autocross. The course started off with a long straight which allows for a full acceleration test. Then it was followed by some slaloms, a decreasing radius turn, a normal left hairpin, a chicane, and a right hand turn back to the parking section. The Cayenne Turbo was amazing tackling this short course, wished I was able to drive more. The turbos kicked in on full thrust after 3k rpm, managed to have a slight oversteer on the decreasing radius turn as the instructor told me to keep on the gas and push it going out of the turn, all smiles piloting this 5000lb SUV out of the curve and into the next braking point The truck felt tight and flat on all the turns on the course. The only downpoint is that the course was simply too short.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
krm,
I agree with all that you said. What time were you there? I was there between 12:30 and 1:30pm.

Old 08-09-2003, 03:54 PM
krm
krm is on a distinguished road
Ken, I was there at 4pm. I am glad I went yesterday instead of the weekend as I am sure there will be many people leading to more wait time.

Karman

Old 09-25-2003, 02:37 AM
DanGallagher is on a distinguished road
why dont i ever know about this stuff?!