Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Ipods and Cayennes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
From what I've heard, it will connect to the back of the radio. I assume the ipod will probably go in the glovebox. I have also heard rumors that steering wheel controls may be possible. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM
SLP
SLP is on a distinguished road
In reference to the m0bridge unit, http://www.mobridgeinc.com/

Its amazing. For one, with an aux jack...which is probably what porsche will offer, you have to control your ipod through your ipod. I like being able to scroll through the play lists and songs right on my PCM....and also use the steering wheel controls to skip, fwrd, rwd, etc songs. its great!

you can either hook it up behind ur pcm or in the rear where ur cd changer would go. i put mine behind my pcm...then ran the long ipod connection cable behind the glove into the passenger side fuse box...where my ipod is located. id idnt want to drill holes int he glove to pass the wire through.

works great, and i love it, contact them for pricing info.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Well, if it costs more than the ipod itself, I'm out and I'll wait on the Porsche cable. You shouldn't have to spend $700 (price plus labor plus tax) to install your $250 ipod. That seems ridiculous to me. I'd settle for something as simple as a direct plug in to the radio and you had to control the ipod from the ipod. Typically I only use playlists, podcasts, or books on tape anyway. I don't do a lot of skipping around. I can control the ipod from the head unit in my 996. It's okay, but I don't mind doing it from the ipod itself which is the way I previously had it setup.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM
SLP
well porsche wants what...$800 for the CDC-4 cd changer to listen to our cds that cost about a quarter each.

my logic to myself was either the $800 cd changer unit to play 6 discs or a few hundred for a unit thatll play thousands of songs...

i spoke to my dealer 3 wks ago when i was in about the ipod cable...he never even heard of it lol...so i dont know how long itll be before porsche offers the option.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
We were just talking to our regional Porsche parts rep yesterday and he says that they're having all kinds of R&D and production problems making a kit that will work and retrofit with the stock PCM/steering wheel. I'll let you all know at first update what changes.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Any chance they will they offer it without the steering wheel controls to speed up it's launch? If I could control the ipod through the head unit itself I would be satisfied. With three different aftermartket companies doing this, you would think Porsche would be able to figure it out.

I may have to just get a wired FM modulator instead....

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a direct aux input available for $ 450 . Install is fairly simple directions come with the unit.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 AM
SLP
at $450 i would look at just shopping around for something like i mentioned before, the m0bridge, where you can control ALL through the pcm and steering wheel.

good luck w/a modulator, i had one in my audi a4 n worked great, for some reason in the porsche it sounded like crap. oh wait actually im thinking fm transmitter! dont go for that. modulator and direct feed might work out well.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by PORSCHEAUDIO
I have a direct aux input available for $ 450 . Install is fairly simple directions come with the unit.
what is the advantage of a direct aux input over a powered fm modulator?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
DRKDDS is on a distinguished road
WHo would install something like the m0bridge? Porsche dealer?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM
mudman2 is on a distinguished road
Its DIY or any stereo shop can do it, nothing special required.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:41 PM
codey is on a distinguished road
Deputy you should just go out and buy an FM modulator and do a direct hook into the FM stations. I have a 2004 Cayenne S and used the Audiovox FM modulator to run the Ipod into the back of the PCM.

I found that the sound was a little sharp but can be adjusted using the Ipod's equalizer. If you don't like it you won't be out much money. The setup isn't really that hard either.

I used this guide to install my FM Modulator...http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...album01?page=1... created by Mudman2 over at rennlist.

He described it as good sound quality but less than CD. I would say about the same once you are able to tweak the equalizers on both the ipod and the pcm.

Good Luck

Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by codey
Deputy you should just go out and buy an FM modulator and do a direct hook into the FM stations. I have a 2004 Cayenne S and used the Audiovox FM modulator to run the Ipod into the back of the PCM.

I found that the sound was a little sharp but can be adjusted using the Ipod's equalizer. If you don't like it you won't be out much money. The setup isn't really that hard either.

I used this guide to install my FM Modulator...http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...album01?page=1... created by Mudman2 over at rennlist.

He described it as good sound quality but less than CD. I would say about the same once you are able to tweak the equalizers on both the ipod and the pcm.

Good Luck

Where did you end up mounting the ipod itself?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Well...I just lay it in the cup holder or in front of the gear box. You can get one of those ipod holders that clips onto the grab handles. I can't find the product right now...its usually listed on ebay. A thorough google search would probably turn up something. I've also seen some ipod holders that you place inside one of the cup holders. There are a lot of options in regards to mounting your ipod in the car.

You can really mount it anywhere you want. The aux cord can be ran just about anywhere. I suppose you could do a little modifications and locate it inside the center console compartments if you want to.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I haven't used my FM Modulator in about 5 months. My ipod video just quit working after about a year. Apple store would not replace it because it was a month out of warranty.

The last ipod I owned only lasted a few months before the battery life was about an hour. I've not had the best of luck with Apple products.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipods and Cayennes?