Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Thoughts on 2011 base cayenne?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
cb333 is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on 2011 base cayenne?

All,

The 46+K base price for the V6 base cayenne is pretty attractive until you add all the goodies (xenon, nav, park-assist etc). I tried building one and with the options I want it comes to ~57k before discount (if any) + tax.

Performance wise, it seems to have more hp than ML350 (268hp), X5 3.0 (300hp) Q5 3.2 (270hp) and GX350 (~275hp), how would you compare/rank the 4 cars in performance/handling and features?

I tried to buy each car with the options I want:

base cayenne : ~58k
benz ML350: ~55k
bmw x5 3.0: ~51k
lexus gx350: ~50k
audi Q5 3.2: ~49k

thoughts?

Last edited by cb333; 11-09-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Cayenne is always my #1, base or turbo, fantastic.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Brez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cb333
All,

The 46+K base price for the V6 base cayenne is pretty attractive until you add all the goodies (xenon, nav, park-assist etc). I tried building one and with the options I want it comes to ~57k before discount (if any) + tax.

Performance wise, it seems to have more hp than ML350 (268hp), X5 3.0 (300hp) and GX350 (~275hp), how would you compare/rank the 4 cars in performance/handling and features?

thoughts?
I have looked at and test drove the X5i and d's, the ML 350, diesel and 550. I am waiting on test driving a Cayenne. My impression.

ML 350 and 350 blue tec; 0-60 in excess of 8"
- Both cars poor acceleration, excessive sway in fast turns, no active suspension available, Nav system poorly placed which restricted view, screen not compatible with polarized sun glasses, all gizmos around steering wheel made very crowded, very difficult to work the on board computer to view on small dash screen. Nice exterior, lot's of room. Excessive roll, interior electronics and lack of active suspension killed it for me even with $8K off with USAA discounts.

ML 550; 0-60 in the 5.5" range
good acceleration, great suspension in straight line, almost killed my wife the salesman and I in tight turn due to excessive body roll and poor seat support. Same issues as above.

X5; 0-60 in 6.5" to 6.9" depending if i or d.
I build a X5d at Diplomatic prices (BMW US diplo price) last quoted was base X5D $47 K (basically invoice) minus eco$3500 minus Holiday $2500 plus full price on premium, sport, tech, comfort seats, active suspension, heated front seats, that's 13K worth of options. If you want privacy window, you need to throw in another 1K. so basically 55Kish.
Nice drive, bounces a lot on stiff shocks (active suspension will help plus better for fast turns) but slightly plain inside, back seats not too comfortable, they do not recline. The X5 feels big, looks big.

Cayenne: 0-60 in 7.1" for manual
I'm looking at a Manual V6, premium, PASM, rear air bags, 19" turbo wheel at USAA pricing of invoice plus 3K around 56Kish. Car looks smaller than X5, but is not really, interior is nicer finish to me, rear seats are comfortable (I can easily put 4 6'3" guys in this car with everyone comfortable). I still need to test drive it.

I find that if it wasn't for my diplo pricing with BMW that the X5 would be more expensive than the Cayenne. The one thing that I do find very good with Porsche is that I can have individual options to build exactly what I want. I can buy a plain C for invoice plus 3K or 45K and the car has a lot to offer; leather, motorized trunk, privacy glass, blue tooth etc. None of those are available with a plain diplo price X5d at 41K (leather 1450, motorized trunk with premium 3400, pricacy for 1000, phone hook up +++) any way they both go up quick!

In my view, X5 or Cayenne the price will be very similar. It will really depend on ride, quality on reliability (I tend to keep my cars until they die!)

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
The ML is at the end of its dersign cycle and while I love them, I am abhore the MB-Tex seats. Cayenne - new design likely to be the same for a few years, more HP, smooth driver, LEATHER seats, excellent reliability record. X5 - get ready to know your service dept. staff. Free maint. will be more than paid back once out of warranty. I can't comment on the GX. I have zero interest in Asian vehicles and know nothing about them. For what its worth, my Porsche dealer told me I shoudl just buy the base Cayenne and save some $$ since I trade yearly. I went with a reasonably equipped S instead, but after having an '11 V6 loaner that only listed for about $60k reasonably equipped, it had adequate power and same seats as mine. Both ML and Cayenne are great, just whether you want to be at the start of product design or end of it. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
I ordered a very similar build to what Brez is contemplating: V6 manual cayenne with premium package, PASM, PTV, and tow hitch.

I did a test drive in a v6 with the auto trans, paddle shifters, and the regular suspension; it seemed to have plenty of power to me. immediately after I drove an audi Q5 with the v6 and while they felt comparable, the cayenne definitely felt faster, had a smoother ride, and generally felt much more solid. Overall I loved everything about the cayenne... the only negative was the rear visibility. The rearview mirror is quite small.

It'd be great to see more people going for the stickshift! When I take delivery this winter I'll be sure and let you all know my driving impressions. as of right now I believe only one manual 2011 cayenne has been built for the US (dealer told me it is being delivered to SoCal and is on the boat right now).

Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Thinking of doing the same and building a manual. I may be the only one in Canada Can't wait to hear your driving impressions.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 AM
cb333 is on a distinguished road
thx for all the replies, I forgot the add the Q5 to the comparison (i'll edit the post), I like the look of it too and the price is comparable.

Is PASM necessary? If I go with the base cayenne, I won't get the air suspension nor PASM, I want to keep the car under 60k for sure. (and i need tiptronic)

Last edited by cb333; 11-09-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
thx for all the replies, I forgot the add the Q5 to the comparison (i'll edit the post), I like the look of it too and the price is comparable.

Is PASM necessary? If I go with the base cayenne, I won't get the air suspension nor PASM, I want to keep the car under 60k for sure. (and i need tiptronic)
If you have to have the 8 speed tip (a must have imo), then I'd wait and get a base CS for 59-60k. Should be doable after inventory catches up with demand.

PASM is mandatory. A few weeks ago, I tested a CS 19" w/o and initially, didn't think that was the case. After test driving the C 19" medium spec tonight, I feel like w00t has been right all this time and I've been in denial. PASM/PDCC/PTV and 20"s if you can swing them all the merrier. The Cayenne had some roll to it, not like the typical SUV I'm going to tip over type, but it was definately there on some light corners.

The C has plenty of posture and giddyup; however, it was just me in it. So, I'm sure that if I loaded it up with a good mix of folks and some gear, things could get ugly real fast. Other than that, I loved every minute of driving the V6. It had a nice host of features such as Premium package, comfort lighting, anthracite wood (very nice), 14 way heated and cooled seats, LCA (nice), bose...(okay), 19" wheels, entry assist (most excellent feature). It MSRP'd at 69k was, I'm sure that it can be had for a bit less when the market allows.

It's tough trying not to tick those litte option boxes though. On the above I'd definately tick off PASM/AIR/PTV/20", which would start to get into the 77 to low 80's rather quickly.

The Q5 fully loaded would run you 50 to 55k if you can find one and a dealer willing to deal. As of right now they are in very short supply with 5 month wait on a special order, which is the route I'd go if I were to get a Q5 (blue/cinnamon with all the trimmings).

However, nothing that I've driven thusfar has made me feel quite like the Porsche, and that is w/o PASM, etc.

Tough dilema you have there, nothing that a little time and patience cannot solve. Ultimately, I'm a big fan of buying what you want (within reason) rather than settling, i.e., if Porsche is what you want don't settle for Audi/BMW/MB, because you can get a better deal. A better deal isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Sorry for the rant and I hope all of ^^^ makes sense...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
FJS961 has a spectacular aura aboutFJS961 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Brez;
In my view, X5 or Cayenne the price will be very similar. It will really depend on ride, quality on reliability (I tend to keep my cars until they die!)
In that case, Cayenne all the way!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
I'll add another opinion regarding options. While these might be great to have, a base Cayenne will sell for low 50's a year from now in ATL regardless of how it is loaded up. Ok, add $2-3k extra if heavily loaded. An S a year old loaded, about $65k for a vehicle that listed for $87k. If you really think you want to put that much into options and you will get that much enjoyment from the features and you are willing to lose that much more money if you trade within a cpl of years, go for it. Mine is an S that listed for about $78k and doesn;t have the high end options or special options like PASM and I have driven it extremely fast but not had any extreme amount of roll. Just another opinion..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
teamwenz is on a distinguished road
I have a base 2010 Cayene and it is awesome. 21 mpg and plenty of power for a sport utility. I have a Boxster S when I want to go fast but here in the frozen tundra you need a good awd for the winters. I would not rule out a 2010 if you can find one, the deals are right and it is a great vehicle. Around here Audi's are the best sellers and that means you will overpay. Our local dealer has offers for his Audi's for over invoice from dealers on the East Coast. Q5's and Q7's are overpriced used you are better buying new if you can find them

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Babag 007 will become famous soon enoughBabag 007 will become famous soon enough
Just purchased the 2011 this weekend after much review. I LOVE IT (and you will, too).

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
The only SUV that comes close to the performance/driving dynamics of the Cayenne is the Infiniti FX. I can't stand the exterior styling and the "usual" Japanese touch to the interior. The Audi Q5 is good when you look at the exterior but the interior styling is anemic when compared to the Cayenne. As applechili (thank you for giving me credit on your post) had explained the PASM, air-susp, PDCC and PTV is the ultimate performance upgrade but if you are on a budget then at the very least go for the PASM. Please don't skimp on your PASM. It is afterall a Porsche so splurging a little bit goes a long way for stiring your emotions each time you turn on the ignition key. ScottAtlGa is right, try to not load too much into the build if you like to trade cars every 3 yrs unless you are willing to take a hit on the resale value. Show us your build and we can comment. Go for the Cayenne with PASM and servotronic. You wont regret it.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Babag, congrats on your new cayenne. When you get a chance please start a new thread to show us some pics and share your impressions on the drive and the options.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 AM
AppleChilli will become famous soon enough
All,

Performance wise, it seems to have more hp than ML350 (268hp), X5 3.0 (300hp) Q5 3.2 (270hp) and GX350 (~275hp), how would you compare/rank the 4 cars in performance/handling and features?

audi Q5 3.2: ~49k

thoughts?
And to answer the question if I had to rank them it would be in the following order:

Porsche Cayenne
Audi Q5 (Great bang for the buck and absolutely gorgeous ext/int)
BMW X5 (refreshed/spartan)

MB ML350

Lexus GX350

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2011 base cayenne?