Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tire and Rim insurance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
2012cayenne is on a distinguished road
Tire and Rim insurance

Any advise on buying this from Porsche or 3rd party? I'm getting the Spyder 20" and live in NYC so may experience bubbles, etc.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
I have it on all my cars with 19" - 20" tires. It paid itself after one blow or a few fix. They replaced the tires on both my S550 and 09 GTS. One new tire cost more than the insurance. But dont buy it if you not planning to drive the car much.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Mikli
I have it on all my cars with 19" - 20" tires. It paid itself after one blow or a few fix. They replaced the tires on both my S550 and 09 GTS. One new tire cost more than the insurance. But dont buy it if you not planning to drive the car much.
Did you buy it from Porsche or a 3rd party and do you remember about how much it costs and what it covers?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
it should cover any damage to the tire and wheel without deductible. this includes curbing, dents from potholes, cracks in the rim. i'm not sure if tire wear is included, probably not. i think cost is about 1200-1500 for 2-3 period.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I was hesitant to buy this at the dealership when I was going through the financing because usually these warranty stuff is a pure money grab by the dealer. Especially at the rates they are asking. But I relented as I've checked the price of tires for the Cayenne for 21" tires and its like $1500 or so. The warranty was $2300 for the tires. I can tell you, after getting a scratch on the rims in the 1st week, I'm glad I got this. I haven't fixed it yet, but will when I bring it in.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
thefr7 has a spectacular aura aboutthefr7 has a spectacular aura about
Got it from the dealer for both of our P-cars... used it on the 911 twice in the first 3 months and used it on the Cayenne on the 2nd day we owned it, so we are very happy we got the package
(Our neighborhood and one of the hospitals I work at have a lot of construction going on, so I think that has a lot to do with our cars' attraction to nails!)

Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Can so explain to me how you get the insurance and what's the average cost? Does it cover after market wheels? Do they pro rate the tires? Never really thought of using this option but with the mrs getting a new cayenne and her past history of curbing wheels it may be a good choice.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 AM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Read the fine print carefully and rely on fellow poster's experiences which by and large seem surprisingly positive.

I tried pretty hard, but failed, to get a written copy of the dealer aftermarket plans which in Florida are administered by a not so well rated outfit ( i forget the name).

I did compare written plans from Costco and Easy Care, the latter of which you cannot buy in the premium segment without tire and wheel protection. As I recall, their fine print seemed clear in that they do not cover curbing.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM
GIjbop will become famous soon enoughGIjbop will become famous soon enough
Wonder if the wheel insurance covers Repair or Replacement? Likely wheel repair.

If they need to replace a tire , will they replace two tires? As you generally do a pair at once.

If you pay for your own fixes
1) wheel repair is likely $400-500.
2) tire nail repair is $50
3) tire replacement is $400-600 each.

Im just estimating, but you would need to curb your wheel 5-6 times and tear a tire 4 times or a combnation of in order to make up the insurance costs.

I recently ran over a 20-30lb rock with the 911 on the highway. My regular car insurance covered the front wheel replacement and rear wheel repair(tires not damaged). I just paid a deductible.

So I'm not sure about tire/wheel insurance from the dealer?

I too am wondering about wheel tire insurance for my incoming cayenne, but undecided. Anyone with cost opinions /experience?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
tallybeard is on a distinguished road
we are going through this right now as our cayenne should be here early next week. through the dealer the wheel/tire coverage is $1300. i am currently waiting to hear back about some of the details, but i think curbing should be covered. I looked into our normal auto insurance policy. you have to pay a deductible and if you have to file multiple claims they stated that all of my policy premiums would increase. i am leaning towards this coverage be cause my wife loves curbs when parking-rubbing against them, driving over them, etc

Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by tallybeard
we are going through this right now as our cayenne should be here early next week. through the dealer the wheel/tire coverage is $1300. i am currently waiting to hear back about some of the details, but i think curbing should be covered. I looked into our normal auto insurance policy. you have to pay a deductible and if you have to file multiple claims they stated that all of my policy premiums would increase. i am leaning towards this coverage be cause my wife loves curbs when parking-rubbing against them, driving over them, etc
$1300 seems very inexpensive. Can you share the details of that when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 2012cayenne
$1300 seems very inexpensive. Can you share the details of that when you get a chance.

Thanks,
$1300 expensive? Try $2300 for mine. But it will be worth it. Mine does cover curbing from how it was explained to me. They even had an example rim that was destroyed some how.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
tallybeard is on a distinguished road

Thanks,
yeah, seems like a good deal to me as well. I just spoke to one of the finance managers at the local dealer. wheels and tires are covered for cosmetic and road hazard damage--this includes curbing. aftermarket wheels will be covered as long they aren't chrome. chrome wheels aren't covered. the tires aren't pro rated. if the tire is damaged and can't be fixed it will be replaced---only the damged tire will be covered. this is what i've been told. i am waiting for the contract to verify and see what company is offering the coverage.

hope this helps

Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by No.92
$1300 expensive? Try $2300 for mine. But it will be worth it. Mine does cover curbing from how it was explained to me. They even had an example rim that was destroyed some how.
I wrote "inexpensive". $1,300 seems very light for this insurance. I have to buy it when my car comes in December with RS Spyder wheels. I could only hope it's $1,300.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I wrote "inexpensive". $1,300 seems very light for this insurance. I have to buy it when my car comes in December with RS Spyder wheels. I could only hope it's $1,300.
Oh my bad, I guess I need to learn how to read.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire and Rim insurance