Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Something interesting, or puzzling, I discovered the other day about Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
ApeKillApe is on a distinguished road
Something interesting, or puzzling, I discovered the other day about Cayenne

After buying a new car, one thing that I have actively avoided, or put off, doing is programming and syncing the garage receiver with the in-car control. All my BMWs, including two recently acquired '12 models, have been a pain in the butt to program and not all models follow the same procedures to program and sync (e.g., for X5 the engine has to be running which the owner's manual failed to mention). Since my garage receiver has the rolling code feature, one extra step of running to the receiver, climbing up to it, and pushing the sync button on the back of it is required for synchronization. However, when I programmed the HomeLink in my Cayenne the other night, I am surprised to discover that no running and climbing is required. Everything was done withing five seconds and the headlights just flashed several times - and done. Since my BMWs have similar HomeLink systems, What gives? Is it unusual? Are all HomeLink systems not created equal?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
My 2013 CTT required me to get out the ladder and use the learn button
The remote alone did not sync the car to the opener

Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
On my Toyota sequoia all I did was press the garage door opener button and the home link button at the same time. The car learned. All other cars I've owned we're A PITA.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
vitaman will become famous soon enough
Rak's Law applied to my '12 also.
Have 1 button synched to a non Rolling code door. Now that programming put the cake into a piece of cake.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM
ApeKillApe is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, interesting. I am going to try one more time. If it still works without syncing, then it's a mystery. Because the day before i was just programing a new 3 series. Programming BMWs just seemed to take forever, from copying the garage software to the in-car button and to synchronizing the in-car button with the garage receiver.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
my programming took about 10 minutes once I moved away from the garages using the 3 remotes. was surprisingly easy - just followed the manual

Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
bkmk5 is on a distinguished road
Just picked up my CS yesterday and was trying to program the cars homelink but didn't realize I needed the clicker as well. My BMWs i've just hit the sync button on the garage motor and then held the button in the car. Well now the battery in my clicker is dead. So now I've got to buy a battery for a clicker to just get my car to recognize the garage. A bit annoying.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
bkmk5 is on a distinguished road
Well I found the second clicker with some juice in it. Porsche's implementation does make sense if you think about it. The truck learns the frequency of the clicker relatively quickly ~10seconds. However, those with the rolling security codes you then sync your garage motor to your truck. Your truck knows what frequency to send but not at the right time I suppose so thats why you sync with your garage motor. Not too bad.

Now if only I figured out how to sync settings with keys I'd be all set. Locking doors to set settings sounds pretty stupid, but then again I've had the car 2 days and its not fully configured; what a noob I am. I also forgot what putting a key in an ignition was all about. Had comfort access in the M3.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM
BallJack is an unknown quantity at this point
Why am I having trouble getting my 2017 Cayenne to learn my Homelink garage door remote's signal? I pressed the outer buttons (I and III) on the Cayenne prior to programming. Then I pressed the I button and saw the red light blink and went in front of the car and point the garage door clicker remote while I press its button. I don't see any blinking lights on my Cayenne. It's not somehow learning my remote control's code. Am I missing something? Does the engine have to be running while I press and point the clicker to the front of the car?
I'd appreciate helpful tips on this.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM
EpiKAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by vitaman
Rak's Law applied to my '12 also.
Have 1 button synched to a non Rolling code door. Now that programming put the cake into a piece of cake.
I'm new here, and browsing for the first time. But I can also say that my '12 was as simple as RAKLAW said...

Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 AM
DrBillyD is an unknown quantity at this point
I've noticed that my 14 CTTS "forgets" it's programming sometimes and I'll have to reprogram it.

Follow procedure in manual (including "learn" for rolling code transceiver) which is simple enough but haven't had issue with other Homelink systems.

FWIW, have a 15 Boxster GTS and the Homelink works fine on that one.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:09 AM
killerslp is an unknown quantity at this point
the 11 cayenne I had took about 1 minute to program, only issue I had was randomly it would take 2 tries to actually open the door. Never had to re-program it either, was impressed how well it worked and with how quick and easy it was to program.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 AM
jab23 has a spectacular aura aboutjab23 has a spectacular aura about
Between Audis, BMWs, and now Porsche, I feel like it's luck of the draw. Not sure I've ever gotten it right on the first try and then when I think I screwed it up, it works. A bit of a fulfilling little moment everytime.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM
TXCOMT is on a distinguished road
It took hardly any time to do our CPO '14 S...especially compared to the '16 Ram Rebel that parks next to it! Ugh, that was a true pain, but worth it; I got tired of getting out of the Porsche to tap on the keyboard...of course, I hate getting out of it at any time! It's way more fun than the '12 base we traded for it!

TXCOMT