Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

which model for me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
which model for me?

im considering a cayenne to replace a pana 4s. it is mostly a daily driver by my wife for errands, etc and to go out to dinner with other couples. not sure which one to get

gts would be fun but im concerned about ride comfort esp for the rear seat passengers. hybrid would be interesting to try and keep it in e mode etc but worried it might be too weird for my wife. is the changing of modes as seemless as reported? what about the feel of the brakes with the regen? v6 would be nice to save $ but would it feel like a rental/loaner car with a harsh engine? lastly, the s might be best of all esp since we loved the pana 4s

anyone able to distinguish them for me? thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
khabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to behold
Hello fcar348,

Good choice on staying within the Porsche family. The Cayenne is an excellent performer, so you're not making any sort of sacrifice in the jump from the Panamera [others may argue here].

I'll brush the negatives out of the way first:
- You might miss the smoothness of the PDK. While the eight-speed Tiptronic S in the Cayenne is undoubtedly wonderful, it can be occasionally jerky and, at the end of the day, isn't the PDK.
- The Panamera is more distinctive and unique on the roads while the Cayenne blends in more. If the image concept isn't an issue for you, you needn't worry about this point.
- The Cayenne S/GTS models share their naturally-aspirated V8 engines with the Panamera S/4S/GTS models albeit in different levels of tune for the GTS. If you jump from the Panamera 4S to the Cayenne S, you'll notice the Cayenne is slower off the line due to the different transmission and the fact that the Cayenne is larger, heavier and less aerodynamic than the Panamera.

Let me say this, though: I've extensively driven Panameras and was a click away from ordering one but chose the Cayenne S instead despite these "flaws" [if you'll call them that] because I prefer the versatility, usability and un-compromised Porsche feel of the Cayenne. That being said, I've driven all models back-to-back except the GTS before I made my choice and I'll relay my feedback below.
- Cayenne V6: I expected this car to be an anemic slug but was pleasantly surprised with its power. Nothing outrageous, mind you, but the 300 horsepower and 7.4 second sprint to 60 puts this Cayenne right in the middle of the mid-size SUV competition. What it lacks in outright speed it makes up for in handling: a very composed ride, excellent handling and all the real-world power you're likely to use with all the speed limits, road bumps and supervision we're subjected to. I found the engine pleasantly responsive without the rental car hoarseness you mentioned as well as sonorous when you floor the pedal; you can't go wrong if you pair it with the sports exhaust system.
- Cayenne S: This is my personal pick of the bunch. You get all the same handling and driving dynamics seen in the V6 but now you get Porsche's in-house V8 which gives you even greater sound and much more speed - 0 to 60 comes by almost two full seconds faster than the V6 at 5.6 seconds, so you'll get plenty of oomph when it comes to highway driving and overtaking. I find the power of the S to be perfect - not too little and not too much.
- Cayenne S Hybrid: I briefly drove the Hybrid and didn't enjoy it. Although the novelty of driving it around in silence in E-Power mode is nifty, it doesn't last too long before flipping into hybrid/combustion mode. Performance is quite good from the supercharged Audi-sourced engine and the two power sources work well together, but I found the steering feel to be lighter and more artificial than on the other Cayennes and the brake pedal feel is too touchy. Don't forget that this one is also the heaviest Cayenne due to the added weight of the battery and electrical components.
- Cayenne Turbo: This one is an absolute maniac - thrills and chills all throughout the range. No car this big and heavy should be able to carve through the air and fly into the triple digits the way the Turbo does, but it does anyway. I found its power to be excessive, personally; you'll never utilize the full potential of the engine and its just too brutish for my taste.

As for the GTS: I haven't driven it yet, but I've heard from people that it feels like the Cayenne S in Sport mode when it drives normally: it's more engaging, more focused and a sharper tool than the S especially since it's lower, has a wider rear track and comes with the Sport Design package. Flip the GTS into Sport mode and you activate the Sound Symposer which pipes the engine roar into the cabin and the car becomes even more of a performer. The GTS is perky even in its natural state, so you might not enjoy that.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend the S so you can keep enjoying Porsche's fantastic V8 engine and the same power application you loved in your Panamera 4S. It's a very relaxed and sedate drive in its normalcy but you can tailor it into becoming a sportier ride with some suspension and drive adjustments. Build one with the right options and you'll find yourself like me: grinning from ear to ear each time you gun the engine and pilot it down the roads.

Hope this helps!

khabah

Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Scanier will become famous soon enoughScanier will become famous soon enough
I can wholeheartedly praise the CS. I bought mine in Dec 2011 and gotta say I really dig it. Lucky for you...you really cant go wrong. I would say that after driving the V8 I would likely be disappointed with the V6 or Hybrid.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Greetings fcar348,
I would recommend the GTS
Don't worry about a ride being too harsh for the ladies,the air suspension is amazing at providing a smooth experience and with the as at normal height(vs low)you will be fine
I have driven my mother around and she is very sensitive in regards to her comfort,likes it nice and easy,requiring as smooth a ride as possible...so I was delighted that she felt right at ease in my CT(this was with the 20" spyders on PZeros)
The design is sportier in a tasteful way...just pick the color your wife likes best
It is well appointed stock and less expensive than a similarly equipped S..and a bit more unique as well..should hold its value better over time...

Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
wife test drove the tt and v6 and couldnt tell which was supposed to be more powerful! didnt get to test out gts or hybrid. the owner is selling his personal ctt 1 yr old 17k mi for $88k. never registered but half warranty gone. not certified either. i like it bc it just feels 'special' to me.

will also check out range rover. loaded top of the line for 1000/mo lease is so much more value vs porsche v6. (new ctt well over 2000/mo) unfortunately, its being phased out for new model next yr so will have a left over for 2/3 yrs.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fcar348
wife test drove the tt and v6 and couldnt tell which was supposed to be more powerful! didnt get to test out gts or hybrid. the owner is selling his personal ctt 1 yr old 17k mi for $88k. never registered but half warranty gone. not certified either. i like it bc it just feels 'special' to me.

will also check out range rover. loaded top of the line for 1000/mo lease is so much more value vs porsche v6. (new ctt well over 2000/mo) unfortunately, its being phased out for new model next yr so will have a left over for 2/3 yrs.
88K for his personal 958TT?
Pretty sweet deal
Especially if it feels 'special'..get it

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Can anyone who has driven the Cgts compare it with the Ctt ?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fcar348

88k? Unless this thing is beat to death, this is hard to pass up.

My personal choice is GTS because it is exclusive. Every part of this car is just perfect.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Cant go wrong with any Cayenne but imo the GTS is your best option, honestly I couldnt tell the difference in terms of ride comfort vs my "S" , with air suspension and in normal or comfort mode its a very plush but controlled ride. Looks hotter than other Cayennes and its a better deal as a whole package.
Keep in mind that a facelift is due in the next year or so, the GTS with its SportDesign exterior kit and color keyed trim and bumpers will look fresher than the regular pre-facelift Cayenne.

Last edited by galion; 08-16-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 AM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Is the GTS more exclusive then the Turbo?