Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Black Paint - Scratch Easy - Opti Coat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM
socalboxster is on a distinguished road
Black Paint - Scratch Easy - Opti Coat?

I have a new 2013 Black Diesel, and I have just the regular black paint, so it seems like just hand washing and drying creates light haze or light surface scratches, and I'm using soft microfiber towels, my 08 Boxster S which is meteor grey metallic is quite the opposite, so my question is does opting for Jet Black Metallic $790 Or Extended exterior package painted in Black (high-gloss finish) $2000+ make it better or harder to scratch??

The detailing world is been crazy about this sealant OPTI COAT 2.0 suppose to be like adding a second clear coat on the car, have anyone tried it on porsche paint? how do you like it? does it work? I just waxed the car yesterday using P21S Carnuba wax and now the car has millions of tiny swirls marks, I am very certain its my my clean towels or the way I was waxing, inputs? Thanks

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I just bought a 2013 CD about a week plus ago. It has Jet Black paint. Upon the dealership detailing it for delivery, the car has lots of surface scratches that I have tried waxing out with my special "Banana Gloss" didn't do the trick. I will give it another wash soon. My Boxster spyder with Baltic black is not as scratched.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeh, I dont think rubbing a banana on black paint is going to get the scratches out lol... let me know how the outcome is after the next wax job, i may have to try opti coat myself and let you guys know.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM
kev_song will become famous soon enoughkev_song will become famous soon enough
I have the JBM and I use the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards in the soap bucket and rinse bucket, microfiber wash mitt and I also use a foam gun to presoak the surface. I dry with a waffleweave microfiber towel. I'm almost completely swirl free since I picked up my CS at the beginning of Aug and I wash it every 4th day or so. Your going to have to use a polish like Mezerna to remove the swirls.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Kev,

Then I am sure the JBM does have a "harder" paint per say, as I get marks just basically touching it, what wax or sealer are you using?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM
kev_song will become famous soon enoughkev_song will become famous soon enough
Socal,

Im pretty sure the clear coats are the same. Thats where you are getting the swirls. If you're using a single wash bucket, you will give yourself swirl marks. Also black is very unforgiving. Your meteor gray hides a lot more light surface scratches/swirls. I swirled my 997 (dark blue) using the single bucket method. I took all the swirl marks out of my 997 and then switched the way I hand washed starting this spring. Huge difference. I use a lot of Black Fire products, but mix and match a whole bunch of different brands. Send me an PM with your email and I can send you a list of what I use.