Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Performance tuning the US-spec Porsche diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Performance tuning the US-spec Porsche diesel

Just added a BlueSpark tuning box to my CD, and I'm here to tellya that it definitely works. The Pro + Boost model increases fuel pressure at the rail and increases turbo boost pressure. HP selectable up to 306, torque up to 509 ft-lbs. But not at the same time. There are technically an infinite number of settings on this, so it's gonna take some trial and error to settle on the one I like best. But none actually deliver the advertised 306/509 simultaneously. Note: the following numbers are mine. I extrapolated them from the documentation that came with the box. They are not manufacturer numbers.

Still, highest torque is delivered with what I've concluded is the 300/509 combo, highest hp with the the 306/483 combo. There are 9 of these hard settings (plus OFF), the lowest of which is 244/432. Each setting can be further adjusted with a second control. It's a rheostat, so there's no way to get actual numbers without a dyno. What it does however, give you an infinite adjustment of the hard setting increase within a 50% to 100% range. I can see how this would be valuable to fine tune the "feel" of a hard setting.

For example, I (naturally) went right to setting 8 (300/509). There was a great gush of torque through the first 3 gears. But in the next three gears I didn't get the gush until up higher in the RPM range. I guess that's where the HP boost kicks in. I didn't dare try 7th and 8th, cuz I was already over 100 mph in 6th. It's not turbo lag, but it felt like it. So if it's mismatched hp and torque curves, I can see where the 2nd control might be able to tweak them a little closer.

I've since backed off to the 288/496 setting @ 100%. Still plenty of power, and not as much of the "lag" sensation. But without a dyno, finding the sweet spot in this box is going to take a lot of time and fuel. Having said that, the option of adjusting is still much better than a "one size fits all" box - which - when you think of it - describes an ECU remap as well. If you don't like it, you've wasted your money. Unfortunately I've got knee replacement surgery coming up soon, and I may not get this done until sometime well into next year.

//greg//

Old 12-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Very good information.
Thanks!
I might consider some of these for my 2013 treg TDI.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
Progress report

BlueSpark also claims modest fuel economy improvements along with torque and horsepower boosts; +5% to +15%, depending on settings selected. I initially took the claims with a grain of salt. I believe I installed the box at about 1200 miles, and I'm up to 2800 miles now. Highway mileage has markedly increased to the point where I'm consistently getting over 35 mpg highway now. Whereas the overall mpg started out ~24 mpg, it's now climbed to over 28 and climbing. And that's on the crap 40 cetane diesel fuel they sell around here. This tuning box must be even more impressive over in Europe, where owners have the option of buying up to 60 cetane fuel.

//greg//

Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
BlueSpark also claims modest fuel economy improvements along with torque and horsepower boosts; +5% to +15%, depending on settings selected. I initially took the claims with a grain of salt. I believe I installed the box at about 1200 miles, and I'm up to 2800 miles now. Highway mileage has markedly increased to the point where I'm consistently getting over 35 mpg highway now. Whereas the overall mpg started out ~24 mpg, it's now climbed to over 28 and climbing. And that's on the crap 40 cetane diesel fuel they sell around here. This tuning box must be even more impressive over in Europe, where owners have the option of buying up to 60 cetane fuel.
Thanks for the update Greg. The additional power is the "guy" reason I want one of these boxes, but the fuel economy claims are a big interest. I too kind of take it with a grain of salt and figured that they had a econo-mode map that stripped all the power out. Glad to hear that may not really be the case.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
Your highspeed "turbo lag" is most likely the intercooler not keeping up with the demand. Or it is just more than the turbo can spool.

Having fun with lots of boosted cars in the past, I will say that is what you are feeling. The turbo is only designed to operate at such levels for certian periods of time. Couple that with an intercooler that is only set to cool a certian amount of charge.

I would data log the IAT's and see if that is what you have going on. A meth injection may make you have a whole new car, again.

Mike

Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Well this is not my first turbo diesel, plus 4 out of the last 5 I've owned were inter cooled. Matter of fact, this Cayenne actually has two inter coolers. The tuning box has 9 sets of curves from which to select; 1 thru 8 are performance curves, 0 uses factory curves stored in the ECU. It's my sense that at least one of the performance settings uses a set of curves that are a bit far apart. I think what I'm feeling is the torque curve dropping off before horsepower curve hits its peak.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 02-12-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Great stuff!! How hard was it to install? Also, did you order directly from them in Europe?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Dead simple 5 minute installation. Less if you don't get the +Boost model. And yes, it was a transAtlantic web order

//greg//

Old 06-18-2016, 07:13 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
reviving old thread.. I have been looking at the BlueSpark for my 14 CD.. is this the link?

http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/carspecs2?carid=6604

Also, not sure if anyone has bought this recently.. This looks like an old thread.