Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2012 Cayenne Tailgate not closing properly

Old 12-20-2018, 10:12 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
I had to have my power struts replaced a few months ago. One of them were blown out and the door would not latch without me applying pressure and when it did the left side of the hatch stuck out more than the right. It cost me around 700 dollars and still sometimes when it is cold out I get the annoying beep when the trunk hatch comes down to close. It happens on the first time usually then after a few tries after the car warms up it fixes itself.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 AM
chrisjg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
I had to have my power struts replaced a few months ago. One of them were blown out and the door would not latch without me applying pressure and when it did the left side of the hatch stuck out more than the right. It cost me around 700 dollars and still sometimes when it is cold out I get the annoying beep when the trunk hatch comes down to close. It happens on the first time usually then after a few tries after the car warms up it fixes itself.
Thank you TJ.
Both Struts were replaced and the hatch still would not latch correctly. This was the latest fix but is still at the shop. Thank you for the reply. This makes me sad.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:38 AM
I’m about to call and bring mine back in. Hauling around thousands of dollars worth of DJ equipment scares the crap out of me with these issues.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 AM
I wanted to provide an update.

Here is what the dealer just sent me today.

"As of right now we are still trying to figure out this issue. As of right now we have tested 4 different Cayenne Hybrids and they are all doing the same thing. We don’t know if it is a safety feature of some kind for the hybrid battery or what. It’s very strange. We are trying to find some documentation on it and we are waiting for a response from PCNA."

I hope this helps. Anyone that was able to fix this please chime in.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Rennmaschine is on a distinguished road
My cargo mat may have caused this today

I had this problem today (first time), and it seems to have been my cargo liner (WeatherTech). My theory about my occurrence: The liner had slid toward the back of the car just a little, but enough to hinder full closure of the hatch. The liner had shifted rearward (acceleration run or weight shift of minor load in the back, etc), bunching up the liner lip against the hatch, and when the hatch was opened, the lip relaxed over part of the threshold and thus partially blocked the hatch closure. Anyway, in this case, I was relieved to know it was just my cargo liner.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Rennmaschine
I had this problem today (first time), and it seems to have been my cargo liner (WeatherTech). My theory about my occurrence: The liner had slid toward the back of the car just a little, but enough to hinder full closure of the hatch. The liner had shifted rearward (acceleration run or weight shift of minor load in the back, etc), bunching up the liner lip against the hatch, and when the hatch was opened, the lip relaxed over part of the threshold and thus partially blocked the hatch closure. Anyway, in this case, I was relieved to know it was just my cargo liner.
Rennmaschine, thanks for the insight.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with my cayenne. I initially thought that was the problem too and took out the liner (WeatherTech) but the problem still persisted.
ITs very strange that Cayennes on the lot at the dealer are having the same issue. I thought I was crazy at first.

Thanks again

Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Mine really happens mostly when it is sub 32 degrees and I even have brand new struts. This didn't happen for the first 2 years of owning my Cayenne. It has rained record amounts here in Pittsburgh this past year and it seems to be causing major issues with water seeping into the struts on these hatches.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Currently resolved

Dear everyone,

I received my car back from the dealer. The following is what was stated as the fix after everything mentioned above was tried "There were a few adjustments with the rear lid and hinges to adjust the way it sits."

I can confirm the hatch worked this morning while it was 38 degrees outside with the car not warmed up.

I hope this helps others.

The dealer had to reach out to Porsche of North America to get this info.

Thanks for all the continued input and help.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Itcanbdunn2 is an unknown quantity at this point
2013 Cayenne Turbo same issue

Any updates or resolutions to this issue my tailgate only manually opens with emergency unlatch on the inside and shows tailgate open. Does anyone know what the current software firmware should be

Old 10-09-2019, 05:23 PM
wrench monk is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Itcanbdunn2
Any updates or resolutions to this issue my tailgate only manually opens with emergency unlatch on the inside and shows tailgate open. Does anyone know what the current software firmware should be
I'm having a similar issue with my 09. However, mine started with a fact that one day, I pressed the button to close the tailgate and it didn't move. It had never not worked before. Suddenly, that button did not work. The open buttons on the fob and on the tailgate still work, but the close button inside the tailgate was not working. So I pushed the tailgate down manually. But it won't latch properly until is push prod and monkey with it. So far all solutions I've seen seems to be the dealership working it's *** off for in warranty cars. Would love to see if anyone has a solution off warrant chumps like me can use.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:02 AM
Zactor is an unknown quantity at this point
Issue solved

I did two things:

1. Use WD-40 to lubricate the part of struts which will be compressed when closed.

2. Hold and slightly twist both struts, the right strut clockwise, the left strut anti-clockwise.

And now the tailgate closes properly every time. Possible cause could be the struts twisted overtime which cause the tailgate slightly further away to attach the lock hook.