Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brake dust solution ?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Brake dust solution ?

I had a 2005 SL500 with bad brake dust and replaced just the pads with Akebono pads and the problem was vastly improved. When I last looked for a similar solution for the CTT I didn't find anything.
Today I did a search on Tire Rack and found these- "Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads". I did an online chat with one of their guys and he said they would help a lot with the dust and have awesome stopping power.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Rob

Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
I had a 2005 SL500 with bad brake dust and replaced just the pads with Akebono pads and the problem was vastly improved. When I last looked for a similar solution for the CTT I didn't find anything.
Today I did a search on Tire Rack and found these- "Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads". I did an online chat with one of their guys and he said they would help a lot with the dust and have awesome stopping power.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Rob
Brake Dust..Had a 300SRT that i swear after I scoured the wheels and backed it back into the garage the wheels were filthy again.
Try the pads....but dont let your dealer put them on...just in case.
Can always put OEM pads back on and say Hey look what happened to my rotors.
I know $8600 is huge to pay for ceramics, but my wheels after 1300 miles were a squeaky clean when i got home last saturday as when i left friday.
Its unreal....and the stopping power..simply unreal

Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I know you are having great results with your ceramics, that is awesome.

If only I had known..........

But it's funny I just spoke to my mechanic at a local station who bought a new GTS a month before I bought my CTT and he said: "No don't do it, they won't stop at all as well as the original brakes".
I thought the Mercedes stopped just as well after changing but I don't have much experience with them.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
I have been doing some reading and I don't see anything suggesting that ceramic pads decrease braking performance. It is getting hopeful !!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:19 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
Ceramics for $8600 (rotors) and after market ceramic pads are not the same. The Akebono pads are ceramic and do produce less obvious dust than the OE pads. Axxis also makes a ceramic pad and performs the same as the Akebono. Choosing one over the other is based on availability and should be used as a street or occasional light track use. My Axxis pads have an initial bite that is less than OE.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 PM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Ceramics for $8600 (rotors) and after market ceramic pads are not the same. The Akebono pads are ceramic and do produce less obvious dust than the OE pads. Axxis also makes a ceramic pad and performs the same as the Akebono. Choosing one over the other is based on availability and should be used as a street or occasional light track use. My Axxis pads have an initial bite that is less than OE.
Interesting
I have zero experience with after market ceramics on steel rotors.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks.
Looks like Akebono and Axxis don't make them for the Cayenne so the only choice I found so far is the Centric Posi Quiet Ceramics from Tire Rack.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what you need but a Google search came up with these.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._116848_16108_

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Got this on a search for my model:

We're sorry, but there are no results in this parts category for 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD 8 Cylinders C 4.8L Twin Turbo DOHC. Please select another vehicle or click on the Parts tab at the top of the page to see the available parts for this vehicle.

But thanks....

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
I'd say their data base is out of date. It says that none are available for my 2013 Cayenne Diesel either. I took a different tack. Understanding there was nothing that could be done about the quantity of dust, I looked at it as an adhesion problem. That is, stop the dust from sticking to the wheels. Had a detail shop thoroughly clean the rims, then give them two coats of wheel wax. Then every other time I hand wash the car, I top that off with Turtle Wax aerosol wheel wax. Didn't cure the brake dust problem, but now only about 25% of it actually sticks.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 06-29-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:55 PM
NeunElf will become famous soon enough
What do you prefer, performance or less dust?

Do you like buying rotors instead of pads?

Factory is best for me anyway, 997.2, not a Cayenne, yet, but in the world of braking something has to give.

Aftermarket pads, unless they are a similar compound, will not perform as as well as OEM. With factory pads you haver great performance from the get-go, not so with these ceramic ones in my experience.

If your not sacrificing pads you will be sacrificing the rotor, so you may have less dust, but you will incur greater cost!

I use a good wheel cleaner, Sonax, with a commercial grade Karcher power washer and I NEVER have to do any hand scrubbing to keep my wheels clean.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Remove wheels and surgically clean them. Apply Optimum Opti Coat to entire wheel surface front and back. Clean wheels and tires occasionally with
this this
by simply spraying, soaking for a minute, and rinsing off.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Hi. Yes I did the whole car and the wheels with Opticoat 2.0 when I first got the car. I think the Opticoat does a great job on the rest of the car but the brake dust is so bad that I wonder if it helped the wheels at all. I wash the car in the garage with their no rinse car wash which is wonderful so I can't spray clean the wheels but instead have a stack of microfiber cloths just for the wheels and detailing spray. It is an endless battle especially with the amount of surface on the sport edition wheels.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Phat958 is on a distinguished road
I m thinking to get posi quiet ceramics for my cayenne diesel,
does anyone know if these are the correct part number?
Part 105.14530 105.13490 both front and rear.

thanks

Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Phat958
I m thinking to get posi quiet ceramics for my cayenne diesel,
does anyone know if these are the correct part number?
Part 105.14530 105.13490 both front and rear.

thanks
yes, those are the ones I have on my 2015 CD.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake dust solution ?