Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

GTS/Turbo Bumper Swap + Working DRLs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
They are pretty dim and you can't really see them in the bright sun. Those lights are designed as parking lights and for use at night, so they aren't meant to be very bright. I actually ended up also getting the DRLs that are built into the headlights like in the GTS/Turbo. I have them wired up so the DRLs in the headlight and the LED bar are on at the same time.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
blacksarena is on a distinguished road
wow that's quite amazing! So you just bought the GTS/Turbo headlights and asked your installer to wire them up? Actually I emailed my dealer about changing to GTS/Turbo headlights when I first got my S but my dealer said it's almost impossible..

But as long as you did it, it's a good news to me!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
Yes. That's right. I have the GTS/Turbo headlights installed in my S now. I did the GTS/Turbo bumper and sport design kit install and wired up the LED bar in the bumper to act as the DRLs. Since they aren't very bright I have both the DRLs in the headlights and the LED bar working at the same time.

It's not that impossible. In fact, you could get the both the S DRL bar and the headlight DRL working at the same time as well even the the S DRL bar draws more current than the turbo LED bar. I tested it in my car and it worked. I think the threshold for any codes is set at about 2X of the current draw of the DRL. You could build a harness and make an adaptor that doesn't require any splicing at all. I decided to just populate the empty slots in the headlight harness with the two pins needed for the DRLs in the headlights. I didn't get the dealership to do. I did it myself. I'll post a schematic for this mod.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 PM
blacksarena is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by snp_cayenne
Yes. That's right. I have the GTS/Turbo headlights installed in my S now. I did the GTS/Turbo bumper and sport design kit install and wired up the LED bar in the bumper to act as the DRLs. Since they aren't very bright I have both the DRLs in the headlights and the LED bar working at the same time.

It's not that impossible. In fact, you could get the both the S DRL bar and the headlight DRL working at the same time as well even the the S DRL bar draws more current than the turbo LED bar. I tested it in my car and it worked. I think the threshold for any codes is set at about 2X of the current draw of the DRL. You could build a harness and make an adaptor that doesn't require any splicing at all. I decided to just populate the empty slots in the headlight harness with the two pins needed for the DRLs in the headlights. I didn't get the dealership to do. I did it myself. I'll post a schematic for this mod.
sounds sweet! I will have my mechanic look at it, hopefully he could figure it out.

Do you have any photos about the current DRLs? It would be amazing if you could post some of them

Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM
MSPOLTO is on a distinguished road
Help

Dear SNP Cayenne,

Hope all is well with you. Congratulations, the conversion turned out just great!!! I am planning to convert front bumper of my Cayenne S (year/model 2012) into GTS/Turbo model. Here in Brazil folks are not well versed in doing this stuff, even less to make the DRL's work. Would you be so kind to sell me a harness like the one you made for your car? I will be in the US (Miami) in March so you could ship it to me then. If you agree, let me know the amount and if I can pay you via PayPal. Thanks in advance and regards, Marcio

Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by snp_cayenne
Just did a GTS/Turbo bumper swap on my 2013 Cayenne S. Turned out great!

Typically you lose the DRLs with this swap because of the DRLs being integrated in the headlights for the GTS and Turbo. I made a little harness adapter that allows the LED bar in the GTS/Turbo bumper to double as both the parking lights and DRLs without any ECU warnings. I can still disable the DRLs if I want from the PCM.

I've attached the schematic for the custom harness.

How long did it take you to do the bumper swap?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM
gtKnight will become famous soon enough
Nicely done Gnat

Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Gene Culley is on a distinguished road
snp_cayenne would you be willing to make and sell me the harnesses I would need for a conversion please?

^ I tried to not make this message bold and it won't take it off!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Gene Culley
snp_cayenne would you be willing to make and sell me the harnesses I would need for a conversion please?

^ I tried to not make this message bold and it won't take it off!
gnat is selling these using the design I came up with. they are the same and he should be able to give you more info.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Follow the link in my sig and there is a link to the for sale posting in the first post with all the info.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Gene Culley is on a distinguished road
Thanks to the both of you for quick replies.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:00 AM
ipapilot is on a distinguished road
Quick question for those who did the swap. Do you need to eliminate the head light washers when doing the conversion? My body shop said the turbo bumper is not provisioned for them...

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Thanks to the both of you for quick replies.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:24 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ipapilot
Quick question for those who did the swap. Do you need to eliminate the head light washers when doing the conversion? My body shop said the turbo bumper is not provisioned for them...
Your body shop doesn't know what it's talking about. I don't know if there is an option that doesn't support the washers, but there certainly is one that does.

You do need new covers and if I remember correctly you need new mounts too (though it may be complete units) as the positioning is a bit different.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:09 PM
ipapilot is on a distinguished road
It's their first conversion, so I know they are outside of the box but are doing their best to make it happen. Their concern was with the support specifically. I gave them the full parts list from Suncoast as a cross reference so maybe it included those washer supports since Suncoast claims their kits is everything that is needed.

Originally Posted by gnat
Your body shop doesn't know what it's talking about. I don't know if there is an option that doesn't support the washers, but there certainly is one that does.

You do need new covers and if I remember correctly you need new mounts too (though it may be complete units) as the positioning is a bit different.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:31 PM
I definitely recommend their kit. I've read about issues where parts were missing, but Suncoast always corrected it. I went the ala-cart method via ECS as it looked like they could do it about $500 cheaper. Turned out we missed parts in the original list and when all was said and done it was about the same price (maybe a bit more, it's been a few years). ECS busted their *** for me in figuring it all out so I'm all for supporting them, but the Suncoast approach is probably going to be the easiest route.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GTS/Turbo Bumper Swap + Working DRLs