Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 PM
speedfreak01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you everyone...

Thanks for all the advice....

Unfortunately, I spoke to 4 dealers/SA and only one knew about the WC-22 campaign. They checked my vin and said it did not apply to my car, a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. They are not willing to replace it if it is not under the recall.

Will

Old 07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedfreak01
Thanks for all the advice....

Unfortunately, I spoke to 4 dealers/SA and only one knew about the WC-22 campaign. They checked my vin and said it did not apply to my car, a 2011 Cayenne Turbo. They are not willing to replace it if it is not under the recall.

Will
There's a term called "willful ignorance" - I suspect the 3 dealers are using that.

Of course since Porsche won't pay them to do it. I'd suggest you urge a few of the people who posted above who may be able to get us some info about steel replacement bolts to do so. This is a very cheap way to "fix" it - and it should be a "for good" sort of fix.

My mechanic (we sort of work together on stuff like this..) thinks it's the way to go, and if I strip off all the decorative plastic thinks it's a few hours max labor to do it. Cost of the bolts isn't going to be more than $30 or so (probably WAY less..) so - we're looking at doing it for less than $250. To me that's a no-brainer, and once it's done you can point your butt in the direction of Porsche and return the fart they've blown at you..

BTW - it is REALLY rare that a "Service Advisor" is anything more than a glorified service seller. Their job is to advise you how to spend as much money with the dealership's service department as possible.

I usually try to cut through the BS and ask for the actual "Service Manager" - he's usually fairly savvy on what's actually going on with the cars since he has to submit the warranty claims to Porsche. It helps a lot if you bring him a 6-pack of German beer every so often. If he likes you - things can magically happen - including Porsche paying for thier f*ck-ups.

Last edited by deilenberger; 07-07-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:55 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Did you change them ?

Originally Posted by sterz
what years are the cars affected by this issue?

I called my sa yesterday and he said my vin doesn't have the service bulletin attached to it to indicate i need to get the repair done.

My car is a 2012 ctt with about 62k miles on it.

Edit:
Double checked on which part i have installed and it looks like my car is also affected by this.

My part number - 948 105 051 21 ; replacement part number is 948 105 051 ( 23 )

Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boxs1
Did you change them ?
I'm not him - but a question to boxs1 - do you still have the old adjusters? Can you take out one of the bolts and give us dimensions, or even better - ship one to me so I can spec out steel replacements?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boxs1
Did you change them ?
nah, used the money on a warranty so if it goes, warranty will cover it
plus anything else that might break

Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 AM
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
nah, used the money on a warranty so if it goes, warranty will cover it plus anything else that might break
Good and bad. Bad because you'll need to Pray it doesn't happen while on a highway or a busy road because you'll loose your brakes. Also you'll need another car for the time the CTT is on the shop which it'll be roughly 15-25 days depending on how fast Porsche can get your engine. I replaced mine because I was not willing to have an accident.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by osj911
Wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this.

My family was driving our 2011 Cayenne S on the freeway the other day and they saw the following lights: PSM failure, Check Engine, Start/Stop deactivated, ABS. They were on the freeway and they pulled off and soon after the engine completely died and would not turn on.

The dealer called today to say the camshaft adjuster bolt had snapped off and as a result, the hydraulic brake system also failed? Has anyone ever had this issue?
(
Literally the post above could have been written by me. I have a 2011 (May 2011 build date) Cayenne S with around 72k miles (out of warranty). It's currently sitting at the dealer waiting to have the engine pulled apart to find 8 screw halves. I've signed no written estimate and been told verbally Porsche is covering all the damage. The SA said this has become a common issue, he's done 3 in the last couple months.

Last edited by edmtwentyone; 07-12-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
Literally the post above could have been written by me. I have a 2011 (May 2011 build date) Cayenne S with around 72k miles (out of warranty). It's currently sitting at the dealer waiting to have the engine pulled apart to find 8 screw halves. I've signed no written estimate and been told verbally Porsche is covering all the damage. The SA said this is become a common issue, he's done 3 in the last couple months.
Could I ask (perhaps reply off line) - which dealer it went to? the SA's at the dealer I'm closest to claim there is no problem. Doesn't exist. Never happened. I think it's a case of selective ignorance.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Could I ask (perhaps reply off line) - which dealer it went to? the SA's at the dealer I'm closest to claim there is no problem. Doesn't exist. Never happened. I think it's a case of selective ignorance.
I'll let you know once I get it back in a couple weeks. Don't want to blow up my spot for now....but it is definitely selective ignorance by some dealers (like the first I talked to about it)

Old 07-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Literally the post above could have been written by me. I have a 2011 (May 2011 build date) Cayenne S with around 72k miles (out of warranty). It's currently sitting at the dealer waiting to have the engine pulled apart to find 8 screw halves. I've signed no written estimate and been told verbally Porsche is covering all the damage. The SA said this is become a common issue, he's done 3 in the last couple months.
my Porsche Shop had 6 last month and 3 the current July. Getting used to see them there for this.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
I'll let you know once I get it back in a couple weeks. Don't want to blow up my spot for now....but it is definitely selective ignorance by some dealers (like the first I talked to about it)
it's selective ignorance by Porsche. I don't regret my CTT and will buy the 2018 model for sure but this is a security and safety matter. They already did in China what had to be done everywhere, a recall for this.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by amablemiguel
Good and bad. Bad because you'll need to Pray it doesn't happen while on a highway or a busy road because you'll loose your brakes. Also you'll need another car for the time the CTT is on the shop which it'll be roughly 15-25 days depending on how fast Porsche can get your engine. I replaced mine because I was not willing to have an accident.
Why do the brakes stop working? I'm keeping an eye on the other thread to see if they can identify the replacement bolt and might go that route later.

Right now, taking the car to the stop Friday to get the rotors/pads replaced

Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Why do the brakes stop working? I'm keeping an eye on the other thread to see if they can identify the replacement bolt and might go that route later.

Right now, taking the car to the stop Friday to get the rotors/pads replaced
Vacuum pump driven off the rear of engine, when it goes you have no brakes.
A bit scary when it goes. Thankfully I was on an empty highway and could coast to the shoulder and stall.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Vacuum pump driven off the rear of engine, when it goes you have no brakes.
A bit scary when it goes. Thankfully I was on an empty highway and could coast to the shoulder and stall.
Won't the parking brake help out then?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 AM
Won't the parking brake help out then?
If you enjoy violently crashing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdE8sP4QDF8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?