Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
Dmill is an unknown quantity at this point
NHTSA Recall

I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo and signed up for emails with NHTSA. I got an email this morning at 5am that a recall was issued for my car (NHTSA Recall ID Number:17V368) which is perfect timing because my Panamera is currently sitting at the dealership with a blown engine (46k miles). I called the dealership and they were not aware of the recall and will look into it.

Here's a link to the recall
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368

I also attempted to attach the files.

At the moment Porsche is telling the dealership that I should pay for the tear down of the engine to see if the camshaft was the issue that caused the engine to fail. If it was the camshaft, they will cover the tear down but if not, then I have to pay. I think it is the camshaft but the dealership is not convinced because they believe the failure is in the lower end of the engine.

Is it unusual for the manufacturer to ask the customer to pay for the tear down? Should I push back against me covering the tear down since the recall came out?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NHTSA_Safety_Issues.pdf (20.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf
RCAK-17V368-8382.pdf (238.0 KB, 237 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dmill
I have a 2010 Panamera Turbo and signed up for emails with NHTSA. I got an email this morning at 5am that a recall was issued for my car (NHTSA Recall ID Number:17V368) which is perfect timing because my Panamera is currently sitting at the dealership with a blown engine (46k miles). I called the dealership and they were not aware of the recall and will look into it.

At the moment Porsche is telling the dealership that I should pay for the tear down of the engine to see if the camshaft was the issue that caused the engine to fail. If it was the camshaft, they will cover the tear down but if not, then I have to pay. I think it is the camshaft but the dealership is not convinced because they believe the failure is in the lower end of the engine.

Is it unusual for the manufacturer to ask the customer to pay for the tear down? Should I push back against me covering the tear down since the recall came out?
If they would have to tear down the engine to make the recall repair anyway, yes, I'd push back. If not, you may have to initially pay and then get it back, but I don't believe there are a lot of failures on these motors outside the camshaft adjuster bolts, so you're probably good either way.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM
porscheman170 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dmill

Wow this is a huge win for all effected Porsche owners and also potential Cayenne or Panamera buyers. I know I will feel safer buying a 2011 -
2012 Cayenne knowing that Porsche will pay to update the camshaft adjusters.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Victory !!!

Old 06-14-2017, 11:48 AM
kozzimo55 is on a distinguished road
This is a huge step towards preventative victory. Let's see how they retroactively handle situations where the failure has already occurred...

Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by porscheman170
Hi kozzimo55,

Thanks for the information. Is it possible drop the oil pan enough to get to the oil pickup tube without taking the engine out, or the cross member?
Yes, it is a very easy process to drop the oil pan from below the car. There is one cross brace to remove with about 4 bolts, then you have full access to the pan. Do not waste you time doing this if you don't plan on taking the extra step to remove the pickup tube for further inspection. And don't forget to order a new oil pan gasket

This whole process took me less than an hour.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Well, so much for all the crazy amount of time and effort I put into my Titanium bolt solution lol. At least this won't be affecting anyone else.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Cayenne911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kozzimo55
Well, so much for all the crazy amount of time and effort I put into my Titanium bolt solution lol. At least this won't be affecting anyone else.

Let me know what the cost will be on a set, I have a motor here that I would like to retro fit the Titanium bolts with before selling, I tried to have some made by a vendor here but the cost for production was way more that I wanted to spend on one motor, I know I could have sold more but I'm not sure the market was there for selling more sets.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I called PNA today, they have no idea about this recall.
If PNA has no idea, i suspect my local dealer will have no clue as well.
What is the cost for those bolts! please see my pm and post above !
i would like to do this job asap.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Wow! We did it. Thanks to all the people who reported their issues to NHTSA! Usually with a recall like this, anyone who spent money to prevent or repair the recall issue must be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

This is great news, and when I get home I'll be contacting the chap at NHTSA who I discussed the problem with to thank him.

Now, about the transfer cases..

Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Chadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the roughChadillac2000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Now, about the transfer cases..
Congrats to all of you! It's bittersweet for me as I didn't even factor V8 958s into the equation when I was recently looking to purchase because of the camshaft bolt failures. I probably would have considered the larger engine had I known Porsche was going to step up to the plate.

As you said though, the transfer cases must be next. I recently spoke to a salesman at the Porsche dealership in Manhattan and he says the transfer case problems are really racking up in NYC. I feel like its just a matter of time as the fluid continues to become older and further compromised in these pigs. The problems are going to become hard to ignore.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
I reached out to my local dealer (Porsche Marin) and they did not know anything about the bolt recall. They ran my VIN and nothing came up and when I run it on the Porsche recall check website nothing comes up either. I suspect it will take some time before Porsche gets the recall into their systems.

Its interesting that they speak of replacing the bolts in the Notice rather than replacing the entire variocam units.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I don't believe that this was a voluntary action by PCNA. Their toes were in the fire once NHTSA got copies of the recalls in Japan and China. (Wonder how they got those....?)

The case for a recall in this case was clear. Engine failure could equal a crash and that could equal injury or death. That's the criteria NHTSA uses. Transfer Case? Not so much. I would be hard pressed with the current failure mode to see a scenario where it might cause a crash.

What's needed to encourage Porsche to step up on the transfer case issue is bad publicity. That's a double edged sword since it could lessen your vehicles value. My goal with the transfer case is to get Porsche to revise the service interval to something reasonable..

Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 AM
I also suspect the entire Variocam adjusters will be replaced re WC22. Saying bolts sounds better, minimizes the bad publicity.

I have seen a bit of communication that describes the timeline, and the formal announcement isn't made until parts are in place to perform the recall. I suspect Hydraluk-Ring will be doing some overtime.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Dmill is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I don't believe that this was a voluntary action by PCNA. Their toes were in the fire once NHTSA got copies of the recalls in Japan and China. (Wonder how they got those....?)
I thought it was interesting that NHTSA specifically mentioned those recalls in their letter to Porsche:

"Please amend your Defect Information report to explain why this recall was filed in June 2017 when recalls for the same failure in were initiated in April 2013 for substantially similar vehicles in Japan and during January 2015 for vehicles in China and Korea."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?