Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
2011 Cayenne S
WC-22 only covers a "range of affected VINs" and my car wasn't in the range, even though I had the defective part that was updated in 2012 w/ steel magnetic screws. It was like arguing with idiots. My car had 72k miles too so it couldn't be managed into emissions warranty like my service adviser attempted to (that was gone at 70k miles).
I will say though as unimpressed as I am w/ corporate my dealer experience has been phenomenal; maybe because the adviser felt like I got screwed (and I did) so he's thrown me a couple good bones since.

Originally Posted by Tom_T
What year & model Cayenne was it Ed?

I'm surprised that they even charged you anything with the fact that they've had their "voluntary" WC-22 fix for it in place since 2012 - which the AH08 Recall is & supersedes it - but always refused to do the WC-22 until it fails according to everything I've heard & what I've read on here.

While they reduced your cost last Fall, & will now refund money - I would report it to NHTSA, & insist on an immediate refund plus interest on your funds since then!

While I'm sure you're happy to get the money back, this is not any kindness nor even good business relations from Porsche, because they've known of the problem & it's serious consequences since at least 2011 or 2012, & they should've knowwn it was Recall serious when BMW had to do a recall on their version of the part from the same OEM supplier, as well as the recalls on the Cays & Panas in other countries since 2013.

The NHTSA official isn't impressed by Porsche's evasion on this matter.

JMHO - Cheers!
Tom
///////

Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Tom_T will become famous soon enough
Yes you did get screwed, & the WC-22 was arbitrarily limited by their claimed VIN range, when the parts clearly go for the full 2011 & early 2012 up some unknown date, & really both the WC-22 & AH08 should cover ANY Cay/Pana with the defective xxx.21 p/n Variocam adjusters with the known defective screws - period. It was a corporate stop-loss!

I plan to write the NHTSA official in that letter in the recall notice posted above by Don to point out their problems beyond "stalling," with leaving off 2012 Cay V8's, that it should cover all engines with the defective bolts/cam adjuster, & that they're showing no urgency in getting parts in to do the recall given the serious dangers of a failure.

So I still say report it, so that NHTSA has another one on record, & insist on a prompt refund with interest.

Good Luck with yours!
Tom
///////

Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
2011 Cayenne S
WC-22 only covers a "range of affected VINs" and my car wasn't in the range, even though I had the defective part that was updated in 2012 w/ steel magnetic screws. It was like arguing with idiots. My car had 72k miles too so it couldn't be managed into emissions warranty like my service adviser attempted to (that was gone at 70k miles).
I will say though as unimpressed as I am w/ corporate my dealer experience has been phenomenal; maybe because the adviser felt like I got screwed (and I did) so he's thrown me a couple good bones since.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM
edmtwentyone is on a distinguished road
Yes you did get screwed, & the WC-22 was arbitrarily limited by their claimed VIN range, when the parts clearly go for the full 2011 & early 2012 up some unknown date, & really both the WC-22 & AH08 should cover ANY Cay/Pana with the defective xxx.21 p/n Variocam adjusters with the known defective screws - period. It was a corporate stop-loss!

I plan to write the NHTSA official in that letter in the recall notice posted above by Don to point out their problems beyond "stalling," with leaving off 2012 Cay V8's, that it should cover all engines with the defective bolts/cam adjuster, & that they're showing no urgency in getting parts in to do the recall given the serious dangers of a failure.

So I still say report it, so that NHTSA has another one on record, & insist on a prompt refund with interest.

Good Luck with yours!
Tom
///////

I just wrote Tariq Bond the NHSTA rep a lengthy email detailing the significant safety risk of failure as the recall makes it seem like when it fails you just get a check engine light and engine vibration....how about complete engine failure, no brakes and no power steering. That isn't fun at 80mph in the left lane on busy 3 lane highway.
I also plan on asking for interest and other incurred expenses beside the Porsche repair bill. Can't believe how negligent they were with this, especially as Diesel Gate was in full effect too. They literally were concerned about saving costs than customer safety and thought they could sweep each incident under the rug.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
I just wrote Tariq Bond the NHSTA rep a lengthy email detailing the significant safety risk of failure as the recall makes it seem like when it fails you just get a check engine light and engine vibration....how about complete engine failure, no brakes and no power steering. That isn't fun at 80mph in the left lane on busy 3 lane highway.
I also plan on asking for interest and other incurred expenses beside the Porsche repair bill. Can't believe how negligent they were with this, especially as Diesel Gate was in full effect too. They literally were concerned about saving costs than customer safety and thought they could sweep each incident under the rug.
I'm actually quite surprised you guys are still driving the cars. If it was my wife driving the Cayenne as her daily, I would have left it with the dealer and demanded a loaner as the Cayenne isn't safe to drive.

My two happiest day as a Cayenne owner were when I bought my first Porsche and then when I traded it in. You can see the WV culture taking over Porsche, looking thru their history, unless it's a class action lawsuit or the community coming together and pushing for a recall, they avoid any action/responsibility.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:36 PM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
This won't get any better with all of the "dieselgate" losses affecting their judgement.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM
spirit49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just off the phone with the local dealership here in Switzerland.

He could confirm that our (new to us) 2011 Turbo wont have an issue with the bolts. Somehow I dont believe him at all.

Unless the engines on the European Turbos are different than the USA, Japan and China ones, those bolts will eventually break on ours too.
(M4852 engine)

The way that they deny it, gives me great concern.

Not happy letting my wife use this car on her daily commute on the Autobahn!!

Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spirit49
Just off the phone with the local dealership here in Switzerland.

He could confirm that our (new to us) 2011 Turbo wont have an issue with the bolts. Somehow I dont believe him at all.

Unless the engines on the European Turbos are different than the USA, Japan and China ones, those bolts will eventually break on ours too.
(M4852 engine)

The way that they deny it, gives me great concern.

Not happy letting my wife use this car on her daily commute on the Autobahn!!
Take a look at the bolts and if they're the tamper resistant versions with the center pin, you could/will have the issue. Pay to replace them before they fail and recover the money once an appropriate recall is issued or lawsuit settled.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Will do that.
Just need to get my mirror at the hangar.

Im just wondering why they try to avoid a recall in Europe.
Less liability in Europe vs USA???

Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spirit49
Will do that.
Just need to get my mirror at the hangar.

Im just wondering why they try to avoid a recall in Europe.
Less liability in Europe vs USA???
I don't think the liability drove them to a recall in the US - it was NHTSA investigating the fact that they'd done recalls in other countries - and pretended it never happened in the USA.

Dunno if Switzerland has an agency regulating motor vehicle safety, but based on how organized it is (I visited by motorcycle a few years ago) - I can't imagine they don't. So the task you might take in hand is to find out their public reporting process and use it - and encourage other owners in CH to use it. I think I still have copies of the Japanese and Chinese recall notices/agreements if you want to submit them. That might get Porsche to pay some attention in Europe.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 AM
hubbard316 is on a distinguished road
Question

Just got my letter in the mail on yesterday for the recall. Talked to my local dealer and he stated the parts were not available yet. However the letter states to bring the car in and they will give you a a loaner if you have check engine lights and warnings going off (which I have). My car has been throwing codes for a HPFP replacement (which has been replaced; and now I am wondering if it was bad and just throwing this code because of this recall issue) and has been idling rough still along with this knocking/ticking weird noise sometimes like something is clicking together like an old beat up car. Any idea of what that could be?

The question I have is, I have read where Porsche is sometimes replacing the entire engine if the bolts are broken off. What would be the case for this? Just wanting to know before I go in and they simply try to replace the bolts when more is needed. Also, does anyone know if they are offering a warranty after this replacement?

I am scheduling the car to go in this week but just wanted to get a heads up if anyone is experiencing this or has gone through this process yet.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:39 AM
sjg1138 will become famous soon enoughsjg1138 will become famous soon enough
Sonnen (aka Marin Porsche) in the SF Bay Area just confirmed to me that the AH08 service action parts are not available to them. They did not have an eta on the parts availability.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Tom_T will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deilenberger

...Switzerland ... (I visited by motorcycle a few years ago) ....
Dang Don - you must've had a REALLY LONG snorkel!!!!

On a serious note, as soon as I get caught up with my work, I plan to also write the NHTSA official on the letter to Porsche about the downplaying of it's seriousness/dangers/risks to life & limb, leaving off the 2012 Cay V8s which are known to have some with failures, & the fact that they seem to be directing the parts which they have to those dealers with 2011 & 2012 affected Cay/Pana for sale - while telling private parties they aren't available. I know of 3 2011 & a 2012 CayS's FS at Porsche dealers which have been repaired since AH08 came out on 6/20/17!

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
kozzimo55 is on a distinguished road
Well, life caught up to me and slowed me down quite a bit. We had a baby about 6 weeks ago and I haven't kept myself updated on all of this stuff.

Anyways, I had already put so much time into my Titanium bolt design, that I figured I would at least run a small batch and see if anyone was interested in them. I am sure that these forged and machined Titanium bolts are going to have many advantages.

Here are some samples:

Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 PM
porscheman170 is on a distinguished road
Dang Don - you must've had a REALLY LONG snorkel!!!!

On a serious note, as soon as I get caught up with my work, I plan to also write the NHTSA official on the letter to Porsche about the downplaying of it's seriousness/dangers/risks to life & limb, leaving off the 2012 Cay V8s which are known to have some with failures, & the fact that they seem to be directing the parts which they have to those dealers with 2011 & 2012 affected Cay/Pana for sale - while telling private parties they aren't available. I know of 3 2011 & a 2012 CayS's FS at Porsche dealers which have been repaired since AH08 came out on 6/20/17!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
NHTSA might have left off the 2012s in their letter but Porsche is covering them with the recall. I know this for a fact because I have a 2012 and my dealer informed me of the recall on it. The parts are already ordered and when they arrive it will be scheduled in.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 PM

So I managed to have a peak at "my bolts".

These look very much like the tampering proof bolts.

But I guess I shouldn't worry since there is "NO PROBLEM WITH YOUR ENGINE SIR, its not affected at all by the WC22, AH08 recalls".

Im glad we have completely different engines in Europe than you poor guys in China, Japan and USA.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?