Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Secondary cat removal question - Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:02 AM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Secondary cat removal question - Need help

I have ordered the Fabspeed bypass pipes which should be here in 2-3 days. I have a 2013 Cayenne GTS

I took a look-see under the Cayenne on a lift..... The install instructions online simply say "remove the 3 flange bolts"

How would I remove the upper flange bolt on the right side (passenger side)? It is inaccessible to any of my tools...HELP!

Is there a special tool I need to get behind the pipe?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:21 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
Did you check out Blazinpond's DIY?

Fabspeed CAT Bypass Pipe Install

Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM
MikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of lightMikeL is a glorious beacon of light
I cant remember what I used, but I think it was a combination 1/4" mini ratchet/socket and extensions, as well as a mini wrench. their instructions said to loosen the bolts on the brace/tranny but so it drops to give you more room, but I didn't do that and still managed to get the pipes in and out. the driver side is easy and has plenty of room. the passenger side only one bolt is kind of a snug fit.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Thanks HoiYa!

The key to reach the hard to reach flange nuts: use a long extension and two universal joint sockets.
Don't forget to hit them with a lubricating spray and sit a little first.
See pic below.

Additional tools needed for Cat Bypass installation

Old 09-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Thank you. I will try that.
I also noticed the curved ratchet tool in one of your pictures...where did you get it? Looks like it would be useful.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by super50
Thank you. I will try that.
I also noticed the curved ratchet tool in one of your pictures...where did you get it? Looks like it would be useful.
The half-moon ratchet is NOT needed for a 958 secondary cat bypass pipe install DIY.
It actually provided little to no benefit during my install.

The way the 958's are designed, it will not fit (grab a hold of) the hard to reach flange nuts.
Evidently, the tool worked on older versions of the Cayenne, which is why i bought it.
There is a lip on the back side of the secondary cat that prevents the wrench to fit the nut.
It simply does not FIT given the tight space.

IIRC, you need both a 12 and 13 mm since the nuts are different (take off vs. put on).
To sum it up, it's far easier to get at the flange nuts with the simple Craftsman tools i posted a pic of.

Make sense?

Last edited by BlazinPond; 09-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=BlazinPond;4199628]The half-moon ratchet is NOT needed for a 958 secondary cat bypass pipe install DIY.
It actually provided little to no benefit during my install.

The way the 958's are designed, it will not fit (grab a hold of) the hard to reach flange nuts.
Evidently, the tool worked on older versions of the Cayenne, which is why i bought it.
There is a lip on the back side of the secondary cat that prevents the wrench to fit the nut.
It simply does not FIT given the tight space.

IIRC, you need both a 12 and 13 mm since the nuts are different (take off vs. put on).
To sum it up, it's far easier to get at the flange nuts with the simple Craftsman tools i posted a pic of.

Thank you....I really appreciate your input. Looking forward to this mod.
Hopefully wife likes it too, otherwise I will be switching cars with her.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:54 PM
So I'm stuck.

All the bolts are off, except the top bolt on the passenger side. I can get the socket on it with extensions like you suggested but can't seem to get any torque on the bolt. The socket slips off. I tried getting to it from the wheel well with similar results.

What's next? Drill out the bolt or cut it off? I'm afraid of hurting the flange on the other pipe.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
So I'm stuck.

All the bolts are off, except the top bolt on the passenger side. I can get the socket on it with extensions like you suggested but can't seem to get any torque on the bolt. The socket slips off. I tried getting to it from the wheel well with similar results.

What's next? Drill out the bolt or cut it off? I'm afraid of hurting the flange on the other pipe.
That last nut is the toughest one to reach, no doubt. You're so close...

Be careful not to strip it. Did you blast it with a penetrating spray and let it sit?

IIRC, i had to be very careful to use one hand (barely fit two fingers on the back side) and maintain the socket sitting tight on the nut. Then, adjust my hands to slowy turn the wrench. It was tough and i didn't think it was going to go, but it finally popped before i stripped anything.

Once the bolt is stripped, i've read others that had to resort to drastic measures to cut the bolt/nut. I can't help you out here as i luckily didn't have this problem.

Let us know how it turns out. It's frustrating but hang in there

Last edited by BlazinPond; 09-24-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HOiYA
Did you check out Blazinpond's DIY?

Fabspeed CAT Bypass Pipe Install

This is a great write up, thank you for doing this Blazinpond!

So I'm stuck.

Is it possible to get a hand up on the socket to keep it from slipping loose? Also - since the other nuts/bolts are removed, can you push the pipe up to allow more access? The top nut might be too tight to allow movement, but its worth a shot, just don't force it too hard.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 AM
All done! What a sound it makes now.
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Special thanks to Blazinpond for the encouragement!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 PM
All done! What a sound it makes now.
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Special thanks to Blazinpond for the encouragement!
It feels great to know that i was able to help you!!!!
Appreciate the feedback!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Feedback............OK. Just drove it for 1000 miles round trip.....LOVE it.
No drone at all. Cant tell the difference on the highway if sport mode is off.
In sport mode - driving is fun again! Wife had a bit of a frown at times though.
Kids had the biggest grins in the back seat.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM
pandagts is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I was planning on ordering these bypass pipes pretty soon but I had another question for my fellow 6speeders. I was wondering if its possible to keep the sport exhaust activated at all times on my 2013 GTS. I have read on some other sites/forums that people were doing this to their previous gen GTS' using a zip tie or golf tee to prevent the exhaust baffles from closing. Has anyone done something like this with the 2013 GTS?

Sorry to op for the thread jack but I was just curious and didn't want to make a new thread.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I saw the vacuum tubes when I was getting the bypass pipes installed - they are pretty accessible, so the golf tee mod should be pretty easy.

But why? You can just turn on the sport button for the same effect. That way its easily reversed if you are around a school, or police.... ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secondary cat removal question - Need help