Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Changing the engine air filters on 958 Cayenne - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gnat
I would assume that the V6 diesel block is smaller than the V8 which would give me a bit more room than you had
Agree.
I kinda figured that too!

Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Any thoughts on replacing cabin filter? I suspect its access is under the dash. TIA.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Changing the cabin air filter is a pretty easy DIY.
It takes very little time if you know what your doing.
I will add that it's AWKWARD to position yourself (on your back).

Anyways, I found a link on Rennlist which was for a 957 Cayenne.
It helped me understand the general procedure to change the air filter.

One word of caution, the 957 is certainly different than the 958 Cayenne.
However, its so straight forward that if you take your time and go slow and deliberate, you should have no problem.

Let us know how it goes.
If you need help, i would be happy to assist in anyway i can.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:29 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mto
Any thoughts on replacing cabin filter? I suspect its access is under the dash. TIA.
After you pull the kick panel it's nothing like the 955/957. There is a DIY for it on RennTech that covers removing the footwell air duct which is the confusing bit if you are trying to go by the older model DIYs.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...bin-air-filter

Last edited by gnat; 02-23-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Kroads is an unknown quantity at this point
Still confused how to remove the screws

I tried to replace the V6 filter this passed weekend. Unfortunately I was not able to remove these long screws. No matter how I rotate them they would not come up. I could not see any notches to align to either..

Old 07-07-2016, 06:34 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kroads
I tried to replace the V6 filter this passed weekend. Unfortunately I was not able to remove these long screws. No matter how I rotate them they would not come up. I could not see any notches to align to either..
Get a dental mirror and look at the underside of the fitting they go into. There will be a notch there, and on the end of the plastic retaining pins there will be a flag. There are some dots on the top of the screws that can be used to orient them to the notches, but I always forget how the dots go, so I just dig out my dental mirror and look while I'm doing it.

The other option - is simply break off the plastic flag. My '06 had that when I got it, and the pins never showed any tendency to working their way out. My '11 still has them.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:16 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
2014 Porsche Cayenne base - Air Fiter

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Very easy and cheap DIY for the air filters on a 958 Cayenne Turbo.

These filters are pretty universal between various Cayenne models and VW Touareg, regardless of engine size (V8, turbo or diesel).
IIRC, i spent around 30 bucks for two filters.
Start to finish time took no more than 30-minutes.

Remove the small additional cover (top portion for coolant access) on passenger's side.

Passenger's side: Remove the plastic 'push pins' in order to remove the side cover. This provides access to the air filter box.

Driver's side: Remove the plastic 'push pins' in order to remove the side cover. There is approximately 4 per side. This provides access to the filter box.

Removal of the plastic housing on either side requires removal of the 'push pins'. Use a small flathead or knife to pop the middle section up...then lift the entire 'pin'

Passenger's side air filter box after side panel removal.

Driver's side air filter box after panel removal

The above plastic screws/bolts only need to be pulled straight up. While there is a slot/key at the bottom, i didn't have to use any tools to turn and align. This allows you to disconnect the tubing from air filter box. Once disconnected, you will be able to lift the air filter box to allow access to the filter.

A close up of the hole slot and end of plastic 'bolt'

Gently pull the plastic tubing out from the air box then lift the air filter box straight up to access the filter.

Air filter element is pretty obvious once air filter box is lifted up and out.

One year old filter left....new replacement on right.

Filter specs and cross reference for various brands
Thank you BlazinPond for posting this excellent air filter replacement DIY. I did it today on my 2014 Cayenne base. it is easy to remove filter as soon as I can remove the 2 long plastic screw to hold the intake tube. Put it back takes some times to align the box.

I like to add few pictures for this air filter replacement DIY. I will do Oil change next week. that is my do list.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	458654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	458655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	458656  
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM
TheUnscented is on a distinguished road
Great write up & Photos. I can only add:
-for the four air filter pins, point the tabs towards the back, pull straight up w pliars
-when replacing element, I found easier to place the element into the cover and then
mount cover/element as one unit

Highly recommend doing this yourself, as on mine, I found the old element to have a crushed rubber seal which had no double let unfiltered air bypass the element. Also, with the airbox removed, I was able to more thoroughly inspect my vehicle and found one of my turbos is leaking oil.

There's not a lot of wrenching to be done on modern vehicles but this is in everyone's wheelhouse. The satisfaction exceeds the $$ saved. Thanks for the write up!!!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Great DIY. I did mine last January. Question for you... how many miles did you put on between filter changes? Thanks.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM
TheUnscented is on a distinguished road
Not really sure as I acquired the vehicle this summer at 66k and just changed them last week at 79k.

Porsche recommends (see link below) air filter changes every four years or 120,000 km. They may as well express that interval in hectares. Fortunately Google was able to tell me it's about 74,500 miles. I was able to get all of the old maintenance records performed at Porsche but haven't dug deep or scanned them in yet. It's unlikely the factory crushed one of my filters on the install so it's likely some non-caring technician did the job later. Another reason to do your own maintenance. Do I believe that an oil change technician is using a calibrated torque wrench to get the right tightness on the plug on my aluminum sump pan? No, why would they?

https://markmotorsporsche.com/images..._Intervals.pdf

Old 04-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Shinrouen is an unknown quantity at this point
Removing the front engine bay cover panels

Not to revive such a long thread but can someone advise on how to remove the foremost front panel? On my V6 I was able to remove the 7-8 rivets holding down the engine bay covers that prevent access to the engine air filter but that foremost front panel seems like such a pain in the rear to pull out and I didn't want to use excessive force. Any secrets to this?

Been driving and loving the 958 for the last ten thousand miles-finally got around to changing the cabin air filter and thought the engine air filter would be a nice and easy next rite of induction to the club.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:52 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I don't believe the front most beauty cover has to be removed (you're speaking of the one around the latch assembly?).. at least I didn't remove it when I did the filters on my 958 turbo.