Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Sell Me on the Cayenne!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 PM
dytryn is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you haven't driven the Cayenne yet or you would have not bothered posting. It is easily the best dd car we have ever owned. Only thing better is towing 5,000 lbs with air suspension....amazing!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
cant wait for my new one, it has the air suspension!!!! It gets built in 9 days!

Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 PM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
[You know, the Cayenne is a piece of C*. That's why we are all ashamed to answer your question.]

Ok. That was the answer in a parallel universe. I think that not that many people are answering is because there is not much to say about a perfect SUV. If you read this forum, there are actually not that many people writing and complaining. Go to the Jeep Garage website and read what owners of Grand Cherokees have to say.

Like a lot of guys here, I am quite satisfied with my CD. I have reached a time in my life that I just want a goldilocks SUV. The CD is that vehicle. Unlike some forum members here, I am not afraid of staining it. My Golden Retriever rides inside.

I would suggest watching those reviews in YouTube from impartial reviewers. They may give you a better view than us, cheerleaders.

On a negative, if you are considering the CD, you have to factor in the costs of oil changes at 5K each time. Someone else on another thread, suggested that the 5K oil changes for the CD must be due to greedy dealers. However, that is more due to the quality of U.S. diesel. This is the same engine as in the Audi Q7 and VW Toureg. Those brands require 10K oil changes. I remember reading a couple of threads about people taking their engine oil for analysis and it seems that the oil quality start degrading around the 7-8K mark. Maybe Porsche is just trying to be conservative.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Banned
BlocktGrills is infamous around these partsBlocktGrills is infamous around these parts
Cayenne diesel is our best car also, it is perfect in every way!

Old 05-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
958 vs the GL is so lopsided it's not even fair!

Like many others have mentioned, there is a reason why Cayenne/Macan make up more than half of all Porsche NA sales year after year - it's just got so much going for it. All things considered it really has no downsides.

I have the pleasure of being around cars all day, everyday - and the Cayenne platform has come SO far since the 955. The interior is far and away best in class - the only equal/competitor in my opinion is the full sized Range Rover. Driving dynamics - Cayenne, especially in a fun trim level - again best in class.

It looks good, is reliable, goes and stops like stink when gussied up, and can haul a bunch of people or golf bags...what's not to love?

I also echo the sentiments of the torque monster that is the Cayenne Diesel. The only thing you have to factor is increased oil change intervals - but for usable power i'd take that trade over the standard v6 if you can swing it.

Just buy it, you won't be let down

Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM
JT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura aboutJT1198 has a spectacular aura about
I am a Porsche guy through and through and have a 14 MDX as the kid mobile with nothing but good things to say about it as a vehicle. Great space, technology, ride, comfort, etc.

However I recently added a Cayenne Turbo (wife will be driving the MDX as her primary now) and am really really impressed. I still don't like the lag on gas pedal contact vs the MDX or how it sometimes seems to search for the right gear a little bit, but in luxury comfort, manliness, sound, handling, looks etc then it is second to none. ZERO regrets with this SUV so far.

I do think the points about kids are legit. I wouldn't have bought a Cayenne if I still had a toddler. My youngest is now 7 and feels like the days of crumbs and snacks are behind us for the most part - besides the MDX is primary child carrier in our household anyway.

My vote for you would be MDX

Hope that helps

Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM
dytryn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JT1198
I do think the points about kids are legit. I wouldn't have bought a Cayenne if I still had a toddler. My youngest is now 7 and feels like the days of crumbs and snacks are behind us for the most part
That's FUNNY. My daughter is 14 and not only is my back seat at least full of crumbs and snack remnants as when she was younger, it is actually worse with constant grass from her soccer cleats. But really, who cares? It's a daily driver, not a garage queen, and is meant to be enjoyed.

Last edited by dytryn; 05-15-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
the cayenne sells itself, and a jeep is garbage compared to it in every way. yes ive lived with both.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
BlueLodge400 is on a distinguished road
Here are my opinions on some of the vehicles you are looking at. Most people will probably not agree with me on some or most of them. But they are just opinions, not facts!

A little bit of background.
Current SUV’s in the garage: 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 13 Q7 S-Line and 15 X5 50i Msport.
Currently on order: 2016 Cayenne Turbo.
Past SUV’s: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi, 2014 BMW X5 50iMsport(blew the engine after 4K miles). 955 C-Turbo

Jeep GC Overland: For the price, it is one amazing SUV. Compared to the competition, it’s a great “bang for your buck”
Pros: Lots of interior space. Comfortable to drive. Can go anywhere(the AWD capabilities in the snow/rain surpass the Cayenne in every way.) The SRT8 would give you the best of all worlds! A loaded JGC lease runs less than $700 a month.
Cons: ****ty dealer service departments. No 3rd row. V8 Hemi engine is a joke. JGC are hit or miss when it comes to getting one that is problem free or not. No loaner car program.

Q7(Currently sitting in the garage): By far the worst vehicle I have ever had. I have never been behind the wheel of a car so unenjoyable and boring to drive.
Pros: Great interior room. 3rd row.
Cons: EVERYTHING! Extremely dated interior. Boring. Not fun to drive. The lists goes on and on…

BMW X5: They lease much better than Cayenne and easier availability.
Pros: Fun to drive. Better and more advanced technology than anything out there. 4 years of included service. A loaded X5 is cheaper than a base model CayenneS. For a few hundred dollars you can chip the 50i and get 525+ hp out of the engine. 3rd row.
Cons: It’s a BMW… Dealer service departments do not care about their customers as much as Porsche SD do. 2-3 weeks to get a service appointment. Electronic steering is terrible. Known to develop a lot of squeaks and rattles once you put a decent amount of miles on it. Not very aggressive styling. No ride height control. No winter driving mode. AWD is subpar at best.

Cayenne: It’s a Porsche…where can you go wrong!!!
Pros: The Turbo is probably the most fun SUV money can buy. It drives like a sports car. PTV defies the laws of physics. Has roughly 100 fun buttons to push all over the center console! Dealer service departments are amazing. Built like a rock. Seats are more comfortable than JeepGC, X5 and Q7. Has ride height control.
Cons: Interior infotainment system desperately needs upgrading and advancements in technology. IMO, one look in a RR, RR-Sport or X5 and you can see the Cayenne is lacking. Base model is overpriced. Porsche nickel-and-dimes for options most $35K vehicles come standard with. I will stop here since I am sure I will get trolled if I list anymore!

Depending on one’s budget, I would chose the Cayenne Turbo or GTS over anything out there. If your budget is around $75K-$80K then I would go with an X5 or JGC SRT8. Less than $70K, I’d go with the JGC. I do not know anything about the MDX so I do not have any right to comment on that particular make/model.
I would suggest test driving all the vehicles you are looking at and go from there. Once you have narrowed it down to what you want, take a look at their forums and see what people say about them.

Happy car shopping!

-Jim