Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

New Cayenne owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Boostaddiction is on a distinguished road
New Cayenne owner

I just picked up a 2013 Cayenne diesel to replace (sort of) my previous SUV, a 2004 Touareg TDi with a 5L V10.

So far, it's a great improvement, which isn't too surprising as there is a jump from VW to Porsche, as well as 10 years of development. And while all the Touareg V10s of that year were pretty loaded, this one has #technologyandstuff that just didn't exist then. And it was loaded to the gills with options.

I bought it as a daily driver, with the requirement that it had to be able to tow as well. This one has the factory tow package, as well as air suspension and PASM. The air suspension was a requirement for me, as having towed a car hauler many miles with it on the Touraeg, I had first-hand knowledge of what a difference it makes.

The power with the V6 is a bit anemic compared to the V10, but I think it will be adequate for its intended use.

The Cayenne brings me back to the Porsche fold, as we had an 87 951, as well as a 2000 Boxster S, both of which were great cars. I hope the Cayenne is as reliable and enjoyable as those two cars were.

Here are a few pics:

Old 07-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Congrats!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 PM
KBahn is on a distinguished road
Big thumbs up! Hope you enjoy it!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:41 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Congrats, that sounds like a nice find (not many have the AS).

Interesting to hear your comparison against the v10. Everything I've always read about the v10 TDI was that it was underwhelming and under powered for what you would expect for a motor that big.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
congrats! Love the green!
I am looking forward to my first road towing trip with our new AS equipped 2015 on tuesday. The 13 with standard towed fine, but I think this will be even better.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Boostaddiction is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the kind remarks!

I just put in a Prodigy P3 brake controller last Saturday, and it works great. I spent a lot of time on the harness, and it looks good and works well (but didn't take any pics, of course). The harness required the usual VW connector and service wires, as well as a relay, and an add-a-circuit.

I was also pleased to confirm what I had read elsewhere, which was that the newer Cayennes are designed from the factory to work well with LED trailer lights. Unlike the previous tow vehicle (Touareg V10 TDi), this one didn't need an adapter to fake the car into believing it had incandescents.

I'm hauling my project car up to Michigan next week for the Concours America at St Johns, so the Cayenne will definitely get a workout!

I do wonder about the 21" wheels and tires, but I assume that Porsche has selected them with the expected usage (in this case, towing) in mind. When I get new tires, I will probably break from tradition and get the Porsche-specific N1-marked (or whatever it actually is) set instead of just any tire in that size.