Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Removing Air-intake grilles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Removing Air-intake grilles

Hello guys,

I am a new owner of a 2013 Cayenne V6 - White/Luxor beige. I would like to do my second mod to this car (first was Oem aluminum pedals). Before I even purchased the vehicle I knew I wanted to paint the air-intake grilles on the sides of the front bumper. As you guys know, the v6 model comes with exterior paint matched grilles on the sides. I much prefer the look of the S (painted flat black), as it looks more aggressive/sporty. I plan on removing them and plasti-dipping them.

My question is ... How do I remove these grilles? I have tried to find where the tabs are but cannot locate them and am afraid I would break something. Does anyone know of the diagram or a DIY?

Thanks a lot guys! I will post pics soon, once I detail my cayenne.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Bump. Anyone done this before?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 AM
Bump to the top

Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Nope. Other than the headlight washer and tow hook covers, if it's attached to the bumper you have to pull the whole bumper to get it off.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
BTW the painted grill was a cost option on your car. The standard config is an unpainted black plastic.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Phat958 is on a distinguished road
u can prolly dip it without removing them?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by gnat
Nope. Other than the headlight washer and tow hook covers, if it's attached to the bumper you have to pull the whole bumper to get it off.
Sigh... wonder why they made it that way. Do you happen to know if they are connected in tabs or screws?

I thought all V6 cayennes came with painted front grilles? Just like the boxster and cayman. Which is odd since it would cost more to paint.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by Phat958
u can prolly dip it without removing them?
I prob could but it would not look very even and likely cause drip marks, esp with the position/location of the grilles. Vinyl wrap might be a better option.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
I prob could but it would not look very even and likely cause drip marks, esp with the position/location of the grilles. Vinyl wrap might be a better option.
If you do light coats drips aren't a problem. The bigger issue would be protecting the radiators from overspray (unless you have small arms, mine don't fit between the grills vanes ).

As far as the mounting, it's been awhile now, but I think they are bolted on.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 PM
howardhaoxie will become famous soon enough
There are no radiators behind the side grille. I plastidipped mine with them attached and they turned out perfect. I just taped newspapers on the surrounding area to prevent overspray. Spray light coats and if you do enough coats, the excess is easily peelable.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys... I have thought about the plasti-dip route but wasn't sure how it would turn out esp cause it seemed hard to reach the inside portion. I wanted even coats all throughout and assumed the front/exposed portion would just get more of the coats. Any pics you can attach?

Is there a reason why you did not go the vinyl wrap route?

oh and unrelated question... how do you find out who rep'ed you?

Last edited by Qu4ttro; 09-04-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by howardhaoxie
There are no radiators behind the side grille.
Must be the intercoolers on my diesel then.