Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 heated steering retrofit successful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM
F SANE IL is an unknown quantity at this point
I sourced out a heated steering wheel just like mine and also clock spring from the same vin car with heated option. Do I also need to purchase a module as well? The current one won't work?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:01 AM
r1rb is on a distinguished road
Wheel Install Help

I went from a sport design, PDK, no heat wheel to one with heat and mf. Using the adapter and my original clockspring, everything worked except the heat and MF display on the PCM; no fault codes appeared. I then replaced my clockspring with one from a used car with heat and multifunction. With the used clock spring, the heat and multifunction worked on the wheel (still no display on the pcm for MF which I know needs to be coded with PIWIS).

Unfortunately, there were several other issues, including:

- Cruise control doesn't come on when stalk button is pushed
- Voice control doesn't work anymore when stalk button is pushed

- Error messages:
- Fault of headlamps control system (I have PDLS)
-Steering wheel support limited (needs calibration?? I tried moving the wheel from left stop to right and it still has the fault)
-PASM fault (I don't have PASM)
-PSM Loss (I assume it is related to the PASM fault; maybe PSM is off because it is looking for PASM)
-Start stop operation deactiviated

My question is can these be corrected through PIWIS Programming?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 PM
F SANE IL is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by r1rb
I went from a sport design, PDK, no heat wheel to one with heat and mf. Using the adapter and my original clockspring, everything worked except the heat and MF display on the PCM; no fault codes appeared. I then replaced my clockspring with one from a used car with heat and multifunction. With the used clock spring, the heat and multifunction worked on the wheel (still no display on the pcm for MF which I know needs to be coded with PIWIS).

Unfortunately, there were several other issues, including:

- Cruise control doesn't come on when stalk button is pushed
- Voice control doesn't work anymore when stalk button is pushed

- Error messages:
- Fault of headlamps control system (I have PDLS)
-Steering wheel support limited (needs calibration?? I tried moving the wheel from left stop to right and it still has the fault)
-PASM fault (I don't have PASM)
-PSM Loss (I assume it is related to the PASM fault; maybe PSM is off because it is looking for PASM)
-Start stop operation deactiviated

My question is can these be corrected through PIWIS Programming?

Thanks.
I've lurked in PIWIS and saw that you can select specific steering wheel. I bet you need that

Old 03-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Damian Fereday is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you help ?

Originally Posted by G_A
yes. it can be done. PM VIN to me
I’ve just bought a 2016 , cayenne turbo s , which it would appear that the carbon steering wheel with heating was retrofit.

Will anything else other than coding be req’d to enable ? .. and can you help ?

Thanks in advance
damian.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:05 PM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
Damian, send me VIN to check.
if car has not heating from factory you need replaсe clock spring. And proper control unit should be installed inside steering wheel.

Last edited by G_A; 03-10-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:40 PM
K67iceberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Guys

Can I get some help? I installed a new wheel with heated steering button, 2017 cayenne.

I am trying to figure out if the clock spring is the only other part I need. I read here I still need the steering module. Is the steering module inside the clock spring?

Can you guys help.me understand. And what the correct part number for the clock spring and steering module?

Thank you,

Old 03-29-2020, 02:31 AM
Damian Fereday is an unknown quantity at this point
958 Cayenne Turbo

Originally Posted by G_A
Damian, send me VIN to check.
if car has not heating from factory you need replaсe clock spring. And proper control unit should be installed inside steering wheel.
Seems I can’t PM you yet not sent enough mails !!

To best of my knowledge , car did not have heated wheel from factory . In fact OPC gave me the original MF Alcantara wheel when I bought it.

So if I understand correctly I’ll need a clockspring and controller ? to add Heating ?

I need two more messages to open up PM on forum ..

doh !

thanks and regards

Old 04-27-2020, 10:11 AM
adamwilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by snp_cayenne
After the GTS/Turbo DRL adaptor project, I started on a new one where I wanted to try to figure out how to retrofit heated steering into my Cayenne 958. There were some mixed results based on the posts, where some people were able to put in the clockspring from a heated steering module and have the dealer enter an enabling code. Others reported that the service techs weren't able to get the enabling codes from Porsche for VINs that didn't have it from factory. I ran into the same issue, which was we couldn't find the enabling code.

Anyway, I ultimately got it to work. I basically was able to find some steering modules/clock springs from Cayennes that had heated steering from the factory. These were from people that were swapping out their entire units for the sports wheel, so these were spares. It turns out the coding for heat is in the steering module/clock spring. I was able to just take a pre programmed unit and get it to work. The wiring from the fuse up to the connector on the steering module is the same for a heated and non-heated wheel. What's missing is the connector from the steering to the clock spring. I basically just got a heated wheel and replaced my non-heated wheel. The heated steering graphic and the button worked without any additional coding. It did throw some codes. In particular, you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor, which is really easy to do with the PIWIS. After I did that, everything was fine. Just to be safe I wrote the calibration data that I had saved in PIWIS form the original steering module into the new one. The key was that heated steering was already enabled since the steering module came out of Cayenne that had it from factory. I couldn't get this to work with a brand new steering module with nothing coded into it.

I still have an extra pre programmed steering modules/clockspring that I've posted on the classifieds forum.

Can you post a photo with code off steering column ECU ?

Old 01-31-2022, 02:39 PM
SBK1098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Module/clock spring part #

After the GTS/Turbo DRL adaptor project, I started on a new one where I wanted to try to figure out how to retrofit heated steering into my Cayenne 958. There were some mixed results based on the posts, where some people were able to put in the clockspring from a heated steering module and have the dealer enter an enabling code. Others reported that the service techs weren't able to get the enabling codes from Porsche for VINs that didn't have it from factory. I ran into the same issue, which was we couldn't find the enabling code.

Anyway, I ultimately got it to work. I basically was able to find some steering modules/clock springs from Cayennes that had heated steering from the factory. These were from people that were swapping out their entire units for the sports wheel, so these were spares. It turns out the coding for heat is in the steering module/clock spring. I was able to just take a pre programmed unit and get it to work. The wiring from the fuse up to the connector on the steering module is the same for a heated and non-heated wheel. What's missing is the connector from the steering to the clock spring. I basically just got a heated wheel and replaced my non-heated wheel. The heated steering graphic and the button worked without any additional coding. It did throw some codes. In particular, you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor, which is really easy to do with the PIWIS. After I did that, everything was fine. Just to be safe I wrote the calibration data that I had saved in PIWIS form the original steering module into the new one. The key was that heated steering was already enabled since the steering module came out of Cayenne that had it from factory. I couldn't get this to work with a brand new steering module with nothing coded into it.

I still have an extra pre programmed steering modules/clockspring that I've posted on the classifieds forum.

Hi, can you share how you found one that was pre programmed? I found a complete OEM heated steering wheel for cheap and now need the other parts you mentioned. And help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:29 PM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
I got it as a take off from someones else's cayenne that already the heating feature.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:45 PM
I got it as a take off from someones else's cayenne that already the heating feature.

Ok, I've managed to get a part number for the module/clock spring. After I swap the two, do I need to go to the dealership? I don't have a PIWIS.

I don't want to go to all this trouble if I do all the work myself and then I take it to the dealership and they don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Or they say they can't do it, etc.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:00 PM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
That's the issue I ran into. I couldn't find a dealer locally that was willing to re code it for heat. I think in PIWIS you need an activation code and the dealer wasn't able to figure out how to obtain one.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:14 PM
Ok, then How did you come up with this pin code? I'm not in the position to buy a PIWIS so I'm going to have to find somebody to do this for me, dealer or not.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:49 PM
StaleBread is an unknown quantity at this point
I got an enabling code from a Hacker for a hundred bucks... I still can't get it to work... I need to know how to enable the heated steering wheel with the PIWIS II. So far I have gotten the PIWIS II to show the wheel as enabled, but it still doesn't work when I push the heater button. Is there some place to save it other than in the "maintenance/repair" section???

Old 10-31-2022, 05:03 PM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by StaleBread
I got an enabling code from a Hacker for a hundred bucks... I still can't get it to work... there some place to save it other than in the "maintenance/repair" section???
/ask hacker for hundred) How to CODE sw heating. go to manual coding and enable 345 option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 958 heated steering retrofit successful