Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tool to check the 958 base engine oil level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
Tool to check the 958 base engine oil level

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share this tool I found to manually check our 958 base engine oil level. I was surprised when I did the oil change and found out that there was no dipstick last August. Since our base cayenne 958s use the VW 3.6 engine, there is a special tool used by VW Techs to manually check the engine oil level instead of driving it for 5+ miles for the computer to register.

Part number is T40178. If you google around, they can be bought for about $25.00.

Here are some the instructions on how to use this tool:
Click image for larger version

Name:	qZId1QJ.png
Views:	47
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	539211

Name:	hoIefas.png
Views:	32
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	539212

As always, I will post a picture of it when mine arrives in the mail.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche techs use this to manually check the oil level in the bigger engines. Since it has an adjustable slide, it's just a matter of knowing where to set the slide at. Maybe someone who has access to PIWIS can chime in if it shows this kind of information? There's no way a tech is going to drive for 5+ miles after every oil change he/she does.

Last edited by 9000RPM; 04-02-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:24 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I took a look at the data on oil from the ICarScan - and found a readout of oil-level: It's under the oil-pressure data section on the engine DME.

"0110 Engine oil level sensor 3.15 inch" - I imagine this corresponds to some spec that the Porsche techs get with the PIWIS. That's on a 2011 Turbo. Be interested in what your V6 reads..

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Wait... where would you insert this tool? I had the impression that our engines did not come with a oil dipstick tube.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 PM
9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough9000RPM is a jewel in the rough
Arrived today and thought I post some pics of this thing.

Name:	y8F3Uck.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	539131

Name:	nTK5WS1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	539132

Name:	tC2XB06.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	773.9 KB
ID:	539133

Name:	ZVMWsUI.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	666.3 KB
ID:	539134

Name:	gcivLsv.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	539135

My driveway is on an incline so this reading is probably not accurate. I'll check the reading on level surface this weekend.

Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Wait... where would you insert this tool? I had the impression that our engines did not come with a oil dipstick tube.
See the pics where the tube is located.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I took a look at the data on oil from the ICarScan - and found a readout of oil-level: It's under the oil-pressure data section on the engine DME.

"0110 Engine oil level sensor 3.15 inch" - I imagine this corresponds to some spec that the Porsche techs get with the PIWIS. That's on a 2011 Turbo. Be interested in what your V6 reads..
Don,

I haven't tried it out on the icarscan yet. I'll check it next time I have it connected. I still prefer the traditional way of checking the oil level.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM
I did the oil change yesterday. Good thing it's only a yearly thing because getting the oil filter housing out is such a PITA. Oil spills everywhere. Every time.

I poured in 6 qt of the Total Quartz INEO 5W-30. Ran the car for a bit and checked the oil level with the dipstick. It looks pretty accurate. I then added another 1/2qt. Does anyone else run this oil? Its got the Porsche C30 spec and a lot cheaper ($6.52/qt) than the Mobil 1 ESP formula. I'll get an oil analysis on this oil during next year's oil change.

Don, I checked it out on my icarscan and the data read something like 2.11 inches. There is another data PID "oil warning level threshold" right underneath that with a reading of around "1.18"

Another thing I noticed is that the icarscan will allow you to get a reading right away. I think it forces the sensor to get a reading instead of driving it around for awhile. This must be similar to what the PIWIS does. I closed the hood, turn the key to ignition and checked the oil level and it gave me an instant reading. It also displayed the reading on the multi-function display.

Attached Images  

Last edited by 9000RPM; 08-08-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM
CayennePepper is an unknown quantity at this point
It seems Amazon sells the OEM tool, but its listed for audi engines:
https://www.amazon.com/T40178-Engine.../dp/B01A6RB3SE

maybe this tool is cross manufacturer approved? I can see where you can adjust the sitting height of the stick where the knurled **** is.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:25 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9000RPM
Don, I checked it out on my icarscan and the data read something like 2.11 inches. There is another data PID "oil warning level threshold" right underneath that with a reading of around "1.18"

Another thing I noticed is that the icarscan will allow you to get a reading right away. I think it forces the sensor to get a reading instead of driving it around for awhile. This must be similar to what the PIWIS does. I closed the hood, turn the key to ignition and checked the oil level and it gave me an instant reading. It also displayed the reading on the multi-function display.
Yeah - I think the iCarScan is really the way to go if you're doing this sort of thing as a DIY. Let's see... 2.11" = ~54mm. I believe my Turbo is 80mm (from memory - but I'll have to check.) Certainly easier than having to take the car for a drive to get it to check the oil level.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:44 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
This is a very interesting info.
When I had a warranty service at a stealership, the service manager told me that they removed engine oil a bit since the level was too high. I thought that they removed oil through the drain plug underneath the vehicle.

Aha! They must remove engine oil through the dipstick hole by using a vacuum fluid evacuator

As a matter of fact, I had to remove engine oil myself since I saw a warning sign of "exceeded engine oil level." By accident, I did add more oil than recommended.

It was a messy job to loosen the drain plug but I successfully made engine oil level right!

It must be much easier to check the oil level than checking the multi-display panel.

Thanks for this great alternative to check the engine oil level as well as to remove/adjust oil level using a vacuum evacuator.

Have a great day!

I did the oil change yesterday. Good thing it's only a yearly thing because getting the oil filter housing out is such a PITA. Oil spills everywhere. Every time.

I poured in 6 qt of the Total Quartz INEO 5W-30. Ran the car for a bit and checked the oil level with the dipstick. It looks pretty accurate. I then added another 1/2qt. Does anyone else run this oil? Its got the Porsche C30 spec and a lot cheaper ($6.52/qt) than the Mobil 1 ESP formula. I'll get an oil analysis on this oil during next year's oil change.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Dominicansensacio is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine oil

About to change the oil on my 2012 958 v6 soon. It will be the fist time since ive purchased it. So how many quarts does it require? I read your post you mentioned you put in 6 qt took it for a spin later added 1/2 qt. So 6.5? Or 7

Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dominicansensacio
About to change the oil on my 2012 958 v6 soon. It will be the fist time since ive purchased it. So how many quarts does it require? I read your post you mentioned you put in 6 qt took it for a spin later added 1/2 qt. So 6.5? Or 7
I put in 6.5qt total.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Defratos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CayennePepper
It seems Amazon sells the OEM tool, but its listed for audi engines:
https://www.amazon.com/T40178-Engine.../dp/B01A6RB3SE

maybe this tool is cross manufacturer approved? I can see where you can adjust the sitting height of the stick where the knurled **** is.
So is this amazon item the correct one?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 AM
^ can anyone confirm this please.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
So is this amazon item the correct one?
I guess so? It's the same part number.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:25 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about

Agreed !!! I did oil change last month, i removed the entire panel underneath. Remove the small plug on the cover cap to drain some oil out. The tough part was to turn the oil filter cap to get it out from the tight space. Spilled some oil ...LOL ...

Durametric does the job beautifully to reset the service. The machine is paid for itself. Porche dealer charges me $279 for oil service with discount.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:15 AM
BTW I bought this tool, opened my engine bay and couldn't find where to insert the measuring tool.

I'm guessing this only works for the 958 and NOT the 958.2

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Defratos; 05-11-2017 at 03:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tool to check the 958 base engine oil level